GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of transferring my lease on a 2016 Volt. GM Financial goes out of its way to make this process as time-consuming as possible. First, it's taken a week for GM Financial to approve the lessee's credit. There isn't anything wrong with his credit (a credit check was run before submitting the application to GM); and a credit check takes minutes to run. Why GM takes a week is beyond me. Second, it takes GM Financial 30 days to transfer the lease--and that's after the credit has been approved. No one whom I've spoken to at GM Financial can explain what takes 30 days, but they insist that it can't be done before that period of time. So I'm looking at ~40 days to assign the lease to someone else. This is ridiculous and just seems like an effort to discourage people from transferring their leases.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Based on my leasing and buying experience, avoid leasing. Wait until the end. Then you'll really have some complaints.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
GMAC, which handles a sleuth of vehicles besides the Volt, just recently allowed transfers...Your guess is as good as mine, but it could be they misjudged the demand of folks wanting to swap, they're undermanned and don't want to hire a bunch of people since they believe there will be less transfers in the near future...

Thank you for reporting this as I'm sure more and more will be swapping in and out of Volts due to lifestyle changes and with the Bolt coming later this year...Can we ask what made you want to move on from the Volt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I'm reluctantly moving on from the Volt because I'm moving out of the country.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hope you are excited about the move. The lessor doesn't have to allow for assignments and it will want to satisfy itself that it's not taking on additional risk with the assignment. That may be the reason for the delay. Or it may simply be that this is a newish process and the bugs haven't been worked out. In any event, seems like it will work out after a delay.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Feel fortunate there is even an option to transfer your lease. Just a couple of months ago, lease transfers weren't possible with GM Financial leases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm trying to transfer my Prius lease so that I could get a Volt. Toyota Financial states it could take up to 60 days. Yikes!!

In that time the new person could change their mind, the deal i have on the Volt could expire, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts