GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to decide which incentive offers to pick from GM.

1. Have a plug installed from Qmerit -- still have to buy a new high power Level 2 EVS. or use the portable Level 2 EVSE that came with the vehicle. I already have a low power one that can only charge 12 miles/hour. A new one will be 24 miles/hour rate.

2. Retrofit my old Level 2 EVSE with new wiring / breaker. GM will pay up to $1000 to do this.

3. Take the $500 EVGO voucher that's good for one year of DCFC

Which choice should I pick?

·
Registered
538 Posts
The current level 2 charge set up at my house works fine for my Volt, should be able to charge the Bolt fast enough for my needs. I am choosing $500 EVGO
And the credit is good for THREE years...I just looked it up

·
Administrator
22,836 Posts
Depends on how often you charge outside the home. I've done that on one trip years ago, but not since then. Also depends on how often the outside charging would use DCFC.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Bolt will be parked outside in the same spot where the Volt used to be. If I replace my old unit I will have to choose a new weatherproof EVSE. It's tempting to install a new EVSE but I take 300 miles/day road trip once or twice a month so the EVGO credit could also be useful. The portable EVSE Level 2 that came with the car is a 32A 7.2kW with a NEMA 6-50 plug so it's at least twice as fast as what I got. But talking with my friends and watching Youtube reviews, getting a high power 240V outlet added to my garage is a much better value and would even help increase the value of my house.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
2. Retrofit my old Level 2 EVSE with new wiring / breaker. GM will pay up to $1000 to do this.
I'd go this route.

3 isn't much interesting because $500 is about 4000 miles of charging AWAY from home. It might be valuable if it lasted forever, but based on how I've driven, I wouldn't even use a tenth of that with a year deadline.

And 1, well.... I only got one EV. I only foresee myself having one EV. So how fast the thing charges in the garage only has to meet my needs for typical driving. Even only a 3kw (15 amp level 2) will put 100-150 miles on a battery overnight, and do so every night until full. Even if you commute 75 miles a day and start the week arriving home from a weekend roadtrip with an empty battery, it'll be fully charged by Friday morning even WITH your commuting, and probably by Wednesday. What you already got is plenty for like 99% of the population's needs, and making it into solid infrastructure instead of interim solutions is basically all you get enduring benefit from.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the 1st option. They haven't done any work yet but I've had to take some pictures of the installation location, breaker box, incoming power line and they were able to put a quote and submit it to GM.
This was the invoice that was sent to me.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Software

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went with the 1st option. They haven't done any work yet but I've had to take some pictures of the installation location, breaker box, incoming power line and they were able to put a quote and submit it to GM.

View attachment 174783

View attachment 174783
Good move. $1800 saving is fantastic, and you get a much higher charge rate.
Win ... win.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got my outlet installed. Unfortunately they only pulled a permit for a 40amp and the company only bought a 40amp breaker. However, I asked the electrician if he could put in a 6 AWG wire and he did now I can easily upgrade to a 60amp outlet by replacing the breaker. I'm pretty happy with the installation. Now I have a 16 amp unit outside and 32amp unit inside.

Fixture Grey Rectangle Material property Gas
Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Cable Machine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts