GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM didn’t start the volt project until it saw that high gas prices were killing its big moneymakers, the SUVs, the 4 wheel drive pickups, the HUMMERs.

GM started producing an electric car 10 years a go, the EV1. It was well received by the consumers that GM allowed to lease it. It killed the EV1 because it didn't want to make no-emission vehicles when huge profits could be made on gas guzzlers. (It bought HUMMER the year it killed its first electric car.)

GM made it’s choice at least 10 years ago. It bet on big gas guzzlers. It may still be hopeful that bet will still pay off. Today, August 14, on the Volt home page, is a Lehman Bros. report suggesting oil prices have peaked. A strange thing to see on a "green" site supposedly promoting an electric car.

Beware.

·
Registered
812 Posts
There will be peaks and valleys in oil prices but the overall trend will be up I'm afraid.

And yes, GM held back electric cars by over a decade in the dumbest move they've ever made. I'm hoping they survive long enough to get the volt on the road and really start some serious competition among car companies to mass produce EVs. That way we at least get something out of this mess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But remember that the Volt STILL isn't an electric car like the EV1, it's still a hybrid.

Even if GM does fund and promote the Volt to market, instead of letting it languish and like the EV1, GM will still not have produced an emissions-free vehicle that will free us from oil dependence or fossil fuel emissions.

Remember Lehman Bros.'s report posted BY GM ON THIS SITE suggesting oil might get cheap again. Expecially if GM and the oil companies lobby for more gas subsidies and off-shore drilling. Then GM could claim there's no market for the Volt, or other technologies are "just over the horizon."

GM has ridden-out high gas prices and pressure for higher fuel economy and lower emissions before. GM isn't even suggesting the Volt will be ready until 2010.

Beware!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There will be peaks and valleys in oil prices but the overall trend will be up I'm afraid.

And yes, GM held back electric cars by over a decade in the dumbest move they've ever made. I'm hoping they survive long enough to get the volt on the road and really start some serious competition among car companies to mass produce EVs. That way we at least get something out of this mess.
But remember the Volt STILL isn't an all electric car, its still just a hybrid. Even if GM promotes the Volt, instead of killing it like the EV1, it still won't free us from fossil fuel emissions and foreign oil and the oil companies.

GM has ridden out high gas prices and pressure to make more fuel efficient, less-polluting cars before. And the Volt is still years away.

Why is GM posting ON THIS SITE reports suggesting oil may get cheaper again? Would they like to be raking in huge margins from Hummers and SUVs again?

I think they would. Beware.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please approve my reply

Why am I now waiting for a moderator to "approve" my reply?

When I first posted my thread there was a response in 3 minutes.

Why am I now informed that my responses won't be posted until they are "approved"?

Am I saying something GM might disapprove of?

Watch out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Volt isn't an electric car

Remember the Volt isn't an electric car, it's still a hybrid. Even if GM promotes the Volt and actually brings it to market, unlike the EV1, it still won't free us from carbon emissions, foreign oil, and the oil companies.

GM has ridden out demands for better fuel economy and emissions standards before. They have pushed for lowering fuel economy and emissions standards, just like all the rest of the car companies.

Why is there an article ON THIS SITE'S HOMEPAGE suggesting that oil might become cheap again? Would they like that? Would GM like to be making huge money on gas guzzlers again? I think they would.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please post my reply

I'm being prevented from posting a reply until a moderator "approves" my post.

This forum is being watched.

·
3,689 Posts
Before you cry conspiracy and hit the “RED” button why don't you hit the search button and type "killed". You can then read the thousands of posts already made on this topic. Probably every conceivable thing has been mentioned. The movie can also be seen on YouTube in it‘s entirety. It's like beating a dead and decomposed horse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greed, big money and oil

yap, all that's true.

I gave my impromptu speech on GM electric cars about 10 years ago in my college years. Than, electric cars disappeared from the news. Couple guys in Washington D.C. with their friends and our enemies, had to make some big money, that’s why.

But after all, at the end of the day it’s all up to us the consumers. Fifty percent of power is vested in our hands to put some of those greediest out of power, business and terrorism. Let’s stop fueling the terror on ourselves. It’s supply and demand economy. So, I want my electric car, 10 years later……….since I started to talk about it.

nyrawras

:mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
More than 10 years

Gm (and others BTW) have built electric cars in 1900s, 1960s, 1970s1980s and 1990s. The EV 1 was most recent in memory is all.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Gm (and others BTW) have built electric cars in 1900s, 1960s, 1970s1980s and 1990s. The EV 1 was most recent in memory is all.
It's the battery technology that's the big deal. GM and the oil companies buried a VERY promising battery technology and crushed the the evidence. Toyota stopped making their RAV4EVs because of a lawsuit but the cars they sold are still on the road. Check it out on youtube, it's really interesting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
But remember that the Volt STILL isn't an electric car like the EV1, it's still a hybrid.
You talk about that like being a hybrid is bad. Instead it's the "next generation" of hybrid.. one that you can plug-in.
I don't know what was wrong with the EV1 that got it pulled from the market. I sat in a static model and punched the throttle at Disney World/EPCOT some years back.. it was cool.. it was just a two seater. four would make it practical for most people.

Even if GM does fund and promote the Volt to market, instead of letting it languish and like the EV1, GM will still not have produced an emissions-free vehicle that will free us from oil dependence or fossil fuel emissions.
..but it's a pretty significant reduction. If you're daily commute is less than 40 miles.. then your emissions are equal to that what comes from the plug. When you need the range.. turn on the gasoline.

Remember Lehman Bros.'s report posted BY GM ON THIS SITE suggesting oil might get cheap again. Expecially if GM and the oil companies lobby for more gas subsidies and off-shore drilling. Then GM could claim there's no market for the Volt, or other technologies are "just over the horizon."
..and Lehman Bros.'s has a working crystal ball? (Their stockholders should be steaming!)

GM has ridden-out high gas prices and pressure for higher fuel economy and lower emissions before. GM isn't even suggesting the Volt will be ready until 2010.
Have you followed GM's stock price? Is it lower now than when you were born? With Toyota and Honda on the roll, I think GM has to move forward with this project to regain a respectable North American market share. I think that GM knows that, this time, it's do or die.
Personally, I would like to see a "plug-in" hybrid available within six months, but I understand that it takes time to develop a world class product such as being presented here.

Absolutely! (or at least be a little skeptical)

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
GM didn't create Volt until Gas was high?

So what? You mean those evil capitalists actually tried to make money and make a profit so that the 100's of thousands of people they employee can make a paycheck to support their kids? Those b*stards!

GROW UP! CAPITALISM ALWAYS LEADS THE WAY! Efficiency didn't DESERVE to exist in cars until capitalism was ready for it. Capitalism is how the PEOPLE vote!

I am hoping that the Volt is GM's Miata or Prius. The one that makes the company turn around and people to respect an AMERICAN car maker again. Time for us to start buying American to keep our own people employeed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
GROW UP! CAPITALISM ALWAYS LEADS THE WAY! Efficiency didn't DESERVE to exist in cars until capitalism was ready for it. Capitalism is how the PEOPLE vote!
What the hell is this? Even when oil was cheap striving for more efficiency would have more than paid itself off. Your worship of capitalism makes very little sense. It was certain industry leaders and white house staff who were not ready for efficiency, not "capitalism" in general.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What the hell is this? Even when oil was cheap striving for more efficiency would have more than paid itself off. Your worship of capitalism makes very little sense. It was certain industry leaders and white house staff who were not ready for efficiency, not "capitalism" in general.
AH! Knew there would have to be a partisan snipe in there. Must have been Bush's fault. It was cloudy today; that must be his fault too. Never mind that this has been going on for 30 years including the reign of the wonderful Carter and Clinton. The less the government sticks their nose in the business OF business, the better.

·
Registered
812 Posts
AH! Knew there would have to be a partisan snipe in there. Must have been Bush's fault. It was cloudy today; that must be his fault too. Never mind that this has been going on for 30 years including the reign of the wonderful Carter and Clinton. The less the government sticks their nose in the business OF business, the better.
Carter had set efficiency standards and Reagan completely threw them out. We'd all be much better off today if those standards had remained intact. You seriously think the wonderful free market should be left entirely alone? Talk about out of touch. Your original post was much more of a partisan snipe, plus it wasn't supported by the facts at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts