·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my finalists:
Used 2012, 70k, $12,400
Certified 2012, 30k, $13,800
Certified 2013, 40k, $15,000

They are are loaded and have the most important options I want. I don't mind high miles because I consider a 150k car no big deal and I don't put that many miles on them (have two other cars I drive as ), plus I will probably not keep it more than 3 years or so. I also read that the batteries seem to be lasting a long time.

I guess I am mostly debating the Certified vs. not certified and the 12 vs 13. All show good Carfaxes and reliability seems really good on the Volts so I don't think it would be too much of a gamble to go non-certified but still would like to hear opinions. I do have to admit the 2013 really does have all the goodies and would tick all the marks but the price on the used 2012 is very tempting.. love to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Here are my finalists:
Used 2012, 70k, $12,400

They are are loaded and have the most important options I want. I don't mind high miles because I consider a 150k car no big deal and I don't put that many miles on them (have two other cars I drive as ), plus I will probably not keep it more than 3 years or so. I also read that the batteries seem to be lasting a long time.

I guess I am mostly debating the Certified vs. not certified and the 12 vs 13. All show good Carfaxes and reliability seems really good on the Volts so I don't think it would be too much of a gamble to go non-certified but still would like to hear opinions. I do have to admit the 2013 really does have all the goodies and would tick all the marks but the price on the used 2012 is very tempting.. love to hear your thoughts!
If you need or want hold mode, go with the 2013. If that is not important, then go with the 2012 with 30k miles. I have a 2012 and it has been a fantastic car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 12 and in my climate really wish I had hold mode to get everything warm on really cold days.
Get the 13
Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very few '12 Volts have MyLink, whereas all '13 Volts have MyLink. Not sure if MyLink is important to you, however.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would personally go with 13+. Especially if it has the safety packages since I understand the front camera system was introduced that year for lane departure and forward collision alert. The bigger battery is also nice since you can get a couple extra miles of AER.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 12 and in my climate really wish I had hold mode to get everything warm on really cold days.
Get the 13
Tom
hope I'm just replying to this response and not starting a new thread, never seen a response with a title so not ewntirely sure. ANYWAY, great responses everyone, I appreciate it. Seems to be going 4:1 for the 2013.

I didn't know you needed hold mode for pre-warming. I live in Colorado so that is a must for me, I guess decision made!
I'll have to research My-Link, not sure what that is. Am I correct about 2013 having improved Navigation?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are my finalists:
Used 2012, 70k, $12,400

You should buy mine. :)
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?259537-For-sale-2013-Volt-Base

It is cheaper compared to any you listed and it is in great shape. Let me know if you are interested.
For extra $500 I'll drive it out to you or we can arrange shipping.

·
8,680 Posts
hope I'm just replying to this response and not starting a new thread, never seen a response with a title so not ewntirely sure. ANYWAY, great responses everyone, I appreciate it. Seems to be going 4:1 for the 2013.

I didn't know you needed hold mode for pre-warming. I live in Colorado so that is a must for me, I guess decision made!
I'll have to research My-Link, not sure what that is. Am I correct about 2013 having improved Navigation?
You don't need Hold mode for prewarming - any model year will happily do remote start warming. Some folks choose to put the car in Hold mode in the cold so they get the engine on early and free engine heat instead of using battery electrons for it.

2013 changed a lot of things - the Navigation system is a lot different (not necessarily better), the car lost the hard drive and with it the ability to record/pause radio (and I think the ability to play DVDs went away?) The backup camera lines and black roof/hatch also disappeared.

The battery is a little larger, Hold mode was added, new safety packages with a forward looking camera (lane departure warning, forward collision alert,) an optional rear seat armrest, MyLink (bluetooth streaming from the phone - I think these cars can be upgraded to Apple Carplay, but I'm not sure?) and a major change to ERDTT.

In Colorado you'll probably come across ERDTT a lot - Engine Running due to Temperature.

In the early cars, the engine comes on automatically when the outside temperature reaches 25 degrees Fahrenheit, and runs until warm, driving the car like it was out of charge and revving as needed.

In a 2013 or newer, the change comes on at either 15F or 35F (changeable in the CONFIG menus,) and runs at 1400 rpm at half throttle in series mode as a barely audible grumble until warm, while the car continues to drive mostly on electricity and splits the accumulated miles between the to on the screen.

(Some late 2012s have the later temperature options but the earlier operating modes.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so I'm an officially a Chevy Volt owner! I went with the 2013 and fly out to pick it up next Friday. No more gas for the daily driver at least!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts