GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 1500W inverter running off my '14 Volt parked in the driveway for 2 days to help get me through a recent power outage. It powers my fridge. After an hour or two, the car shuts down and has to be re "started". Is there some kind of safety mechanism that is triggered when the car is not moved after an extended time ?
If I didn't catch it, I fear the inverter would drain the 12 volt battery. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It was a change in programming that shuts the car down for safety reasons and is also being programmed into earlier Volts. If you do a search, you can find bypass methods to go around the shutdown. Look at the bottom of the page.

·
4,881 Posts

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Yes, GM got sued by an idiot who left his car running in his garage all night claiming it was GM's fault. Blame him.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes, GM got sued by an idiot who left his car running in his garage all night claiming it was GM's fault. Blame him.
Agreed. That and the triple honk we attribute that "idiot" and we all have complained ever since.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've heard putting a rubber band on the shifter button will prevent it from shutting down, as it counts as "activity", a bit like jiggling the mouse to keep a computer awake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect. I figured it was another weird overkill safety feature. Great replies ! Thanks all.
This is why my other car is a 1932 Chevy.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've heard putting a rubber band on the shifter button will prevent it from shutting down, as it counts as "activity", a bit like jiggling the mouse to keep a computer awake.
Yes. I have seen this work around mentioned on other threads and that it works. Just use the emergency brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I failed to mention my 20 year old fridge's compressor died after 2 days on the inverter. Since the Volt was automatically shutting down, I theorize the inverter was still trying to power up the fridge's compressor surge power with a low voltage condition in the 12v battery, thereby frying the fridge compressor motor. Electric motors hate low voltage and I didn't get to it in time maybe.

Fridge was 20 years anyway so I wasn't too upset. BUT, maybe this is a warning to those that use inverters on these cars. I'll be using the rubber band trick next time for sure ! It would be nice if my new fridge has a built in low voltage protector.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What were the expensive items in your fridge that needed to be protected? Medication, a dozen eggs, milk, turkey cold cuts, six pack of beer?

Many beers taste awful warm. Cask ale is usually served at 50 degrees F.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I failed to mention my 20 year old fridge's compressor died after 2 days on the inverter. Since the Volt was automatically shutting down, I theorize the inverter was still trying to power up the fridge's compressor surge power with a low voltage condition in the 12v battery, thereby frying the fridge compressor motor. Electric motors hate low voltage and I didn't get to it in time maybe.

Fridge was 20 years anyway so I wasn't too upset. BUT, maybe this is a warning to those that use inverters on these cars. I'll be using the rubber band trick next time for sure ! It would be nice if my new fridge has a built in low voltage protector.
Is your inverter a pure sine wave version? If not, that can affect motors, etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep, I have to refuse this recall every time I bring my 2013 in to service for anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts