GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used more gasoline in our lawnmower this summer than fueling up our 2012 volt.
Traveled over 1,200 miles, on daily commutes and used .1 gallon.

Life time on our little joule is 155mpg.

We love our baby.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I used to be able to use that line - until I switched to a battery mower! :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Was just thinking about this as I fueled up my Volt for the last time for 2016 today.

It is a huge benefit to be able to wait a few days or weeks to fill up on a nicer weather day! I haven't put gas in on a snowy below zero day since I got the Volt. That's a benefit you really don't think about when considering the Volt purchase. Glad I did.

My next fillup will likely be due on a 40+ degree sunny afternoon in February 2017!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Same here. Mower, trimmer, hedge wacker, chain saw and all small power tools are battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome.....I could only wish.
First fill-up for our Volt will be in sometime in December (depending on severity of Wisconsin winters)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Our cordless electric mowers/yard tools came well before the 'electric' car. Normally you wouldn't drive your car sucking fumes off the exhaust (we can hope) but you do it with your gasoline yard equipment? Not here, no sir.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
now if we could just recycle the windshield fluid - I would not be putting 2 gals of that in my car each year which is 2x my gas usage.

Those Texas bugs are hard to get off the windshield.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ditto to the electric equipment. My drill, impact wrench and weed wacker all run off the same battery tech. Push mower is a 36v and mows my small yard and mulches up leaves/waste no problem. Going to the gas station to fill up the 5gal tank was always a PITA.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Had my B&D 36v self-propelled electric mower for over 3 years now. Bought it for $50 on craigslist. I replaced the sealed lead battery(ies) at the time. It was more than enough to mow my lawn. This fall the battery was starting to barely get the job done. So over the holidays I did a little conversion to Lithium. This way I can still use the old sealed lead battery and have another as just enough back up.

So I used Ryobi 18v lithium batteries paired together (see pictures). Together they give me about 144 watts compared to the old battery that was closer to 400 watts. Eventually I will just use the Lithium batteries as I have a 6 port charger. Just have to switch batteries about 1/3 of the way through.

20170102_183233.jpg 20170102_183257.jpg

·
Registered
648 Posts
My push mower is the old school model, that burns calories! However, I do have to fuel my tractor for field mowing, snow plowing, grading, etc. I'd like to convert it to electric, but just don't use enough gas to justify the expense. 94mpg lifetime for Hal, so not doing too bad considering a 23 mile commute to town. I do like the Volt's fueling flexibility. Raining? Snowing? Too damn cold? Wait till tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Had my B&D 36v self-propelled electric mower for over 3 years now. Bought it for $50 on craigslist. I replaced the sealed lead battery(ies) at the time. It was more than enough to mow my lawn. This fall the battery was starting to barely get the job done. So over the holidays I did a little conversion to Lithium. This way I can still use the old sealed lead battery and have another as just enough back up.

So I used Ryobi 18v lithium batteries paired together (see pictures). Together they give me about 144 watts compared to the old battery that was closer to 400 watts. Eventually I will just use the Lithium batteries as I have a 6 port charger. Just have to switch batteries about 1/3 of the way through.

View attachment 126497 View attachment 126505
Nice little mod.
I have quite a few Ryobi 18Vs around the house, but my mower is unfortunately 24V.
Too high for a single pack and too low to run two!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I drive 8.4 miles to work, and I usually fuel up about every 3 to 5 month's depending if we travel out of town
you can almost cause a riot at the fuel pumps if people get to curious about volt fueling habits!!! lol!!!!
now that regular gas is approaching $3.00 per gallon OMG!!!
I use 93 octane when I do fuel up, and 93 octane was $2.73 per gallon here in central Florida
it used tocost me $15 to fill the fuel tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts