GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you turn on without putting foot on brake and pressing start? By turn on Im mean to look at something on the screen or play the radio, like accessory mode

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
How can you turn on without putting foot on brake and pressing start? By turn on Im mean to look at something on the screen or play the radio, like accessory mode
Owners Manual section 9-19
Retained Accessory Power (RAP)
The following features will operate for up to 10 minutes or until the driver door is opened:
-Audio System
-Accessory Power Outlets
Power windows will operate for up to 10 minutes or until any door is opened.
In short if you want to run something, the car needs to be on. ACC mode was just a way to save fuel by not running the engine. No such thing in the Volt.

·
Registered
907 Posts
But there is! search for "Service Only Mode". Just press the power button for > 5 seconds (with your foot OFF the brake). Yes, it will run down the 12V battery... I recommend just turning it on.

·
4,852 Posts
You don't NEED to turn the car on OR use service mode, there is an ACC, sort of...

With the car off, you can press the RADIO'S power button, and the center stack will turn on and play music for 10 minutes. You can keep pressing the radio button every 10 minutes to continue playing music.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You don't NEED to turn the car on OR use service mode, there is an ACC, sort of...

With the car off, you can press the RADIO'S power button, and the center stack will turn on and play music for 10 minutes. You can keep pressing the radio button every 10 minutes to continue playing music.
I'll be damned, I just went out and tried that. Neat, I had no idea. (still doesn't help if I want to charge my phone though <grin>)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ALL, have to say this forum is just awesome with responses!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'll be damned, I just went out and tried that. Neat, I had no idea. (still doesn't help if I want to charge my phone though <grin>)
I purchased one of those lithium portable battery units from Costco - it was about $40 Canadian - stuck it in the cubby. Supposed to be able to charge a cell phone up to about 10X with when fully charged. There are many models available with lots of reserve battery power. I figure I maybe have to charge the unit once a year just to keep it topped up. This is a link to an example of such a unit similar but not exact to the one I purchased:

http://www.costco.com/TP-Link-PB50-10,000mAh-Portable-Power-Bank-for-Cell-Phones-and-Tablets.product.100242855.html

I figure it could power/charge a gps, cell phone, tablet etc for quite a long time.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I often had to sit in a Volt waiting for kids to get out of school about 30-45 minutes. Sometimes it's over 100°F.

I just leave the car on, run the AC, and radio. Unlike an ICE car, you can run the AC without the motor running, and you can leave accessories on a long time without worrying about the battery.

It's a WAY better car to wait around in than an ICE.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I believe the inquiry re acc is for accessory mode on the ignition switch. Sorry, no accessory mode other than you can continue to use the infotainment system and the 12V accessory power port for up to 10 minutes after shutting off the Volt (or until you open the driver's door.) You can play the radio by pressing the infotainment power button but only for 10 minutes at a time. In short, unless you wire directly to the fuse panel or to the 12V battery the Volt will not be able to continuously power a 12V accessory once the Volt is powered off (even if the Volt is plugged in for charging.)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I believe the inquiry re acc is for accessory mode on the ignition switch. Sorry, no accessory mode other than you can continue to use the infotainment system and the 12V accessory power port for up to 10 minutes after shutting off the Volt (or until you open the driver's door.) You can play the radio by pressing the infotainment power button but only for 10 minutes at a time. In short, unless you wire directly to the fuse panel or to the 12V battery the Volt will not be able to continuously power a 12V accessory once the Volt is powered off (even if the Volt is plugged in for charging.)
Not true. Simply press the power button and hold it for approx. 5 seconds while ignoring the message to push the brake pedal. The Volt will happily power up in accessory power mode and stay that way until the 12V battery is drained.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Not true. Simply press the power button and hold it for approx. 5 seconds while ignoring the message to push the brake pedal. The Volt will happily power up in accessory power mode and stay that way until the 12V battery is drained.
That is only if you wish to activate the Volt's diagnostic mode for the 12V system(s). As stated, this mode will quickly drain the 12V battery and is not recommended for other than its intended purpose. This 12V diagnostic mode is not described in the Volt Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Simply press the power button and hold it for approx. 5 seconds ....
Oh, and the remote has to be in proximity as well.
Still, When I nap in the car on the passenger's side (no pedals so more foot room) I can change the window aperture without having to go to the other side to press the brake. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts