GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I'm driving (19 miles) without any HVAC (that I know of), no headlights, no wipers, no seat warmers, no defoggers, and my windows are up. I'm also in Fan Only mode--with the fan off. The outside temperature was about 51F (11C).

With all this in place, why is my Climate Setting on the Energy Efficiency screen showing 65%? :confused:

I've been driving like this for quite a while (a couple of months) and my climate usually around 100%. Even on the Climate screen it shows 0% for Climate Power.

(see attached photos...)

image.jpg image.jpg

3,607 Posts
why is my Climate Setting on the Energy Efficiency screen showing 65%? :confused
Good Afternoon PowerTrip,

To answer your question there is a on board heater for the high voltage battery. This uses around 900 watts and maintains an ambient temp around 85-87. From your post being 51F, it sounds like the OBH was running. If you have further questions feel free to contact the Volt Advisor Team! 877-486-5846

Happy Holidays!

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
281 Posts
Most likely you left auto-defog turned on in the config settings. That will run the heater and AC even in fan-only mode.

Here's a helpful thread I didn't find until I had the same problem, and everyone gave me the same answers.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ergy-use-in-cold-weather-driving-for-the-Volt
Option #3.

At 51F degrees or so outside with auto-defog on, I was using a lot of power also, went to 98% efficent after I turned it off.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Is what Ian stated correct? My understanding is that the electric TMS system for the battery only kicks in when the battery is below 40 degrees. So it is possible, if PowerTrip parked outside, ovenight or for a long period in temps (well ) below 40 degrees and upon driving the car, the TMS needed to quickly warm the battery up to above 40.

But my understanding is that is does NOT try to keep the battery at 85-87, it simple tries to keep in a much wider range of 40 to 110 or something like that. Wish there was this battery temp info as one of the "gauges" on the driver console screen!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies . . .

To answer your question there is a on board heater for the high voltage battery. This uses around 900 watts and maintains an ambient temp around 85-87. From your post being 51F, it sounds like the OBH was running.
I did not know this. However, I've been in cooler weather (mid 40's F) and the Climate Efficiency was always 100%. Believe me, I watch that screen on a regular basis. Would pre-conditioning help? It just doesn't seem right to have to pre-condition for 50-degree weather.

Most likely you left auto-defog turned on in the config settings . . . At 51F degrees or so outside with auto-defog on, I was using a lot of power also, went to 98% efficient after I turned it off.
I don't have the auto-defog set. I briefly crack open a couple of windows to defog.

Is what Ian stated correct? My understanding is that the electric TMS system for the battery only kicks in when the battery is below 40 degrees. So it is possible, if PowerTrip parked outside, ovenight or for a long period in temps (well ) below 40 degrees and upon driving the car, the TMS needed to quickly warm the battery up to above 40.
My Volt (2013, in case that matters) is parked in a garage and the lowest outside temperature last night was 51 (according to my weather station transmitter located outside). I would imagine my garage being just a few degrees above that.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
A pre condition may help as it wakes up the systems, including battery temp maintenance. That would allow some battery heating from the plug.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Not the same loop, the premise that the TMS shows up on the climate control efficiency may be misplaced.

I notice my range noticeably falls off below 55 degrees. Might be its basic battery physics, not a bad design.

IMHO the problem for me is not having hold mode in a 2012. That tends to take care of cool weather comfort issues if it works like MM. Not sure I wouldn't take advantage of that for warming up the cabin, assuming no pre-conditioning.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although it was 51 degrees this morning and I drove about 20 miles at 65% climate efficiency, I ended the day with almost 48 EV miles on the one charge!

p.s. I did have the "auto defog" turned "on" in the Config screen this morning. I turned it off and my drive home was at 100% climate efficiency. I don't remember turning it on and I normally have had 100% climate efficiency. Oh well...I think I may be closer to my elusive 50 MPC goal.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1356580513.514060.jpg

·
Registered
281 Posts
p.s. I did have the "auto defog" turned "on" in the Config screen this morning. I turned it off and my drive home was at 100% climate efficiency. I don't remember turning it on and I normally have had 100% climate efficiency. Oh well...I think I may be closer to my elusive 50 MPC goal.

View attachment 8502
Glad to help. Love my volt too. Wish they didn't default that to being "on"

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Glad to help.
Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Wish they didn't default that to being "on"
The bad thing is, it didn't work when it was on! :(

My windshield still fogs-up and I slightly and briefly open my window to clear it ('cause I didn't want to run the defogger and drain power).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i have found out on my 2012 when i start the car with the climate control on and then change it, even up to turning everything off it has already calculated the power use for the time it was on. it takes time for the efficiency gauge to work it's way up high even when you toggle to the climate page and it is showing 0% being used. the farther you travel with it turned off after an initial use it works it's way up as it keeps recalculating your efficiency.

turn everything off before you shut the car down and it will read 100% from the beginning the next time it is started.

edit to add, the auto defrost doesn't work all that well. mine has only come on one time since last march way after it needed to be on, i just do it manually now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts