GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find the date of manufacture? I thought it was on the door sticker, but mine doesn't have it (see attached photo): IMG_0594.JPG

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My 2016 has a second sticker (see below) that has the month and year... look again for the second sticker.

That's the best you can get unless you actually ordered the vehicle and then received e-mail updates from the Chevy Chat site providing you a notice as your order proceeded along the various status codes assigned to all GM vehicles.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The VIN (vehicle Idetification Number) has the year and mnth of manufacture:
https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/find-your-cars-date-manufacture-vin

"Its been confirmed that effective from February 2011, there is a change in the Month code position of Chevrolet VIN.

7th Character now represents Month
10th Character is Year.
For e.g if your 7th Character is G then its July.

Additionally, you can find a separate placard near the front left door, right bottom (near seat) that has 2 characters representing MONTH and YEAR. For e.g GB = July 2011."

You can also decode your VIN here:
http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vin-decoder.php

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the info but neither of these sites work for my 2017.
There must have been another change since my 7th character is an 'S', which isn't on the month charts.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Thanks for the info but neither of these sites work for my 2017.
There must have been another change since my 7th character is an 'S', which isn't on the month charts.
The Gen 2 Volts have the car's build date on the center B pillar (the one the driver's door latches onto) along with the tire loading label as pointed out above. Just look there. From the 2017 owner's manual:

G2 Certification Label (build date).jpg

·
Registered
524 Posts
Production date is stored in the car's computer. It is often printed out on service orders. Next time in for service ask the service writer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Then I would gather the next question to ask is which day of the week is the best / worst to have our Volt get born??

Maybe that doesn't apply like it used to. I just remember hearing you never wanted a car on Monday due to hangovers or Friday due to thinking about getting drunk in a few hours. But that was the '70s rumors (or true back then!).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Then I would gather the next question to ask is which day of the week is the best / worst to have our Volt get born??

Maybe that doesn't apply like it used to. I just remember hearing you never wanted a car on Monday due to hangovers or Friday due to thinking about getting drunk in a few hours. But that was the '70s rumors (or true back then!).
I don't think the old manufacturing day of the week logic works anymore as most of the assembly (preassembly) is done in modules, i.e. the dashboard, engine, or the battery pack. Thus, day of manufacture for the car doesn't apply to these subassemblies. Most assembly is now done by 'sober' robots.

Here's a flashback for us crusty old folks:

I remember in the 70's my girlfriend's (tiny and inexpensive) 1970 Toyota Corolla (manual transmission) went well over 100,000 miles without a lot of maintenance and still nothing broke. Other than an occasional oil and filter change, her car didn't need plugs, plug wires, points, condensers, caps, rotors, water pumps, clutches, alternators, u-joints, fluids, fuses, etc. It always started and ran so why fix it? This was a learning experience for us suffering GM, Ford, and Chrysler owners that you are referring to in your statement above. Japanese competition started a car QC revolution. Now the electric car is the next revolution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts