GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a first for me. I was driving home on I-270N outside of DC. Traffic was all backed up and I was trying to get over to the HOV lane, which was moving at a good pace. My lane was at a dead stop and I saw my opening into the HOV lane. I push the accelerator to quickly move into the HOV lane. And in doing so, I peeled rubber. I haven't done that since I was a teenager.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, I've done it twice now, once kinda on purpose and once not on purpose at all. What year/gen is your Volt? Ours is a 2016 Gen2 and I think they really let a lot of torque to the wheels on the Gen2.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It is actually not that hard on a fwd car due to the weigh transfer...

·
Registered
33 Posts
On our previous front wheel drive car (VW Golf 1.8T), I had to be pretty deliberate to get the tire to spin out. The volt does it easier.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don't let it get away from you lol. I belong to other forums that would call you out for not having found the top speed of your chosen conveyance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ha ! I did the same thing in my 2016 ... surprised me for sure. I've had many front wheel drive cars, and Volt lays rubber better than any of them ! Lately I've also been tooling around in Sport mode -- it's a lot of fun ! I've mostly had sporty cars, and the Volt is very fun to drive. Especially with the battery location in the center of car and low center of gravity, it handles well too ! Surprisingly well for the mileage save rubber that's on there ...

·
Registered
261 Posts
It is actually not that hard on a fwd car due to the weigh transfer...
I've owned several small fwd cars, including my current Saturn Ion, that wouldn't stand a chance at doing this!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
With the electric motors rated at 294 lb-ft of torque, wheelspin off the line should be expected.
I think that it has more to do with software. Gen 1 doesn't apply power as rapidly at start-up, at least by my seat-of-the-pants measurements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually find the tire spin really annoying. I feel like much of the initial power unusable if you accidentally push it too hard. Has anyone replaced their eco tires with something better? Any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I actually find the tire spin really annoying. I feel like much of the initial power unusable if you accidentally push it too hard. Has anyone replaced their eco tires with something better? Any recommendations? Thanks!
I agree that it is annoying and thought tire spin would be engineered out...Stickier tires would help but also would reduce range...From a financial standpoint, keeping the OEM tires is the way to go...

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I first got mine I did the tire spin a couple of times on purpose just to show off for folks who thought I bought a golf cart. Pinning them back In their seats made them think I had a pretty nice golf cart. :^)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello... the below sounds logical as the 2015 Torque is about 273 Ft_lb at ?? RPM, and close to the 2011 or the same. Its hard to imagine that only a 7.6% increase in Torque could make that big a diff. But the 273 is at some RPM and I do not see the starting torque which could be alot more different then the torque at the rated RPM.
I only recall getting a bit of rubber while turning with the 2015. Not while flooring it.

I think that it has more to do with software. Gen 1 doesn't apply power as rapidly at start-up, at least by my seat-of-the-pants measurements.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have not had an issue with wheel spin on the Michelins on the Premier unless purposely trying to make it do it...

I agree that it is annoying and thought tire spin would be engineered out...Stickier tires would help but also would reduce range...From a financial standpoint, keeping the OEM tires is the way to go...

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Hello... the below sounds logical as the 2015 Torque is about 273 Ft_lb at ?? RPM
273 Ft_lb at 0 RPM. It's electric, the torque is instant, no vroom, vroom engine revving needed. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello..... I do not know about these fancy Volt motors but with standard DC magnet motors the Torque can vary quite a bit with speed. Decreasing Torque with increased speed. It all depends on what they do with the windings and whatnot.
The Volt motor is a constant torque vs speed motor. ?? I do not recall how hard that is.

Maybe they vary the voltage to the motor during accelerations??? I assumed they where the constant Voltage type.

273 Ft_lb at 0 RPM. It's electric, the torque is instant, no vroom, vroom engine revving needed. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did this the other day when pulling out of my condo complex. It kinda scared me for a min.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
There is an alternative.. don't floor it from stopped?
In gen1 they were very soft on the initial acceleration and didn't give full accel until you were moving. Not common to get wheel slip on dry/clean pavement. Only when turning and accelerating does it really give way.
On gen2 people wanted more oomph, so they gave it. If you don't want it, don't stomp on the pedal, drive moderately.
They engineered this IN compared to gen1, they're not going to go back on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts