GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Owned a 2015 Volt for a while and it had the TURN SIGNALS IN THE MIRRORS which I consider a MUST HAVE SAFETY Item so Drivers around you KNOW What you are doing and WHAT to EXPEXT (especially in California FULL of KAMIKAZI Drivers from 0 to 100+ mph from every stop and ON the Freeways!
I bought a 2016 Volt Premier and LOVE the Car & the DEAL (20% GM Discount + 4500 dealer discount = 12500 Off Before Fed & State)...
But soon discovered GM had removed the Outside Turn Signal Lights from the Mirrors?????
I understand bottom Line and cutbacks...HOWEVER, I CONSIDER THIS A MUST HAVE SAFETY FEATURE which the 2015 did have??
What do you think??

OR, Just GIVE US A MALIBU with the VOLTEC DRIVE TRAIN and 100+ Mile Range Battery:)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
RE: mirror turn signals, could be that they are required for European cars for regulatory reasons, which is why they were on the Gen 1 Volts. Gen 2 Volts aren't being sold in Europe, and the U.S. doesn't require them, so they were cut.

As for Homelink? Probably a pure $$$ decision. Maybe less than half of Gen 1 owners used Homelink, so they took that data as justification to cut it out of the Gen 2s.

btw, sweet deal on your '16. You may own the record for "best deal on a Gen 2" so far. :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
RE: mirror turn signals, could be that they are required for European cars for regulatory reasons, which is why they were on the Gen 1 Volts. Gen 2 Volts aren't being sold in Europe, and the U.S. doesn't require them, so they were cut.

As for Homelink? Probably a pure $$$ decision. Maybe less than half of Gen 1 owners used Homelink, so they took that data as justification to cut it out of the Gen 2s.

btw, sweet deal on your '16. You may own the record for "best deal on a Gen 2" so far. :)
This.

While it is far from a MUST HAVE feature, it is helpful.

Search HOMELINK here on the forum for many discussions.

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
The Gen 1 Volt was exported to countries (Europe) that require the side view indicators. It's not a SAFETY REQUIREMENT in the US. (Caps added in keeping with the OP). :)

I too like the side view indicators and was disappointed they were dropped in Gen 2. I think the Bolt will have them due to the export thing. I also think GM should have a head restraint for every seat belt. The middle rear seat does not. Most (all?) European cars do have head restraints for all passengers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There are three reasons automakers do things:
1) Money.
2) Money.
3) Money.

I suspect that they dropped Homelink and signalling mirrors for reason #2.

I'm sure that they have these things down to a science and have determined the increase in cost necessary to include these decreases sales more than including these features increases them. Most people, when looking to buy a car, don't think about the Homelink or the signalling mirrors. But they DO think about the car's cost.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
No exports is correct for the mirrors...

Universal Garage Door openers is unknown...When GM went from a homelink rearview mirror which available to the majority of cars to its own opener located into the overhead console, it greatly reduced the openers availability...With Chevy, cheaper base trims do not have an opener...The Cruze does not have a trim or option at all and likely, whoever makes the features/options decisions purposely omitted it from all small Chevy vehicles...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Those signal lights on the mirrors are not cheap. I just had to buy a replacement for our MB. Nearly $50 each. (*) Doubt a GM part would be much less. The base MSRP on the 2016 is less than the base MSRP was on the 2015. No doubt leaving those and Homelink out those helped provide that reduction.

Although I don't have a use for it, so many on this forum have complained about lack of Homelink, GM should have at least made a Homelink mirror a dealer installed option. If someone at GM took the time to look into it, they probably already have the mirror in their parts system for some vehicle or another.

(*) - Of course right after I bought it, the original started working again. Now I get to stock the spare because with the old one starting to become intermittent, it will need to be replaced soon anyway.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Outside mirrors and Homelink are products of Gentex a west Michigan company. Gentex is the supplier of auto-dimming mirrors for just about every manufacturer. No auto-dimming on the Volt either.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Outside mirrors and Homelink are products of Gentex a west Michigan company. Gentex is the supplier of auto-dimming mirrors for just about every manufacturer. No auto-dimming on the Volt either.
Auto dimming rear view mirror does come on the Gen 2 Premium trim.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I Owned a 2015 Volt for a while and it had the TURN SIGNALS IN THE MIRRORS which I consider a MUST HAVE SAFETY Item so Drivers around you KNOW What you are doing and WHAT to EXPEXT (especially in California FULL of KAMIKAZI Drivers from 0 to 100+ mph from every stop and ON the Freeways!
I bought a 2016 Volt Premier and LOVE the Car & the DEAL (20% GM Discount + 4500 dealer discount = 12500 Off Before Fed & State)...
But soon discovered GM had removed the Outside Turn Signal Lights from the Mirrors?????
I understand bottom Line and cutbacks...HOWEVER, I CONSIDER THIS A MUST HAVE SAFETY FEATURE which the 2015 did have??
What do you think??

OR, Just GIVE US A MALIBU with the VOLTEC DRIVE TRAIN and 100+ Mile Range Battery:)
Because Chevy intently listened to its customers who drive Volts and they overwhelmingly argued that turn signals in the mirrors, homelink, power seats with memory, and a moonroof were simply not worth the .5 miles of range that would have been lost....

Cough, Cough...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Every vehicle that GM builds changes fron year to year why? Who knows . They put good thing on a vehicles and then delete a year or so later. I sent a letter to GM one year about this and went on deaf ears. I likes the Turn signal on the mirrors and the Pedestrian alert I had on my 2014 now both are are gone on my 17. Dumb And ya I liked my CD also. At least Dodge offers it as an option. Be the last GM I buy if they keep up removing stuff.:mad: Later RJD

·
Registered
208 Posts
What do you think??

the reason gm reduced the features of a fully loaded gen1 is gm wanted everyone to be able to afford a volt,and by having a basic stripped down volt gm thought more people would be able to get a loan to buy this car
gen1 volts didn't really sell like gm thought they would because of the steep price tag
my fully loaded premier was $39,680 before any trade-in or discounts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
the reason gm reduced the features of a fully loaded gen1 is gm wanted everyone to be able to afford a volt
How much do you think the Chevy's inhouse homelink equivalent and added a turn signal to an already powered mirror really costs?

Despite missing the turn signal mirrors and homelink, we could say the Gen2 has more features over the Gen1...What lost is the logic...Someone decided to increase the 3.3kW charging to only 3.6kW, not 6.6-7.2kW, and to never make DCFC an option...3.6kW means GM thought no one would destination charge and would nearly exclusively plug in at home...Therefore it makes logical sense to include a garage door opener but that didn't happen...

·
Registered
242 Posts
How much do you think the Chevy's inhouse homelink equivalent and added a turn signal to an already powered mirror really costs?
It's a minor (but real) inconvenience that the 2017 Volt does not come with HOMELINK, even on the Premiere Trim. Our last three cars (Nissan Maxima, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius) have all had this, and the feature has worked seamlessly with all cases. (minor nitpick: white house button-icon wears away rather quickly with repeated button pushes to open/close garage)

Why they included a buggy, awkwardly located, and rather incompatible Qi INDUCTIVE device charger instead of this far more useful feature is simply beyond logic.

Also, the turn-signals on the mirror could have easily been included in one of the driver safety packages which are optional at all trim levels, but I digress...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Totally agree about the charger--I'd much rather have homelink (and a USB or two in the center console). They could've at least added an option, even "dealer installed" at three times the cost it should be for homelink.

Are there no "side mounted" turn signals? My Saab had them on the side front of the car; my VW has them in the mirrors, and I like the Saab's better -- you don't get blinded by the turn signals in the side mirrors at night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a minor (but real) inconvenience that the 2017 Volt does not come with HOMELINK, even on the Premiere Trim. Our last three cars (Nissan Maxima, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius) have all had this, and the feature has worked seamlessly with all cases. (minor nitpick: white house button-icon wears away rather quickly with repeated button pushes to open/close garage)

Why they included a buggy, awkwardly located, and rather incompatible Qi INDUCTIVE device charger instead of this far more useful feature is simply beyond logic.

Also, the turn-signals on the mirror could have easily been included in one of the driver safety packages which are optional at all trim levels, but I digress...
Our new 2016 Toyota RAV4 4 SE does not have HomeLink or an option for it. For my Volt I bought a small keyfob opener off of EBay and stuck it on the overhead panel. I don't even see it up there. Works well, but I do wish they didn't remove it. Just being a bit cheap in my eyes.

Dave

·
Registered
677 Posts
No, even the Corvette no longer has it...

The Cruze does not have a trim or option at all and likely, whoever makes the features/options decisions purposely omitted it from all small Chevy vehicles...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Our new 2016 Toyota RAV4 4 SE does not have HomeLink or an option for it. For my Volt I bought a small keyfob opener off of EBay and stuck it on the overhead panel. I don't even see it up there. Works well, but I do wish they didn't remove it. Just being a bit cheap in my eyes.

Dave
Why not just use the garage door opener? That's what I've done so far -- just put the opener on the passenger side's sun shade. The benefit for me is that the garage door opener has much better range than does Homelink. I still don't like to have a garage door opener in the car; I think homelink is cleaner. And if you have multiple homes (which at one time we did), it's nice to not worry about carrying yet another garage door opener. Since I need to only open one garage door now, I'm hesitant in spending money for a rear view mirror with Homelink, especially since that's the only feature I'd be gaining (already have auto dimming).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts