GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ready to sell my Porsche Boxster S to buy the concept vehicle, but lost all interest when I saw the production vehicle. Why in the world would they make a ground breaking car look like every other boring cheap car on the road? At the least the Prius has a unique image. I guess GM lost their balls when it came to the design.

·
3,689 Posts
I was ready to sell my Porsche Boxster S to buy the concept vehicle, but lost all interest when I saw the production vehicle. Why in the world would they make a ground breaking car look like every other boring cheap car on the road? At the least the Prius has a unique image. I guess GM lost their balls when it came to the design.

The way your priorities are I recommend you stick with the ICE. Don't worry, there are plenty of people that are going to line up to help fix our oil problem. In the beginning the volumes are going to be low so if you are not really into it it's probably best you don't take the space of someone who is. You can follow later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM shouldn't depend on charity!

Do you think GM will survive on charity? Think of the ad. Buy a Volt to save the world -- just don't pay attention to its poor design. There will soon be numerous beautiful unique cars from every manufacturer -- think Prius, Mini, Smart. People want a new design to go with their new green technolgy. If GM isn't incredibily competitive right now, they might not ever be a healthy company again.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I guess GM lost their balls when it came to the design.
No, they lost drag. Besides, I bet more people will like the production Volt over the "edgy" concept Volt. That's the idea, of course. Why make some super-styled, edgy vehicle that will appeal to 0.01% of the auto-buying public?

Some of us value brains over balls, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do you think GM will survive on charity? Think of the ad. Buy a Volt to save the world -- just don't pay attention to its poor design. There will soon be numerous beautiful unique cars from every manufacturer -- think Prius, Mini, Smart. People want a new design to go with their new green technolgy. If GM isn't incredibily competitive right now, they might not ever be a healthy company again.
Do you think charity has helped Toyota sell many thousands of priuses and hundreds of thousands of units of the Camry? These are not exciting cars, and if you think the Prius is beautiful, you're a lover of function and not form... and if you're a lover of function, the Volt is powerfully attractive.

I get that you don't like the Volt. You're entitled... but if you think that people buy small to midsize practical sedans because they love them, you're sadly mistaken and that's perhaps why you're not a marketing exec with Toyota, which has made a huge business of selling bland but efficient.

GM has to sell the Volt in the real world, not the world of people who want a car that looks like a Corvette, parks like a Mini, runs down the road like a ZR1, uses no gasoline and smells like roses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, they lost drag. Besides, I bet more people will like the production Volt over the "edgy" concept Volt. That's the idea, of course. Why make some super-styled, edgy vehicle that will appeal to 0.01% of the auto-buying public?

Some of us value brains over balls, anyway. ;)
Touche'

AND SOME OF US VALUE TESTOSTERONE over brains!

The whiners (those crying about the "edgy" concept Volt being "edged-out") by a car appealing to the masses... is all their blood going to their P#&&!$ instead of their brain?

The aim of the Volt is to get a cutting-edge vehicle in showrooms that moms and dads would run their kids to school, etc. I think the Boxer (Mazada Miata) and the likes, are "fringe" vehicles. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone in my part of Texas driving a fringe vehicle. The market for a fringe vehicle is pretty darned low in this lousy economy of ours.

I for one, think it would be painful getting into and out of the concept "edgy" Volt. The "new" Volt looks OK to me, and I don't think I'll have to crawl out of it. It looks like it has better visibility, fewer blind spots, more trunk space and can hold 4 "oversized" American adults. (I for one need to drop about 30 pounds myself, and if you look at the American market, not many of us could squeeze into the Concept Volt without some difficulty.)

I've owned 2 each Z-28s, a 240-Z, a Fiat Spider prior to hitting age 28... But I'm over 50 and I'm more interested in a car that will get me from point A to point B in an affordable fashion. I don't give a squat if I am making a "statement" while I'm on the road driving a really stylish car. I do give a squat about sending $700 BILLION to countries who hate us. I do give a squat about sending even MORE billions and billions to China and other countries. I for one pray that GM will get this one right, that it will please the masses, not just the "fringe" and stylish group wanting people to watch them as they drive down the road.

To me, the Volt gives me a chance to spend my $$$ on an AMERICAN designed car, made by America labor.

We are bleeding the wealth of this nation away by buying foreign oil, foreign clothing, foreign made tools, foreign made cars.

Is the Volt the best looking car on the road? Nope, and I don't care. I think it is pretty shallow to simply wanting to be seen in a sleek, low-strung car. I for one hope that Chevrolet and GM can turn the corner with this car. (Turning heads is VERY low on my priorities, but for an American car maker to t"urn the FINANCIAL corner," THAT IS MY PRIORITY)... I want GM, Ford and Chrysler to rebound too, but I also want Detroit to FIX and MEND the errors and booboos that got them into trouble in the first place. (The 1977 Chevy Monza and the 1978 Chevy Chevette are really good examples of crappy GM products.... Forgot to mention the 1974 Pinto...)

What the heck is left in this country that we make anymore? I bought a can of Libby's GREEN BEANS last week, and it came from China. Darned, we need to stay focused on our economy, our labor market while lessening our use of crude from venezuela, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Algeria and Iran... Come on people, quit whining about how this car DOESN'T look like the concept Volt. It MIGHT just do something to invigorate an ailing American industry.

I suspect if this technology proves out well, GM will design a car for the under 28 testosterone crowd, so please give GM a chance to make a car that will appeal to a larger market than the "edgy" Volt. Your Testosterone electric car "IS PROBABLY RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER after the Volt... Give Chevy a chance for cryin' out loud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree....

Your points are well taken Texas except they DID NOT tease us with a boring family car. They promised us, those of us over 50 who want excitement for our 45k, something very very different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTcdfkihE4

Again I'm disappointed in another US carmaker. No wonder why the German cars sell so well. They function like stated and are exciting to drive and look at. The Corvette division is profitable.........

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your points are well taken Texas except they DID NOT tease us with a boring family car. They promised us, those of us over 50 who want excitement for our 45k, something very very different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTcdfkihE4

Again I'm disappointed in another US carmaker. No wonder why the German cars sell so well. They function like stated and are exciting to drive and look at. The Corvette division is profitable.........
I call bullshit on someone who pays selective attention. German car makers offer up impractical concept cars that don't make it to production in every car show cycle. It's okay to whine about not getting a streetable version that looks exactly like the too-low, too-cramped Volt concept, but don't claim the Germans build every one of their concept cars.

GM made the right decision. A mainstream Volt that is very efficient to operate will sell to more people than a "look at my racy electrons!" Volt. If e-flex is successful as a platform, there'll be racy ones later. If the first vehicle on the e-flex platform is an impractical niche player, the accountants will point to it and say "See, your silly engineers can't sell a car!" and stamp a big CANCELLED on the program.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Because

Because they dont have smart people such as us working for them, see we'd make them rich, unfortunately some ding-dong with a drafting degree and a crack pipe was given some kind of pat on the back and tada.

You should call it the New Chevy Lumina GTP "Go To Prius"

·
Registered
200 Posts
When you drive past the gas station remember your going to look like a terd in a Lumina if you buy this car.
IDIOT.

People don't buy a Prius to look cool. They either buy it for economical operation or to look like a Greenie (there's debate about which group is in the majority of Prius buyers.) The Volt needs to appeal to the same sort of people. GM needs to sell to Prius/Camry/Altima/Impala buyers, it's a family car after all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Attn: Cry Babies

GM made the right decision. A mainstream Volt that is very efficient to operate will sell to more people than a "look at my racy electrons!" Volt. If e-flex is successful as a platform, there'll be racy ones later. If the first vehicle on the e-flex platform is an impractical niche player, the accountants will point to it and say "See, your silly engineers can't sell a car!" and stamp a big CANCELLED on the program.

DOUBLE TOUCHE' to GearheadGeek

If you look down the block of the typical American middle-class neighborhood, sitting in the driveways or the garages are practical cars that haul families. How many Boxers or Corvettes are on your street (if you are an Average middle-class person?) Probably not one. This is why GM has to first launch a practical looking car that average folks (the overwhelming masses) will buy. They need to get many thousands of these on the streets, so word of mouth will spread about this radical new technology and how it is delivering it's promise of getting people around while lessening our need for foreign crude.

When the Volt has been on the streets a couple of years, THEN GM will launch a racy looking electric car for the fringe element.

How many Corvettes does GM sell in a year? A hell of a lot less than Chevy Malibus. My local Chevrolet dealership in Ballinger, Texas has had two Corvettes sitting on their lot for OVER A YEAR. Their Malibus are selling like hotcakes. How many Hummers does GM sell?

For all the cry-babies, QUIT WHINING about how the Volt looks. GM needs to sell a bunch of these to regular folks, not the marginal (and few) in the TESTOSTERONE crowd. An edgy "Volt" will hit the market IF OUR ECONOMY IMPROVES and when the Volt has demonstrated an American car company has hit a home-run with a radical car like the Volt.

CRY BABIES,
remember DeLoren? What a failure that was. It was a "FRINGE ELEMENT" car for testosterone freeks. I for one am glad CRY BABIES are not heading up a major American car maker. You would bankrupt the company MUY PRONTO because you are so focused on a fringe, EDGY looking car that would only sell to a very small segment of the buying public.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Never saw so many cry babies in one forum! Sheesh! GM did what they had to do sell these cars. Made it look good! Not like something in a circus like the concept was. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love the design

I love the design of the Chevy Volt. The problem for me with many "green" cars is that they look like someone from Mars would drive it. I think it look alot more modern and functional. Another problem with "green" vehicles is that they are so exotic that it seems like people would not be driving them for a million years. I like that the design is edited to look like we will be able to dirve the car within the next year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Because they dont have smart people such as us working for them, see we'd make them rich, unfortunately some ding-dong with a drafting degree and a crack pipe was given some kind of pat on the back and tada.

You should call it the New Chevy Lumina GTP "Go To Prius"

HAHAH don't flatter yourself, if you were working for GM I am sure you would already be laid off!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Terd Boy (AKA Testosterone Boy) is educationally challenged

When you drive past the gas station remember your going to look like a terd in a Lumina if you buy this car.
Hey, Testosterone Boy... Even someone having just a G.E.D. (not a real high school diploma) knows it is spelled TURD, not TERD. And it isn't YOUR, it is YOU'RE.

And while people owning and driving the "real" Volt are driving past the gas station, you'll be across the street flipping hamburgers for minimum wage, trying to figure out how you'll be making your next car payment on your "edgy" looking chick-magnet car.

Get real, and get a diploma... then get a real job and buy a VOLT by paying cash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those of you liking this family car seem to have lost the will to live. GM is making a car that is purchased because someone has been forced to settle. It looks like it belongs in a rental fleet.

They have used trickery to get a buzz going on a car called a Chevy Volt. The name alone signifies it as being something different. What they have here is an electric malibu.

Why do you think it wasn't advertised as an electric malibu? No one cares what a malibu looks like and the lions share of normal people who get excited about cars do so for the looks. There are some fringe people who want to be called "green" at any expense and I'm sure it's a hit with them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Those of you liking this family car seem to have lost the will to live. GM is making a car that is purchased because someone has been forced to settle. It looks like it belongs in a rental fleet.

They have used trickery to get a buzz going on a car called a Chevy Volt. The name alone signifies it as being something different. What they have here is an electric malibu.

Why do you think it wasn't advertised as an electric malibu? No one cares what a malibu looks like and the lions share of normal people who get excited about cars do so for the looks. There are some fringe people who want to be called "green" at any expense and I'm sure it's a hit with them.
It's not an electric Malibu. It's more like an electric Cruze, smaller than the Malibu, bigger than the Cobalt.

If you have been paying attention to the automotive styling game for more than a month, you'd have noticed that all car manufacturers do this. They float an impractical, sexy concept car to get attention, whether it's for a new line or new technology or just a new look for the company. They then come to market with a vehicle that's significantly different. The difference between the Volt concept and production versions isn't even that extreme compared to some of the stuff they've thrown out there. In the very best cases, the show models have wheels and tires that are impractical for the street, low ride height, and lots of small differences that make a car impractical to USE but photograph well. In the worst cases, the thing on the auto show turntable isn't even recognizable as the company's product, much less as a precursor to what's eventually produced. Then there are some total fantasy vehicles like the Firebird I, II and III that GM produced in the '50s, with bubble cockpits, exotic materials, joystick controls, turbine engines, etc. 50 years on, technology is just now getting to the point where most of the futuristic dream features could be practically implemented.

As to losing the will to live, it's GM I'd like to see live. They have a better chance if they're selling the Volt in Camry/Accord numbers than if they sell it in Corvette numbers. Car companies make buzz with the halo cars, but they make bank with the bread-and-butter family cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts