GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been done already, but just wanted to show case it, yet again.
This was done in about half an hour, and is 8 coats of black Plastidip from a spray can:

(Sorry for the portrait shot, I was wanting a new background for my phone)

·
Registered
66 Posts
"(Sorry for the portrait shot, I was wanting a new background for my phone)"

... and, you couldn't shoot it twice?

By the way, it does look nice.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
nice job. I did it with a faux carbon-fiber tape.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... and, you couldn't shoot it twice?

By the way, it does look nice.
I could have, but the whole reason for taking the photo was for the phone background. I'll be doing actual shots of it in the upcoming weeks when the temperature drops some and I can do a full detail on it without dying.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
nice job. I did it with a faux carbon-fiber tape.
+1. I wanted the carbon fiber texture to set it apart from the dipped grille.

I also dipped the lower plastics but I don't recommend it. 2 years later (and 2 weeks ago) I had to cut a lot of it out and respray it. The lower plastics don't like for things to stick to them. Maybe if I had used the primer it would have held up better, but it was more of an experiment anyway. I'll probably vinyl wrap those next year.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I used red vinyl carbon fiber for my emblems and they looked good for awhile, then faded and I was finding I had to redo it every 6 months. Now I have chrome tape on my emblem and it holds up better. I have a the white diamond tricoat.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I used red vinyl carbon fiber for my emblems and they looked good for awhile, then faded and I was finding I had to redo it every 6 months. Now I have chrome tape on my emblem and it holds up better. I have a the white diamond tricoat.
Red stuff is REALLY hard to make sun-resistant for color fade. Coca-cola cans end up bleached white and Pepsi blue in only a few months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've got both front and rear emblems dipped black now.
I was driving around with my roommate today and she said "Hey, are you going to make that one black too?"
"Huh?"
"The steering wheel..."
"Oh mother ****er".

Do you guys want pictures of my whole interior masked off when I go to do that one too? =)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
That's going to be a tough one. You'll have the carefully cut around the emblem before pulling the excess dip. There's not enough of a gap there. I tried...... got frustrated and gave up. I may go vinyl later, but for now I just ignore it.

Masking is easy if you have an old bed sheet or two.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's going to be a tough one. You'll have the carefully cut around the emblem before pulling the excess dip. There's not enough of a gap there. I tried...... got frustrated and gave up. I may go vinyl later, but for now I just ignore it.

Masking is easy if you have an old bed sheet or two.
Thanks for the input there. I may just do crazy masking and get it exactly to the edge.

I typically just use tape and drape, but I probably have a sheet or two.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Thanks for the input there. I may just do crazy masking and get it exactly to the edge.
That's a method I have yet to try. I've heard you have to pull the tape shortly after the last coat while it's still soft. Else the edges come up with the tape (that part I have seen).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a method I have yet to try. I've heard you have to pull the tape shortly after the last coat while it's still soft. Else the edges come up with the tape (that part I have seen).
You are 100% correct on that. I pull the tape usually within 30 seconds of the final coat being sprayed.
Whenever I do crazy masking I'll do a general masking of the area initially, getting moderately close to whatever I'm spraying. Then I come back and go as close as I possibly can. Doing it this way allows you the ability to quickly pull the masking tape off while it's still wet and not have to worry about ALL of your masking coming off at once and potentially hitting whatever you sprayed.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
How's the durability when washing the car etc?
For me, on the grille it's holding up well for a few years now. The sun dulls the finish a bit but it's no big deal.

On the lower plastics all sorts of things including water have an easy time getting between the plastic and the dip over time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts