GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are folks installing in their garages? We've been looking at the Bosch, Seimens, GE and the Blink HQ. Anybody got any experience installing any of these options?

We currently have an old Blink that was installed at the beginning of the Leaf rollout (EV Project) but it's way on the other side of the garage. Not a bad unit although we've had to have it serviced three times in 2.5 years. We've been swapping the plug between the Leaf and our new Volt but it's getting annoying. We'd like to have a second charger installed but there now there are options so I'd like to know if anybody has any experiences they can share.

·
Registered
231 Posts
looked at the Blink, but rejected it on cost and features that make no sense with a Volt.

You should have Clipper Creek on your list. Quite a few of us have gone that way, then they retroactively extended the warranty on all residential units to 3 yrs (regardless of who installs it). And current price for the LCS-25 is only $495.

My LCS-25 has been flawless. http://www.clippercreek.com/

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Clipper Creek

I would personally recommend you either choose Clipper Creek or Clipper Creek...not a typo. This thing is utterly silent, built like a brick, and is made right in the U.S. They actually answer the phone, emails, and I was personally called as a follow up after an email to them. Their representatives are outstanding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the clipper creek because of its small foot print,but ended up buying a GE wattstation as it is a plug in model and has an on off switch.the first unit did give me problems though,customer service at GE is good and they are sending in a replacement unit .I wisk clipper creek makes a plug in charger.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like the clipper creek because of its small foot print,but ended up buying a GE wattstation as it is a plug in model and has an on off switch.the first unit did give me problems though,customer service at GE is good and they are sending in a replacement unit .I wisk clipper creek makes a plug in charger.
Nothing stopping you from putting a plug on the end of the CC pigtail

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Schneider has a variety of good chargers. But clipper creek is some good usa made stuff.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I hate to "me too" the thread. But price for performance (which I guess is more quality than performance) I would say, Clipper Creek. Not a lot of "performance" difference between chargers, they all do the same thing. It's one of, if not THE cheapest unit. Built real well. Works.

Yep, you can put a plug on the wiring if you really wanted it to have a plug, or you can hard wire it. And the standby "vampire" power it uses, from what their tech said, is 2 watts. So very low power, you probably don't need to power it off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Siemens VersiCharge and love its features, especially that it can crank its output to 7.2 kwh (twice what's needed for the Volt)... potentially useful down the road if charging/battery capacities increase. Has a three-year warranty. But the main reason I went with it is because my utility company has a bunch of credits available to buyers of plug-in vehicles, so I got the charger, installation, addition of 40-amp circuit, everything for free. If this wasn't available, I definitely would have gone for the Clipper Creek.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't get any credit for buying charger other then fedral credit and I am thinking about going with Siemens VersiCharge. main reason althought being $350 expensive. It is more future proof and I don't want to spend more money of later converting circuit to 40Amp.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If this is your long term home, here is my recommendation : Install a 100A subpanel in your garage. While the upfront cost is high, you are future proofing your wiring for multiple EVs. Within the subpanel, install a 25A breaker and hook an LCS25 to it. You can add more powerful L2 equipment later.

Even if you don't plan to live long-term in this house, you are making an investment in your home that could provide better resale value, and you get a 30%tax rebate too!

If you don't want the large upfront investment, just run a 25A drop from your main panel to the garage and hookup an LCS25

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't get any credit for buying charger other then fedral credit and I am thinking about going with Siemens VersiCharge. main reason althought being $350 expensive. It is more future proof and I don't want to spend more money of later converting circuit to 40Amp.
You can wire the circuit oversize for future growth. (I did wire for 40A, but only a 20A breaker for now)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I reused a 50-amp circuit from my kitchen. I installed a 125-amp sub-panel (more room inside) with a 40-amp dual breaker as recommended for the GE. I bought GE and all the parts from Home Depot on a 6-month zero pct card.

The plug-in GE has a lock, off switch, and night light. 5-months in and no troubles at all. Entire cost was $1100.

If I need more than 50-amps (unlikely) I'll need a new separate power entrance just for cars.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My chargers

image.jpg
Home unit: timer feature and charge time display shows ,in hours, how long the charge was
Schneider evlink paid $230.00
18' heavy duty cord

Replaced Voltec unit,

image.jpg
Office unit: outdoor commercial Eaton
Paid $500.00
24' heavy duty cord.
They have been flawless with the Volt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our Schneider unit has performed great. We love the free custom skin option included. We used a great family picture for ours. We also like the intuitive display that's readable from a glance even at a distance.

I may be partial, but it really has worked great.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I bought the AV unit found advertised on here with $100 coupon . The same units used commercially in OR. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them. I charge in less than 4 hours. Of course it's a 7.2 kw charger so not even using half the capacity, but a little future proofed.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
561 Posts
I would personally recommend you either choose Clipper Creek or Clipper Creek...not a typo. This thing is utterly silent, built like a brick, and is made right in the U.S. They actually answer the phone, emails, and I was personally called as a follow up after an email to them. Their representatives are outstanding.
Based on the good reviews and August pricing I got the Clipper Creek LCS-25 too. Installed last weekend. It works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, great information guys. The Clipper Creek wasn't even on our list although now we remember it from the free chargers they have in Palm Springs. Not very stylish but the Made in USA and price (and 3 year warranty) is really what we want.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also went with the Clipper Creek and had it installed this weekend. I liked the fact that it was made in the USA and the 3 year warranty is nice. The extra $100 off was a bonus for me. I have used it twice so far and it works great.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts