GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my new Volt (slowly) makes its way from Detroit to Toronto, I wondered what apps or sites people use for public charging recommendations?

I am lucky that most days I should be able to charge my car for free in the underground parking at my office, but there is no doubt that once we get the new car a few road trips will be in our future so we may have to strategically plan where to stay in hotels that might offer charging facilities, or that are nearby to a public station that one of the multitude of sites/apps shows .... Also thought the answers to this question may be of relevance to Condo dwellers who may or may not have access to charging within their buildings and would be able to perhaps find something nearby so that their future was not all ICE?

So far I have found the following (or have them on my phone). What are people's thoughts or other recommendations?

OpenCharge seems to be a non-profit public database of charging stations
Plugshare very comprehensive list of charge stations both public and private
ChargePoint another list of stations. Have not joined. Is it worth it ?
EV Chargehub yet another list.

For us Canadians (not sure if there is a AAA equivalent): CAA List of EV Stations in Canada
Perhaps this is the equivalent for USA?: US Dept of Energy

Saw this for certain states in USA but not valid for me really: Blink Network

Any others ?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Plugshare seems to be the most comprehensive for finding charging stations. If ON is anything like BC you'll also want a ChargePoint account to access 1/3 of the stations you come across, though you can also use an RFID credit card.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The only time I've needed an app was when I went to upstate NY for a wedding. I used PlugShare, but downloaded Charpoint to activate the station I found.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have PlugShare and ChargePoint apps, and they work well for me. What I like about PlugShare is the comprehensive list which you can filter to what your car can use - so you don't get a bunch of Tesla stations when you're looking for your Volt, etc. It's also nice for the social aspect - you can report on specifics of where a station is, in case it's hard to find, and also if it's down/not working for some reason.

I have the ChargePoint specifically for using CP stations - it seems to be ok for other stations as well, but I like PlugShare best overall for finding them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Plugshare seems to be the most comprehensive for finding charging stations. If ON is anything like BC you'll also want a ChargePoint account to access 1/3 of the stations you come across, though you can also use an RFID credit card.
What is the chargepoint AP? Is that an alternative to using the little RFID card?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
What is the chargepoint AP? Is that an alternative to using the little RFID card?
The chargepoint app shows you where the stations are located, and shows you the cost to charge. It also allows you to activate the station from your phone without the need for the card. I didn't have my chargepoint card on me, so I just downloaded the app to activate the EVSE.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The chargepoint app shows you where the stations are located, and shows you the cost to charge. It also allows you to activate the station from your phone without the need for the card. I didn't have my chargepoint card on me, so I just downloaded the app to activate the EVSE.
Best feature about ChargePoint app is it tells you (reliably) whether the ChargePoint station is in use or not. This is extremely handy for locations with multiple stations. One I use daily has 8 stations spread out over six separate areas in a giant parking structure, making the location/status feature invaluable.

Only time I use PlugShare is for advanced planning for a road trip.

Good luck with your new Volt!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Best feature about ChargePoint app is it tells you (reliably) whether the ChargePoint station is in use or not. This is extremely handy for locations with multiple stations. One I use daily has 8 stations spread out over six separate areas in a giant parking structure, making the location/status feature invaluable.

Only time I use PlugShare is for advanced planning for a road trip.

Good luck with your new Volt!

ChargePoint opted to NOT share its status with any outside parties. This is an unfortunate change in their policy as that wasn't always the case; now consumers have to effectively use two apps to get visibility into open charging stations (or more, if the other operators follow suit).

It's a pain on our other EV, which has a charger-aware Nav interface. The ChargePoint stations are now "gray" instead of "green" or "red" for availability. Still, I much prefer ChargePoint's overall business model (revenue share with location owner) vs. Blink's (pay directly to Car Charging Group @ outrageous prices).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts