GM Volt Forum banner

Which Level 2 charger to buy?

32K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  bsharma23121995 
I got a used Clipper Creek LCS-20 from another forum member, and I love it. It is VERY well-built and I'm confident it will outlive the car. It's a hardwired version so I can take it with me when I move and wire on whatever plug I need. It will provide 4.8 KW, so even though it's more than my Volt can take, if anyone else in the house gets a BEV like a Bolt, they should have no issue. I plan on actually relocating it to the exterior of the garage since it is durable enough for it, and it will provide more flexibility for where I can park.

I do regret not having WiFi though, and I discovered the OpenEVSE after my purchase. I'm pretty tech savvy, and for the WiFi advantage I sometimes regret not getting that instead. I cannot speak for its durability, though.

Per the ClipperCreek website, the charging power of the LCS-20 is 16 amp (3.8kW max.) The required supply circuit is 208V/240V @ 20 amp.

I've never had an issue with coiling and uncoiling the 25 ft. length of the charging cord on my ClipperCreek EVSE. I appreciate the flexibility a longer charging cord provides. In any event you would be hard pressed to find a charging cord much longer than 28 -30 ft. without using an EVSE charging extension cord (these do exist, are not inexpensive.)
Ahh yes you're right. I don't have the LCS-20, I have an LCS-25, which supplies 20 amps or 4.8 Kw (slightly confusing as to why they couldn't use the number to specify amps).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.