• Solid

Votes: 15 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have the option, which roof would you prefer? The one sunroof optioned car I owned had many problems with tracking, locking and sealing properly. Although the clear/tinted roof is appealing, I would lean toward the solid roof design.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
As with almost all these types of polls, my answer really has to be "it depends". Since that is not an option, I had to go with the tinted/clear. I really don't want the fully opening conventional sunroof for the reasons you mentioned and the added cost. I don't think a little panel in the roof that opens adds much to the driving experience. The glass top is intriguing as it would let a lot of light into the cabin and give it a lighter airier feeling without the noise and potential mechanical headaches of the traditional sunroof. However I would only want this if it came with a retractable inner sunshade and it wasn't super expensive. Otherwise the solid top is fine with me.

From the pictures I suspect it will be a retractable glass sunroof. I might get this if it's not super expensive or overly complicated. I would guess the base model would have a solid roof.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I find that I use my sunroof a lot in the summer, but mostly to allow the car to vent hot air when parked. My current car has a huge sunroof, and the forward part of the glass tilts up to serve as a windbreak for the big opening. It's wonderful on a temperate day if you're driving 50 or less, but it's noisy as hell on the highway. I wouldn't bother with exactly this setup again, but I do like it when it's open, and like the ability to let hot air escape in Texas summers.

I have had 4 cars with sunroofs, 3 of them VWs, and have never had a significant problem with any of them. (I replaced the seal on the '88 Golf GT when it had about 120k miles and 9 years of exposure to the weather.) If it's trouble-free on a VW, there's no reason it couldn't be trouble-free on ANY car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I'm going to have to pick the sunroof for this. I had a 99 VW Passat for 5 years that had a sunroof and I didn't realize how much I liked it until I traded it in on an 05 Tacoma. I just traded the Tacoma for an 08 Camry Hybrid and got my sunroof back :D It's great on hot days and I can slide the shade over it when I'm not using it.

To that note with the shad... I wouldn't really want the clear roof if I could get out of it. Too much green house effect for one, and for two I really like NOT seeing the world above me when I'm not using my sunroof for air. I almost always pull the shade across when the sun rood is closed. The sun and additional ambient light just bugs me at times in my peripheral vision. But I'm probably just weird :rolleyes:

Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
A photovoltaic roof would be nice, if it could supply enough electricity for 3-4 more miles of all-electric driving each day...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Clear/ Tinted Moon Roof?

I think I would like to have the clear tinted that had the moon roof capability built in. The best of both worlds! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is that a glass roof on the leaked pics?

It looks like a glass roof on the leaked pictures behind the GM executives. I live in an area with a lot of solar radiation and high temperatures. I would prefer the comfort, lower cost and lighter weight of a conventional solid metal roof. It its glass, I hope it at least is infra-red resistant.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would prefer the comfort, lower cost and lighter weight of a conventional solid metal roof.
Don't worry. Concept show cars, which this is, always show the car with all the options and/or sexy new ideas. A solid steel roof will no doubt be the base model.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a factory sunroof in both cars -- never had a problem with them. They are fantastic on a spring/fall day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts