GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that my Volt holds enough cargo with the rear seats down that in most cases I don't need to borrow my husband's truck! I put 10 bags of mulch, a 35lb bag of black oil seed, two tomato cages and groceries....and had plenty of room to possibly double my load. I love my Volt!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well, apparently, your husband does need a truck ;) Yes, the Volt will hold many things with the rear seats down. The utility of a hatchback is unmatched, except with a truck.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I buy mulch by the yard. Too messy and hard to get out of the hatch, and it won't hold 2 yards. It's not the only thing I haul in my Silverado. Recently I recycled my neighbor's porch swing. The steel bars would have torn up my interior. In the lined bed of my truck all was well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I buy mulch by the yard. Too messy and hard to get out of the hatch, and it won't hold 2 yards. It's not the only thing I haul in my Silverado. Recently I recycled my neighbor's porch swing. The steel bars would have torn up my interior. In the lined bed of my truck all was well.
Yes, yes...I am well aware that my Volt will never replace my husband's truck entirely, but it IS versatel enough to do small to medium hauling that most would use a truck for...and it's a heck of a lot more fun to drive than his truck! ...at least in my opinion!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Yes, yes...I am well aware that my Volt will never replace my husband's truck entirely, but it IS versatel enough to do small to medium hauling that most would use a truck for...and it's a heck of a lot more fun to drive than his truck! ...at least in my opinion!
Hatchbacks are awesome and it was a prerequisite for purchase consideration. But for fun it depends on where you're driving. I wouldn't take a Volt off-road like I do with my 4X4.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Most people that buy a truck do not need it. It sure would be nice to have an easy rental service to rent trucks for the few times a year people actually need a truck.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
My next door neighbor drove his pickup over to HD today, in fact. Saw him in the lot. He was carrying out a little bag. His commuter car was in his garage. I think he likes the feeling of driving "over the road" in the truck. He is a staunch republican and doesn't seem to like my Volt and Solar PV array.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
My next door neighbor drove his pickup over to HD today, in fact. Saw him in the lot. He was carrying out a little bag. His commuter car was in his garage. I think he likes the feeling of driving "over the road" in the truck. He is a staunch republican and doesn't seem to like my Volt and Solar PV array.
I like your Volt and solar array. I like Republicans too, not that I'm one of them. I wonder if you're stereotyping a bit here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have found that many drivers of trucks like to display their aggression toward EV's when they are behind me. They seem to run up on my butt and just ride there....when I get tired of it...I screw up my ev mileage by putting my foot in it to escape them!....at least, this is my story...I'm sticking to it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I have found that many drivers of trucks like to display their aggression toward EV's when they are behind me. They seem to run up on my butt and just ride there....when I get tired of it...I screw up my ev mileage by putting my foot in it to escape them!....at least, this is my story...I'm sticking to it!:rolleyes:
That's what L is for. :)

I've used my volt for bundles of insulation before.
Got 3 bundles, it can probably take 5 easily if you don't mind reduced rear visibility.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I've had the same experience in many cars. As far as I can tell they like to intimidate Mini Coopers too, or any smaller car. I wouldn't assume too much about their attitude about EVs. Many of them don't even know what an EV is. Try not to let your imagination get the best of you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well I think if you tow a trailer you may need a truck. I know I do. Kind of hard to pull a 35 ft trailer with a Volt. :) Like some, Volt is not my only ride. Later RJD

·
Registered
464 Posts
I hauled home the materials to finish the entire interior of my cottage with just a Prius, a trailer hitch, and a lightweight 5x10 trailer. It's amazing how much utility that combination has, and I doubt the Volt would have been any different. Hell, it would have been better, the Volt has more torque.

I think my biggest load by weight was 18 sheets of 3/4" drywall, and it pulled it (and stopped it) with no problems at all. Biggest by volume was something like 20 rolls of fiberglass insulation - you could notice the aero drag from that one, I got something like 25mpg coming home! Still was better mpg than an empty pickup truck though!

[edit] Come to think of it, I likely had 10-15 sheets of cement board tile backer on that trailer with the drywall. I remember pumping up the trailer tires some more after loading it up... [/edit]

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I have found that many drivers of EVs like to display their aggression toward pickups when they are behind me. They seem to run up on my butt and just ride there....when I get tired of it...I screw up my gas mileage by putting my foot in it to escape them!....at least, this is my story...I'm sticking to it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've used my volt for bundles of insulation before.
Got 3 bundles, it can probably take 5 easily if you don't mind reduced rear visibility.
As a matter of fact, the car can carry 7. Assuming you don't have a second person in the car. If I would have bought 8, I would have driven the Silverado.
Every vehicle has a place and while the Volt has a lot of utility and carrying capacity, it can't rewrite the laws of physics. I love my Volt for what it does and I love my Silverado for what it does. It's nice to see that the OP appreciates the fact that not every hauling job requires a pickup truck. You can go the Home Depot any day of the week and see dozens of people who are "justifying" their vehicle choice by hauling home 2 bags of mulch in a vehicle that gets 15 MPG. It's easy to judge those people, but remember that they might have just unhooked from a 7,000 pound trailer and they're grabbing that mulch on the way home. Heck, that guy might even be like me and have a Volt waiting at home to do the other 90% of his driving. I guess what I'm trying to say is not to hate on pickups. They have a place in the world too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All vehicles have a place...I love our old GMC Sierra 1500 almost as much as my Volt. There is a need in our lives for both our vehicles. I just want to show others the versatility of my awesome little EREV...in my opinion, there is no ev better!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts