GM Volt Forum banner

What is the primary reason for your interest in plug-in hybrids?

• 1.) Environmental - I think the Volt will help save the environment.

Votes: 36 11.3%
  • 2.) Patriotic – We need to get off the addiction to foreign oil.

Votes: 98 30.7%
  • 3.) Financial - $4 a gallon gas is killing me. I need cheaper transportation.

Votes: 80 25.1%
  • 4.) Cool Factor – I’m an early adopter and this car is cool.

Votes: 77 24.1%
  • 5.) Other

Votes: 28 8.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There’s a lot of interest in this car, but why?

What is the primary reason for your interest in plug-in hybrids?

·
Registered
240 Posts
See, I don't have a "primary" reason. I am not a zealot, or a treehugger, or need to be an "early adopter', etc.

I spend a lot on gas and drive alot of miles, so thats part.
I think we should get off oil, thats part too.
I will only buy a GM vehicle, thats part.
I want us to be more environmentally concerned. I have two daughters that have to live in this world after me. Thats part of it.
I liked the design of the concept Volt. That part too.
Electric drive reduces my "fuel cost" uncertainty in the future. Thats part.

So for me, the reason I want a Volt: Its from GM, I like it, it meets my needs, it makes good sense, it will reduce my financial uncertainty in the future.

I would hope most people take this point of view.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I want a vehicle that can operate on the near universal availability of electricity. No tethering to a single source or cartel.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I chose the cool / early adopter option because I guess that's what it boils down to for me. I'm not really buying the car to save the world or impress my neighbors. I'm not buying it to screw the Arabs, I don't think they'll even notice. I'm not buying this car to save a buck on gas, because I don't think there will be any savings for the early adopters.

I'm buying this car because I believe that this technology is a step in the right direction for the automobile to go. Electricfication of all our vehicles is where we need to go and this bridges the gap while battery technology catches up. Parallel hybrids don't really do this IMO. I also want to support GM and American manufacturing. I'm not really big GM freak, so I would feel the same way if Ford or Chrysler were doing this, but not so much so if Toyota or Honda, and I'm sorry, I'm never buying a Chinese car until they force me to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would feel the same way if Ford or Chrysler were doing this, but not so much so if Toyota or Honda, and I'm sorry, I'm never buying a Chinese car until they force me to.
I'm right with you on this. I do pull moreso for GM than the other domestics, but if Ford was doing the Volt, I would be just as receptive to the technology and lobbying GM hard to follow their lead.

I will not buy a car from any import brand. I don't care what is written or said about them. I support the domestics, period.

Maybe the fact the Volt IS from GM is the main reason I would buy one. That seems too strong a statement for me though. I think GM has the best chance to design an electric car with some style. With his track record and influence, I can not imagine Lutz allowing the Volt to look like a Prius clone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just want to quit letting the oil companies rape my bank account every time I drive somewhere. The execs. of those companies are just so smug. they sit there in Congressional hearing, listen to our elected representatives tell them what their obsene profits are doing to the citizens of this country and to our economy, and smugly spout back dribble about how they "reinvest" those profits in dry holes in the ground or whatever. I just want to stick the screw to them for once. I want to show them that I don't need what they sell.

:mad: I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymore! :mad:

Now GM, hurry up and give me the tools to make this happen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
These are the numbers

The peak in US and Global oil production was 1970 and 2006, respectively. After the global peak, the increasing demands of people and industry are trying to buy oil faster than the diminishing supplies allow it to be pumped out of the ground. Thus price, on average, will go up and up. Our Trade Deficit last year was $0.87 Trillion. This year, at current oil prices, our Trade Deficit from oil alone will be $0.55 Trillion.

Abu Dhabi owns the Chrysler and GM building, the most expensive parts of London, and parts of the major banks in the US. Foreigners now own an ever increasing part of America - - at present about $9 trillion of U.S. financial assets, including 13% of all stocks, 13% of agencies, and 27% of corporate bonds. According to the Federal Government Debt Report they also own 46% of Treasury bonds & bills.

We buy OPEC oil and burn it up. They take the money and buy our banks, buildings, treasury bonds, mortgages, and soon our major businesses. The Volt represents a way to turn this around.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I spend a lot on gas and drive alot of miles, so thats part.
I think we should get off oil, thats part too.
I will only buy a GM vehicle, thats part.
I want us to be more environmentally concerned. I have two daughters that have to live in this world after me. Thats part of it.
I liked the design of the concept Volt. That part too.
Electric drive reduces my "fuel cost" uncertainty in the future. Thats part.
Base on your list from top to bottom, I'm going to take the top of that list as your "primary" reason. I know that you have said that you don't have a "primary" reason. In my view, You may not notice or won't admit it.

I'll admit, "I'm oilaholic." I would like to buy a volt cause I spend a lot on gas. I also don't want the gas telling me how to drive my car cause of the price. There I said it. :D

I do agree with what tom was saying. In global companies like GM, Are really global. The idea of support "domestics" company are fading slowly. I would have to change my way of thinking of what is support domestics. I would have to start thinking as domestics workforce vs international workforce. Even Toyota have a workforce in the US as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Base on your list from top to bottom, I'm going to take the top of that list as your "primary" reason. I know that you have said that you don't have a "primary" reason. In my view, You may not notice or won't admit it.
Interesting, I wouldn't have taken my list in order of importance, per say. I do spend a lot on gas, but I could reduce my gas bill by 50% right now if I choose to settle for some inconveniences and alter my work schedule. I choose not to at this point. As I implied to DaV8or, if the Volt was being built by Toyota, it would be a no go for me. I look at the Volt as GM's way to rebound and become profitable again.

I WILL admit these things as TRUE FACTS about me:

1) I will need another car ~2011.
2) I won't buy anything not made by GM.
3) I will not buy a car with no style.

So the Volt is in the running certainly, for lots of reasons. But if it looks like a Prius, or a bubble, or a turd, it is out. I'll wait for an E-Flex Camaro.

I do have some standards. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
This was a tough vote. I had a hard time choosing between Financial, Patriotic, and Cool Factor. But I got it down to an ordered list:

1) Financial. According to my calculations, and with gas prices like they are now, the Volt will most likely not be more economical than a gas car because it costs at least double that of a normal gas car. But with each increase in gas prices brings much better hopes for the Volt. I expect by 2011, the Volt will make financial sense.

2) Patriotic. More focus toward domestic energy is beneficial to our national security. Radical Islam was not a problem until WE started funding it (through the CIA and through our oil addiction). Driving cars like the Volt can only help our nation.

3) Cool factor. I'm not normally an early adopter, except for things that I am very passionate about. I really hope the Volt isn't as silent as Lutz says it is, because there's something about that electric motor whine that puts a smile on my face. The cool factor really takes into consideration everything else. Economical, patriotic, environmental, etc... and puts them all together into one car... it's more than just transportation, it's almost like a symbol of progress.

4) Environmental. If gas prices weren't like they are, I wouldn't have a problem with driving a V8. I guess I'm like most Americans, and fail to really comprehend the impact emissions have on the environment and peoples health. But I think the Volt will bring to me better awareness. And that will just go to boost the cool factor above.

5) Other. Convenience (which might go into the cool factor) is probably a big thing people worry about when they hear "electric car". "Who wants to plug in a car?" "That's inconvenient!" But I don't necessary find going to the gas station to be convenient. Just imagine that if every time your cell phone (or laptop, or PDA, etc...) ran out of juice, you had to go to the gas station to fill it up. Sure, it might be quicker. But that's not convenient. That's a hassle. It's much simpler to just plug it in at night from the comfort and convenience of your own home. The fact that it takes much of the night to charge isn't really that big of a deal, considering we are asleep "recharging" ourselves.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My choice was #2 patriotic because it wouldn't be patriotic to:
  1. Transfer large sums of this countries wealth over seas by purchasing gas/oil from nasty nations that wish our destruction. Their fat bank account can buy some very effective weapons.
  2. Not support the troops by my maintaining demand for gas/oil. When I use gas/oil it requires someone to maintain stability in that region. Its pretty sad we need to devote/sacrifice soldiers lives to making sure we can drive gasoline cars when alternatives are/would be available.
  3. Not strengthen our power grid, develop energy sources like solar, wind, tidal, nuclear, coal etc... The monies used to buy electricity stay right here in this nation.
  4. Buy or help maintain the world price for gas/oil where dictators collect the money and never distribute it to their citizens.
  5. Disallow choice. I as a citizen will have the choice to put up a photovoltaic array to power the car and sell excess energy back to the grid lowering the need for coal, and nuclear plants leading to an healthier nation. It would be a great thing as an individual to be part of a great solution.
We will never hear the above from our leaders. We have no leaders.

Sorry this post looks messy, I used the websites editor, used a numbered list 1-5 and it didn't post the way it was edited...

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are many political & environmental reasons that I would buy a plug-in hybrid. As Tom Friedman said, "Green is the new Red, White and Blue".

However, in the interest of getting plug-in hybrids off the ground, I want to turn our attention to the possibility of appealing to "hard-core" automobile enthusiasts. I think that the E-flex platform will shine at higher performance levels.

1) Unlike a 7 liter V-8, an electric motor with 2x the peak power/torque as the Chevy Volt should be more efficient, because doubling all the copper and silicon will make resistances lower in the motor and inverter.

2) Brakes won't have to be oversized because regen capacity is also increased by 2x.

3) Performance drivers will love the instant torque and low center of gravity.

So, in answer to the question that Lyle posted yesterday on the main page, "who will buy a Chevy Volt" I would counter "who wouldn't want an E-Flex 'Vette?" Matching the existing 'Vette's performance wouldn't even cost that much more than the Volt. It's an opportunity to set the E-Flex brand image - look what the E-Flex 'Vette can do - now buy the E-Flex Volt. We want America to desire the E-Flex brand.

Otherwise, E-Flex will be marginalized by American car culture as appealing only to "personal virtues" of conservation, or dismissed after doing a quick ROI calculation.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with Joshua 100%.

Except for the E-Flex Vette. I would prefer all that focus going towards the E-Flex Camaro.

In the non-gasoline future, I would like to see the Camaro, or some derivative of it, become the desired "E-Flex Vette".

As a Vette owner for 25 yrs ( 1971 350hp restored Stingray in Blue :) ) I think the Vette may have to be respectfully discontinued as perhaps the last all gasoline vehicle GM makes. That car is linked emotionally to the gasoline past; with its heritage and its place in automotive history, I think it should remain "gasoline pure", so to speak. The Vette faithful in the clubs I know, would not drive an E-Flex Vette. They would rather see it's historic run ended, than move to new propulsion.

But an E-Flex, high output Camaro would be sweet, indeed. THAT car would peg the "desire meter".

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Vette faithful in the clubs I know, would not drive an E-Flex Vette. They would rather see it's historic run ended, than move to new propulsion.
Great feedback & I think just proves my point that the barrier to entry for the whole E-flex platform (not just the Vette) is the perception that "there's no substitute for displacement". Having an E-Flex Vette would be a real statement of what is possible with electric drive. Its performance would speak for itself, and will show people that electric drive beats big iron [aluminum] hands down. The efficiency of the E-flex powertrain should be reframed as a marketing tool as allowing more horsepower to fit under the hood than the current model Vette. That, I am sure, will convert Vette faithful.

I also think that GM could make a good profit from an E-flex Vette because its battery would be the same size as the Volt.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Well all of the above really.

Foriegn oil check
Four dollar gasoline check
The environment check

When you can get off the gas and charge for free off solar PV it is just a no brainer. It supports my politics, my, financial goals and it is pretty cool.

I found it interesting that when many people got their Volt they looked at conservation and many got enough savings to pay for the charging. :cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
All of the above, but the pleasant surprise was the quality of the car. I think my Volt is made as well or better than the similar size Lexus or BMW.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The peak in US and Global oil production was 1970 and 2006, respectively. After the global peak, the increasing demands of people and industry are trying to buy oil faster than the diminishing supplies allow it to be pumped out of the ground. Thus price, on average, will go up and up. Our Trade Deficit last year was $0.87 Trillion. This year, at current oil prices, our Trade Deficit from oil alone will be $0.55 Trillion.

Abu Dhabi owns the Chrysler and GM building, the most expensive parts of London, and parts of the major banks in the US. Foreigners now own an ever increasing part of America - - at present about $9 trillion of U.S. financial assets, including 13% of all stocks, 13% of agencies, and 27% of corporate bonds. According to the Federal Government Debt Report they also own 46% of Treasury bonds & bills.

We buy OPEC oil and burn it up. They take the money and buy our banks, buildings, treasury bonds, mortgages, and soon our major businesses. The Volt represents a way to turn this around.
I agree completely. Oil imports have caused a gigantic transfer of wealth away from our country for decades. It doesn't matter that Canada and Mexico are beneficiaries numbers 1 & 2. I realize that some of that oil was used to manufature goods that are later exported, but it's a crack-like habit that needs to be broken and additional production within our borders is a temporary solution at best.

The insurance that the Volt offers against higher gasoline prices in the future is a big plus, too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just want the war to end.. No more people have to die because I want to drive my car. I might be anti-Patriotic?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts