GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a choice in the future Volt, what would you vote for first:
More Electric Range?
OR Same range, but much faster charging rate?

Our 2017 Volt Premier just barely allows us to do the majority of our local chores with running on gas. I would love to have about 50 more miles of EV range. But I still need the gas engine to make longer trips and travel into areas will I will not have access to charging. We charge overnight at home and thus rate of charge is not that big of an issue.
I am just curious as to what other Volt owners think......is rate of charge important to you, or is greater range of more importance?

I must also say, if the Bolt looked like the Volt, and had 275 miles of range or more.....that would have been the vehicle I would have purchased. Gas engines are now "so old school"......I really don't want one anymore!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.....correction to first sentence....."...do the majority of our local chores WITHOUT running on gas"

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you don't have much greater electric range, there's really no need for faster charging

Don

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'll take the 100 mile range. That would give me about 95% electric miles on a daily basis. Would only use the gas generator on a long trip, where fast charging is not really needed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Would it make a difference in your decision if the equipment needed to charge the car faster was, for most people, unaffordable for home installation?

As Don M suggests, how often will you be driving more than a half-battery range away from home when you might be willing or needing to pay more than "at home" prices to recharge the battery, and thus when the time you want to spend recharging the car is a concern?

If your vehicle had the ability to be charged with 100 miles of range in 15 minutes, you couldn’t afford to install the required equipment at home, and my charging station had the equipment to provide you with such a fast charge, should I be able to add a "charging speed equipment" fee (say, $10-$20) to the cost I charge for the quantity of electricity it takes to add those 100 miles of range?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Faster charging here. 100% of my daily driving is electric and a 100 mile range wouldn't make much difference on long road trips.
All L2 public charging is free here but a 3.2kw charge rate is just too slow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With greater range there is no need for the engine. With 95% electric range you would risk just running engine maintenance and gas maintenance mode to keep the engine in a healthy state and gas from going stale. This is unnecessary weight, cost added to the future Volt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would like to have twice the range. As for faster charging, I would be happy with the charging rate of the 19 Volt/Bolt. As others have said, on a long trip, I don't charge and doubt I would, even with super fast charging. Usually, I charge overnight without any difficulties and I recently converted to 220 Volt so it is even faster. Almost all of my local driving is Electric, but now that winter has hit here, the range has dropped to about 75 km or 45 miles and may even go a lot lower. Unfortunately, I think I may need to use the ICE more. With longer range, I think I wouldn't have to use the ICE in the winter either.

I only make three to five "long" trips a year (2000+ miles round trip) but decided against a Tesla and chose the Volt because of the ICE in the Volt. This was due to a lack of charging infrastructure on my route. Having enjoyed the Volt for the last 4 months, I am so very glad I bought the Volt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For the Volt I would like to have about double the range. For a pure EV faster charging. And I'm not talking about the 7.2Kw/h charging in the 2019 Volt. I'm talking something that can fully charge the battery in a matter of minutes.

IMO the inability to fast charge (defined as inline with filling up an ICE vehicle with fuel) is a hinderance to EV adoption. I looked into the purchase of a Bolt and one of the primary reasons I decided against it was the length of time it would take to charge it. I have better things to do with my time than wait around at charging stations for hours on end.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think just about everyone would appreciate more battery range. I personally think you could also get away with less engine. That would free up weight, space and cost for additional battery. Right now the engine is so powerful that the car is fully functional for almost any purpose, and even quite sporty, on engine power alone (depleted battery). For example, the engine could be say half the size. Just large enough to "get by" on. There could be more reliance on a "mountain mode" kind of operation for longer trips. For example, if you had 100 miles of battery range and you knew you needed to drive 400 freeway miles that day with some elevation change, you would engage a mode like mountain mode (with a higher charge threshold) at the beginning of the trip and run the engine for the whole trip while also completely depleting the battery gradually throughout the whole trip. An engine sized for that could be very small, lightweight, fuel efficient and less expensive. Of course, you would not run the engine at all for any trips below 100 miles.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I would like my CT6 PHEV to have 50 miles of range instead of 30. Anything over 50 is a 'long trip' for me, so, I would expect to use gas. So, a ~36kWh battery in the same form factor please.

Fast charging is meaningless when you got 16 hours to charge every night.

I'd also consider a dual-Bolt (120kWh) battery-operated CT6 with fast charging for trips. :) I guess that's called a Tesla S-100 for now.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would like to have twice the range. As for faster charging, I would be happy with the charging rate of the 19 Volt/Bolt. As others have said, on a long trip, I don't charge and doubt I would, even with super fast charging. Usually, I charge overnight without any difficulties and I recently converted to 220 Volt so it is even faster. Almost all of my local driving is Electric, but now that winter has hit here, the range has dropped to about 75 km or 45 miles and may even go a lot lower. Unfortunately, I think I may need to use the ICE more. With longer range, I think I wouldn't have to use the ICE in the winter either.

I only make three to five "long" trips a year (2000+ miles round trip) but decided against a Tesla and chose the Volt because of the ICE in the Volt. This was due to a lack of charging infrastructure on my route. Having enjoyed the Volt for the last 4 months, I am so very glad I bought the Volt.
I agree with this. We have the same reduced range issue in Minnesota, and it's already becoming noticeable. My wife likes to be cozy.

3.6kw is plenty fast enough to support up to 100 miles of range for us. Most nights the Volt has at least 10 hours in which to charge. 7.2kw would be nice for those rare occasions away from home.

Also our home electrical system and the wiring to the detached garage, can't support a higher charging rate without expensive upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fast charging is meaningless when you got 16 hours to charge every night.
That depends on how you use your EV. For the Bolt 16 hours is insufficient if you lack level 2 charging capability. At the higher level 1 current rate (12 amps) it would take almost 42 hours to completely charge its battery. At the lower, safer rate (8 amps) you're looking at almost 63 hours!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would like more range in my Volt (I have a 2012). Even though in the last 3 months I have only needed to burn .13 gallons of gas, and my average daily usage is only ~3 kWh of charge, I do feel a mild amount of "range anxiety" with my car. I know it is only a feeling and not an actual threat to my ability to go somewhere, but if I can drive to my destinations 100% on electric I would prefer that without having to worry about charging mid day. So, something like 75-100 miles of electric range would probably take care of 99.5% of all my driving situations. Throw in a small 1.0L gas generator to help out on the rare 300 mile trips and I'm golden.

Also, make the car in to a wagon/hatch. We don't need another crossover/rollerskate looking vehicle. Remember the Mazda3 wagon? Still small, but massive on the inside with so much utility.

A Voltec system in that car would have been amazing.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think that's a great idea. Today at work I parked next to a Cruze hatch and wished there was a Volt version. From the side it looks similar to your Mazda:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
For the past several years, up until a month ago, I would have said faster charging. The main use case where I'd liked more range was the occasional SFO airport run - 35 mostly highway miles each way. Beyond that we'd take one of the ICE cars. However now my wife has a new job that has her commuting just beyond the Volts highway range - about 30 miles each way. Another 2-3 kWh would help a lot. Her new employer doesn't have a EV charging perq either, but there is a Chargepoint charger in the lot. So she usually charges for a bit there - despite the fact we have to pay for it. The charges aren't that bad unless she hogs the spot for more than 4 hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like faster charging, currently with the slow speed of charge, it makes most of the ChargePoint chargers cost inefficient, as they charge by the hour, not the kWh. Also stopping for lunch at a free charger for an hour, would net me 1/2 a charge. Ideally, I would like 75-100 miles of range, 48amp charging and a DC fast charge option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
More range would be great- although so far most of the time I’m fine with what it has. As the weather gets colder/wet, I’m sure my range will drop.
Charging time is ok (most of the time)- although I can see if I was paying a station price faster would be good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd like to see enhanced 2019 charging speeds, 100 mile battery, and a bit more fuel efficiency when running cross country on ICE.

I've taken two long road trips with the back end fully laden with my adult children's home goods this last year (college types move.) As far as size is concerned the Volt is a great value/size just as she is. The wife and I carpool just fine all week long and the dogs have plenty of room on the weekend to goto the park...yeah they're spoiled.

As the range in battery technology continues to improve, keep upgrading her range, and allow better fuel economy to continue to trickle in as well.

What I don't need is an SUV/Crossover style pig with less of each.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Easy, greater range.

If you had a choice in the future Volt, what would you vote for first:
More Electric Range?
OR Same range, but much faster charging rate?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts