GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added this.It was very easy to do,,did it in a 1/2hr on my back in the garage.
first impression,,it has given the car less lean out in corners.I have an off ramp that I trick unsuspected tailgaters(follow real close on a 30mph ramp).I usually go in at 37mph(reverse cambered ramp) and exit at 40mph.Will be interesting what I will take it at on Tues. morning.:)
I feel for me it was worth the $181 I paid for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272394521014?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far loving the bar.
on a side note,,been on a job for 10 days,for 5 of them(pre sway bar),air dam would rub every time I left the driveway.Now,no matter which way I back out,I can't make it rub.nice bonus.
and on sharp 90° corners,it helps plant the inside tire harder,,letting me to get into the throttle that much harder w/o the traction control kicking on.
that off ramp I was talking about has had people in front of me every morning,,still waiting .but all other off ramps can be hit pretty good w/o alot of leaning.front suspension could use an upgrade now to make it real fun,,but I like how the car rides now.
so I may just upgrade struts when the time comes,,we'll see.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this morning I got to get into that corner(even a little damp),,hit it at 47mph(most likely a little more) and was able to actually oversteer the car mid turn(to see how it would react).would love some better tires but the oem's weren't even complaining too badly.

and since I can remove it rather quickly,,I'm gonna do it stock and see what I can max the car at.hopefully not into the guard rail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed this on my MY2013 Volt, work like a dream and removes a lot of the lumbering sway feel that adds to the heavyness of the car in turns.

Installation is easy here a simple walk through:

First jack up the back of your car and use two jack stands to hold both the rear tires off the ground (make sure to use the jack points slightly in front of the shocks, they looks square is with a hole in the middle). Next unbolt the struts (they're a 13/16 wrench I had to buy one) from the lever control arm on both sides and lower them to take out the springs. Next the instructions say to tap out the spring locator, but I had difficulty with that so I added some WD-40 on the top and bottom and waited 10 minutes, next a 30 degree angle wack from the side helped to get them out. Now install the replacement spring locators and knock them in to the hole nice and tight. Next re-insert the spring and re-attach the struts (you can use a jack to help compress the spring from under control arm to line the strut bakc up with its bolt socket). After everything is back together bolt on the rear sway bar into the bottom of the spring locators you installed using the supplied bolts (also 13/16). The sway bar should arranged be up and towards the front of the car.

Once you have the new spring locators installed you really can add or remove the sway bar in a 5 minute job which is really nice.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To add to the instructions above,,fill the top of the spring locator w/ some rtv to keep the dirt and water out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I realize that this is an old post, but wondering if those who have installed this, what torque specs did you all use to tighten the bolts? The instructions didn't include any - only to have the sway bar installed by a reputable installer? Hahaha reputable installer... that would be me! I did 110Lbs.

I also noticed that you can install the bar with the bend facing toward the front, or toward the rear. The picture that was included in the first post show the bar facing forward toward the solid axle beam, is that what others have done?

The instructions that come with the bar do not even show pictures of the actual bar being installed, it's just a generic picture.
I checked on the chev cruze forums and they noted that the bar should face forward, but looks better when facing toward the rear.

---UPDATE---

If the bar is installed facing backwards, it's right below the exhaust/muffler any bumps or potholes in the road you'll hear the bar smack into it and make a loud clanging noise. With the bar facing forward, it sits right behind the main rear axle, but is far enough away from it not to make contact when going over bumps. When I adjusted the bar to make it face forward I torqued the bolts to 102 lbs.

Here is the link to where I ordered the rearsway bar:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9FEODC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's another link for installation instructions from the Cruz talk forum:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/153-gen1-brakes-suspension-tutorials/200306-how-install-whiteline-bhr93-rear-sway-bar-2011-2016-5-cruze.html

And another GM-Volt discussion about the rear sway bar http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?231057-Anyone-actually-run-Whiteline-sway-bars

Note that the pictures from the Cruz talk forum have the swaybar facing toward the rear, but you want to install it facing forward so that the bar is close to the beam of the rear axle.

Now that I've got the rear swaybar installed, I just think I might want to get the front swaybar from whiteline!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I realize that this is an old post, but wondering if those who have installed this, what torque specs did you all use to tighten the bolts? The instructions didn't include any - only to have the sway bar installed by a reputable installer? Hahaha reputable installer... that would be me! I did 110Lbs.
That's about double the torque it should have! https://www.allpar.com/fix/body/fasteners.html

Steel into aluminum reduces the torque requirement considerably.

Also, be sure those spring locators don't tilt while being tightened - it's easy to do and almost impossible not to do if the bar is a little off-spec as mine seemed to be.

The instructions have you removing the lower shock bolts. These are torque-to-yield bolts! (Also known as stretch bolts). They need to be replaced with new after each removal. Failure to do so or failure to torque to their full value upon installation may result in a sheared bolt. (Torque to 111 ft-lbs, then an additional 65 degrees). Buy only from the dealer - Ace Hardware will NOT have bolts of the proper strength for the job.

Thanks for you summary of posts! LMK if you can locate better rear shocks ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got mine installed! The hardest part was getting those pesky spring locators out. After that, I agree with the above comment that installation takes 5 minutes.

If anyone is cross shopping, the adjustable bar BHR84Z does NOT fit a 2012. The BHR93 bolts right up.

I’m not going to say it’s amazing, but it does make the car feel like it should have from the factory. This is the point where I would like to start modifying from. Now it handles like a sporty economy car, and not like a wet burrito. Well worth the $171.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Installed mine last night. It took about half hour and some bloody knuckles to remove the spring locators, but actual installation took literally five minutes. No removal of springs or struts necessary.

Best $171 mod ever! It doesn’t so much make the car “better”, but it sure does fix it! Now that the sway bar is installed, I feel like I’ve been driving around with 10psi in the rear tires and finally got around to filling them up. Much more stable and predictable, no loss of comfort or ride quality. This is the way it should have come from the factory

If anyone is cross shopping, the adjustable bar BHR84Z does NOT fit a MY2012. The BHR93 is the one you want.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup,its a nice mode for the volt.took mine off when I sold the volt.may some day put it on the ELR,if it doesn't sell.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Installed mine last night. It took about half hour and some bloody knuckles to remove the spring locators, but actual installation took literally five minutes. No removal of springs or struts necessary.

Best $171 mod ever! It doesn’t so much make the car “better”, but it sure does fix it! Now that the sway bar is installed, I feel like I’ve been driving around with 10psi in the rear tires and finally got around to filling them up. Much more stable and predictable, no loss of comfort or ride quality. This is the way it should have come from the factory

If anyone is cross shopping, the adjustable bar BHR84Z does NOT fit a MY2012. The BHR93 is the one you want.
Can you clarify why the BHR84Z won't fit? I was about to pull the trigger on a set. I see it is listed for the Volt and went through the install guide and looks straight forward.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Am I seeing this right? This sway bar does not attach to body with bushings? If so it does nothing right? It goes between both spring perches.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If that's true, I think the name "sway bar" should be replaced with "stiffening brace". Many cars use stiffening braces up front, bracing the two shock towers together for rigidity, similar to a anti-sway bar.

Might have the same effect as a sway bar, but it's a stiffening brace. Splitting hairs...

·
Registered
49 Posts
If that's true, I think the name "sway bar" should be replaced with "stiffening brace". Many cars use stiffening braces up front, bracing the two shock towers together for rigidity, similar to a anti-sway bar.

Might have the same effect as a sway bar, but it's a stiffening braces. Splitting hairs...
A stiffening brace between shock towers and a sway bar are completely different things. The rear end of the volt is already connected side to side with a rigid piece. A proper sway bar rotates in the bushings as the vehicle turns.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You mean same effect as a stiffening bar. This piece can't have any sway bar effect without attachment to body.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure what exactly you're arguing about, we're talking about the same overall effect.

A sway bar connects LCA's with a stiff bar that pivots on end links and bushings. This functions to add rigidity to the suspension geometry of the vehicle, reducing body roll, which increases handling.

A stiffening bar connects the front shock towers with a rigid mounted brace, reducing flex in the unibody of the vehicle, which reduces body roll, which increases handling.

Whatever the hell you want to call it, they have similar same effects on handling and body roll.

Sheesh....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2019 and live in LA. I don't work on my cars and had suspension modifications on almost every car I've had. The work was always performed by mechanics. My first mod choice was always Bilstein's and Michelin's. They don't have Bilstein's for the Volt, plenty of Performance tire options.
I know this is purely subjective and have read all the replies on this post. Just asking: "Did the install make you feel like WOW, it's worth it!" Anyone in LA area have done this mod?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts