GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to by a Volt within the next year, and I can’t decide whether to go for the 1st or 2nd generation. The 2nd gen, of course, has longer range, better fuel efficiency, and a fifth seat. However, due to the changes made to the battery and drivetrain to reduce weight and price, I’m concerned about the reliability. I have no worries about a 1st generation Volt needing special maintenance or battery replacement for a long time, if ever, but the 2nd generation is too young for me to know if reliability has been compromised in favor of price reduction. Is there anyone who knows more than me in regard to what changes the battery has undergone and how that would effect it in the long term?

· Registered
Chevy, Volt 2013, ~260,000K Miles.
43 Posts

· Registered
4,150 Posts
Go with a 2017 or later. 2016 was the first model year and it shows. As for the Gen 1 Volts, they are starting to age and components, hoses, wiring, etc., do wear out.

· Super Moderator
6,299 Posts
Scott, I am interested in a bit more detail on the 'Shifter Problem', I assume that has been discussed on this forum elsewhere?
The problem is the car won't shut off even tho the DIC and console indicate the car is in Park. You still get a message that it is not in park. GM knew it was a problem and instructed their dealers to fix any car on their lot. Existing customers out of warranty had to pay for the fix. It cost me almost $500.
Several threads on this: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?291665-Totally-different-shift-to-park-issue

· Super Moderator
6,299 Posts

· Registered
746 Posts
I own a MY 2018. The Gen 2 out performs the Gen 1 in everyway, EV range, acceleration, gas mileage, etc. The Gen 1 has a better interior in my opinion but aside from that I prefer the Gen 2. As some have pointed out the youngest Gen 1 cars are about 5 years old now and will have more wear and deterioration of materials.

Go for the newest Gen 2 that you can. The shifter problem may have been resolved with the newer cars.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
We owned both a 2014 Volt Premier and our current 2016 Volt Premier. We put on about 42,000 miles or so on our 14 Volt, and traded it in for our 16 Volt in July 2016. Now approaching 70,000 miles. Both were pretty much trouble free. No battery degradation noticed at this time with our 16 Volt.

We use our 16 Volt with the gas engine more than most owners. The 2016 Volt was a big improvement in mpg on gas, 87 octane at that, per voltstats.net nearly 50 mpg gas only(cs)along with more electric range as well, currently 63 miles per charge, winter 45 miles per charge.

I would have to believe that most of the kinks from the Gen 1 were worked out in the Gen 2. One can now only speculate what
the Gen 3 would have been, but we will never know.....

· Registered
16 Posts
Go with a 2017 or later. 2016 was the first model year and it shows. As for the Gen 1 Volts, they are starting to age and components, hoses, wiring, etc., do wear out.
I don't agree with this at all. I have a 2016 and it's been great with the exception of the Active Grill Shutters needing to be replaced.

The other issues I've had included a right front mount strut bearing needing to be replaced and a cracked windshield. Neither of those have anything to do with the car being a Volt (do other GM models use active grill shutters...?).

Knock wood, but I've not had the (dis)pleasure of the Shift To Park issue.

Despite my initial hesitation of buying a GM, this has been the best car I've owned.

· Registered
4,150 Posts
I don't agree with this at all. I have a 2016 and it's been great with the exception of the Active Grill Shutters needing to be replaced.

The other issues I've had included a right front mount strut bearing needing to be replaced and a cracked windshield. Neither of those have anything to do with the car being a Volt (do other GM models use active grill shutters...?).

Knock wood, but I've not had the (dis)pleasure of the Shift To Park issue.

Despite my initial hesitation of buying a GM, this has been the best car I've owned.
I know for a fact that the 2011 - 2016 Cruze ECO and 2014-2015 Cruze Clean Diesel have active grill shutters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.