GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who in this forum actually has and has been driving a 2019 Volt? I know there are a few already in showrooms
in the U.S. By now all GM Volt current production is the 2019 model year.

I would like to know the actual time of a full charge from a 7.2 KWH optional unit, standard on Premier and optional on LT. Some chargers will only charge at level 2 at only 3.3 KWH or so. Others like our Clipper Creek HCH 40 will charge at 7.8 KWH or so.

I'm leaning at the 2019 model over the 2018 for a replacement vehicle for our 2010 Prius.

Any feed back out there for new owners of the 2019 Volt would be appreciated by me and perhaps other
forum members as well.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
So who in this forum actually has and has been driving a 2019 Volt? I know there are a few already in showrooms
in the U.S. By now all GM Volt current production is the 2019 model year.

I would like to know the actual time of a full charge from a 7.2 KWH optional unit, standard on Premier and optional on LT. Some chargers will only charge at level 2 at only 3.3 KWH or so. Others like our Clipper Creek HCH 40 will charge at 7.8 KWH or so.

I'm leaning at the 2019 model over the 2018 for a replacement vehicle for our 2010 Prius.

Any feed back out there for new owners of the 2019 Volt would be appreciated by me and perhaps other
forum members as well.
If you charge a 2019 Volt with the 7.2kW onboard charger, when you charge at home using Level 2 (230/40V) and 32 amps GM states it will take 2 hours and 20 minutes to fully charge the Volt's battery. If you charge at a commercial Level 2 charging station, these are frequently limited to 208V so the time to charge will be ~13% longer than at home (estimated time to charge: 2 hours and 40 minutes.)

·
Registered
897 Posts
alfon;4619271 I'm leaning at the 2019 model over the 2018 for a replacement vehicle for our 2010 Prius. [/QUOTE said:
I'm leaning at trading our 2018 Premier in on a 2019, and taking a major financial hit! Not seriously, but if I were in the market today, a 2019 Premier or LT w/7.2kw would be a no brainer.

Feedback from new owners will be helpful, and I will be shocked if it's not uniformly positive. GM did a good job with this IMHO, just a year too late.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The 2019 has a few good things. The big one is power seats, doesn't sound like much but the Volt is a small car and getting into and out of it takes some getting use to, power seats would make a big difference. I'd buy the faster charger if I was buying a 2019 assuming it's not an expensive option or it's part of the premier package but the reality is that it won't make a lick of difference to you. At home the difference between 2 1/4th hours and 4.5 hours is meaningless, your car is going to sit in your driveway for at least 12 hours. For destination charging it might make some difference assuming you actually do any. I hardly encounter any destination chargers, the only garage where I use one regularly is next to Symphony Hall in Boston, the EVSEs there are 20A not 32A so the maximum charger rate is only 4.5KW/hour which is marginally faster than the 3.6KW/hour that the 2017 does, and besides that I'm going to the opera so there is enough time to get a full charge.

One more thing that's changed is the infotainment system, or so I've read. The infotainment system is the only thing that's given me trouble in my Volt (30,000 miles so far). There is a bug that causes in to crash during boot, the only work around is to turn the car off for about 15 minutes and then it will fix itself. It doesn't happen very often and I have no idea what triggers it but I've had several firmware updates and it still happens. Hopefully they've addressed this in the new infotainment system.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
On the 2019 Volt only the driver's seat is available with an 8-way power seat option that includes lumbar support.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
For me the power seat is useless. I have no issues getting in and out. Its only benefit might be if 2 people use the car and the power seat remembers their positions. Now faster charging does make a differnence for me especially on weekends when I need to charge up twice on the same day and yes 2hrs makes a difference saved. If I go out in the AM and come back by noon and want to go back out shortly after, the faster charger helps get me out otherwise during the week single charges over night are fine. I just sure hope the none leather seats are more comfy than the 2014 versions which forced me to buy the leather seats then. They were otherwise hard as a rock. I thought to myself what the hell was GM thinking!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The power driver's seat option on the 2019 Volt does not have memory settings.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The power driver's seat option on the 2019 Volt does not have memory settings.
That sucks, what is Chevy thinking? I never understood why the Volt didn't have power seats, they offered it in the Cruize, and now that they are offering it why doesn't it have this basic functionality. I also don't understand why the Volt doesn't have automatic windshield wipers, my 2006 Chrysler had them so it's not new technology.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That sucks, what is Chevy thinking? I never understood why the Volt didn't have power seats, they offered it in the Cruize, and now that they are offering it why doesn't it have this basic functionality. I also don't understand why the Volt doesn't have automatic windshield wipers, my 2006 Chrysler had them so it's not new technology.
Lack of power seats was always about weight and cost in an already heavy and expensive (to make) vehicle. It is curious they don't offer memory seats now, though.

IMHO, power seats are mostly about comfort (especially on longer drives), as they allow degrees of adjustment that just aren't possible in manual seats, like seat pan tilt. I loved them in my old car even though I rarely used them... their value was in initial setup, getting things just right in ways manual can't, then some value in tweaking those things on very long drives to shift the pressure points around.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Do the power seats in the Cruze have memory settings? I had a 2011 Ford Fusion with power seats but there were no memory settings so it appears to be consistent within the auto industry to reserve power seats with memory for the premium models or not at all. The Fusion had automatic wipers; hated them. They were never sensitive enough in light rain or drizzle.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Do the power seats in the Cruze have memory settings? I had a 2011 Ford Fusion with power seats but there were no memory settings so it appears to be consistent within the auto industry to reserve power seats with memory for the premium models or not at all. The Fusion had automatic wipers; hated them. They were never sensitive enough in light rain or drizzle.
The Volt is a $40K car, not a $20K car like the Cruze. They ought to treat it like a $40K car, especially now that they are losing the Federal Tax credit.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
The Volt is a $40K car, not a $20K car like the Cruze. They ought to treat it like a $40K car, especially now that they are losing the Federal Tax credit.
You're mischaracterizing by a bit, I'd say. A completely base Volt is $34k. A comparable Cruze (Hatchback LS with chrome grill) is $22k, and the Volt still has things on it that this Cruze doesn't (like 17" wheels that the Cruze only gets on the RS package). The Cruze will come with a compact spare standard, at that trim. The base hatchback trim (LS) doesn't, and it comes with 15" steel wheels and halogen DRLs, 4-speaker sound, all the rest of the basement accoutrement. Which makes the Voltec drivetrain a $12k "option"

To get to "A 40k car" Volt, you need a Premier, with DC1, DC2, and ACC. A Cruze Hatchback Premier with DC2 (no ACC available) is $24k and if you delete the Volt's ACC but leave DC2, you're at $39,400. So call that a $15k Voltec "option" then.

And the Cruze's power driver seat certainly seems to be the same as the one available in the Volt, with no memory.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have one ordered.

My key points to replace my 2014 were:
power seats
faster charging
more power

2 out of 3 aren't bad.

I charge at work 4-5 times a week (free so far), charging stations are busy, to reduce the time there, and other around town opportunity charging is a win. Yes, it's mainly convenience, not cost effectiveness. My wife has a Bolt-EV with 32A charging, yeah, I want that too!

I've always had power seats. I like to be able to adjust them, change them up. Even morning to evening, sometimes you just feel different. And on long drives, power lumbar.... Take my money!

Power (acceleration) is nice, intoxicating, but. I've driven fast cars. Camaro SS. Model S, 100D 4 day rental. Model 3 test drive, yeah. For the money? I still like Volt. And driving ergonomics? Volt. I like the paddle brake, the L setting, the blended braking. Telsa doesn't have any of those. But yes, too, I'll admit cost. TX has a $2500 rebate on "EVs sold by TX dealers". Which means my model 3 to Volt difference will be like $12,000.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have one ordered.

My key points to replace my 2014 were:
power seats
faster charging
more power

2 out of 3 aren't bad.
Congratulations. What dealer did you order through and what is the expected purchase date? I'm completely happy with my gen2 Volt; I already often go 6 weeks w/out using any gas then 0.03 gallons for EMM. The road trips we do most often are to the Texas coast (South Padre and Corpus). The gen2 Volt is pretty good at road trips getting 40mpg at 75mph but it does need some break in time to get best efficiency.

I think the gen2 Premier was a nice upgrade from my MY2014 gen1. Definitely faster off the line so I would say 3 out of 3. I purchased mine from Autonation NW Austin.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I went with AutoNation again. Ordered on Sept 15. They suggested 10-12 week delivery time. So hopefully mid December. I have supplier pricing. And CostCo eligible, but not expecting much dealer discount otherwise. We'll see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts