GM Volt Forum banner

Which MPV5/Amp features would you require?

• "Base" model is acceptable for me, I'd buy it as is!

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • 7 passenger

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • AWD

• HOV sticker qualified

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • EV Range ALOT greater 2013 Volt (25-50 miles)

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I would likely trade in my Volt

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I would trade in another vehicle/ keep my Volt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which MPV5/Amp "new" features would you require?

If you would still buy it even WITHOUT those features, Please answer both "Base" (similar range, FWD, 5 passenger, high clearance, more storage, etc, all other features and options similar to Volt) and the features you would LIKE but not REQUIRE for purchase.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i hope that the mpv5 cures some of the volts shortcomings. make it more geezer friendly- more adjustments on the seats and power memory ones, make it easier to get in and out of than a c4 corvette, some real head and leg room once inside, better rear vision, and maybe some small amount of towing capacity for the sporty or split wood not atoms types.

·
4,874 Posts
Has there been news to suggest an MPV5 is being built? The poll eludes to a base specification and suggests it has a spec. I don't know of there being an MPV5 announced, though I still have my fingers crossed. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has there been news to suggest an MPV5 is being built? The poll eludes to a base specification and suggests it has a spec.
No, and I think you meant "alludes" tho your unintended pun was still appropriate. :)

This poll was born out of initial one and the "wish list" in the comments.

Think of it more as an informational/motivation tool for GM (hey GM re you listening) to see that they can steal customers in demographics a Prius to Model S and many in between, while still selling a good number of Volts. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also add that if Chevy does not preempt (or at least match release dates) with the Tesla Model X, they are bound to lose a good number of potential customers to it...

·
Registered
970 Posts
I would also add that if Chevy does not preempt (or at least match release dates) with the Tesla Model X, they are bound to lose a good number of potential customers to it...
I don't think GM has a prayer of snagging Model X buyers with an MPV5 EREV, totally different class and price range. They could however hope to prevent losing would be buyers to the Outlander PHEV which would be a direct competitor to the MPV5 vapor SUV.

For me here are my minimum and desired features:
Minimum
Starting price under $50k before tax credits
5 passenger
AWD/4WD
25mile EV range
35mpg
Liquid cooled battery

Desired
Starting price under $45k before tax credits
7 passenger
AWD
35mile EV range
40mpg
Liquid cooled battery

So far I think the Outlander will at least meet my min...

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are definitely many people that like my car (an Ampera) but want a wagon or CUV version of it. I could have easily sold 5 by now if there were 5 seats and/or more cargo space.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I guess you are probably right about the Model X - it will be in a way different price point at least for a few years.

After a bit of research I am impressed with the Highlander PHEV, though I think Mitsubishi is exaggerating a bit on its EV range and MPG (as did GM initially with the Volt though!) as the battery and wieght numbers don't add up (curious how they are able to get such a large vehicle to only wight 200lbs more than the Volt!) Of course, as I experienced in my CMAX test drive with "fuzzy math" a PHEV can claim it has done an EV drive/range but it's really falling back on to gas every time the torque or speed parameters exceed the threshold. ie Coasting downhill with the ICE temporarily off is NOT an EV mile (yes I know the Volt counts it that way too, but typically the ICE is off both before and after such an event!)

Two things that get "stuck in my craw" about the Highlander which I just can't get over though: It's not an EV+H (aka EREV), and it's not American. I just can't see myself ever buying another vehicle that doesn't pass those two "tests" as well.

I don't think GM has a prayer of snagging Model X buyers with an MPV5 EREV, totally different class and price range. They could however hope to prevent losing would be buyers to the Outlander PHEV which would be a direct competitor to the MPV5 vapor SUV.

For me here are my minimum and desired features:
Minimum
5 passenger
AWD/4WD
25mile EV range
35mpg
Liquid cooled battery

Desired
Starting price under $45k before tax credits
7 passenger
AWD
35mile EV range
40mpg
Liquid cooled battery

So far I think the Outlander will at least meet my min...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Two things that get "stuck in my craw" about the Highlander which I just can't get over though: It's not an EV+H (aka EREV), and it's not American. I just can't see myself ever buying another vehicle that doesn't pass those two "tests" as well.
I too would prefer an EREV vs. PHEV and American vs. Foreign, but in the absense of either I will take the Outlander PHEV assuming it meets my other criteria. If GM offered a Voltec SUV option, I would not even consider the Outlander. So far the only other Voltec offering coming is the more expensive 2-door Cadillac ELR :(

·
Registered
700 Posts
The model X sounds great, but has the drawbacks of high price and no EREV capability. I also agree it is in a very different class than the MPV5. Chevy needs to hit the masses, not chase the high end. Let the ELR go after higher end sales and focus on more EREV models to keep the momentum rolling and drop costs.
For me here are my features:
5 passenger (optional third row would be great)
AWD/4WD
40 mile EV range
30+mpg
Leather + heated seats in all seats.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
With the upcoming ELR, should GM badge this as a Chevy?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Buick??

With the upcoming ELR, should GM badge this as a Chevy?
Excellent point!

No, based on what we have all learned through the Volt, Leaf, Model S, etc, I personally think it should be branded as a Buick or at least a GMC. The Buick Enclave AWD 7 passenger standard STARTS at $45k before any other options.

I don't think GM would be "competing with itself" as much by rebranding; instead stealing even more customers from the "premium SUV" market.

GM, are you listening??? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts