GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 100k+ Miles
1,079 Posts
Today's high average prices should not be considered "normal", it's simply the temporary effect of current conditions. I'd wager that 2022 will show another increase in the average age of vehicles on the road as a result. For 2021 the average age was 12.1 years.

Reactions: tripowergto 2010

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For $47K you can buy a new Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Audi and Lexus. Surely that's not what the average middle class person is buying. If you add $1 Million cars, $100K cars and $25K car you could potentially get a $47K average. But if you earn an average income of $67K and you're buying an average $47K car, you're insane.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For $47K you can buy a new Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Audi and Lexus. Surely that's not what the average middle class person is buying. If you add $1 Million cars, $100K cars and $25K car you could potentially get a $47K average. But if you earn an average income of $67K and you're buying an average $47K car, you're insane.
Sure buyers could have a Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Audi and Lexus model, but the Tesla Model 3 is selling more YTD.

The 25 Bestselling Cars, Trucks, and SUVs of 2022 (So Far)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No doubt Tesla has become the status symbol for the noveau riche but none of the Tesla I've seen available for sale has yet to capture my attention. The 2 to 4 Teslas I've seen (last time I went car shopping) had trim pieces coming out, severely worn out seats, poor paint, poor body panels. At the same time having a price tag of $50K and above. Need I mention these cars had less than 12K miles on them. How do you get away with that?
When they start bringing out the $25K to $30K model, I'll consider buying one. This will not likely happen in my lifetime.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go figure, the Tesla now starts at $47k!!

As an American, I'm happy to see an American brand near the top of the list and expanding manufacturing in the US. Tesla could go higher in price because the demand is so high, but they walk the fine line of pricing. Remember when Tesla only produced the Model S? Now the Model S is $100K.

Notice no Ford MachE, which in many ways is better than the Tesla Model Y. Ford unfortunately is building those in Mexico and did not plan for a high volume out. Maybe they are ramping up.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I see Honda is opening a plant in China to sell a $26,000 EV.

·
Administrator
22,269 Posts
Perhaps the Shanghai Gigafactory will be making a $26K Tesla as well and exporting it to the US.
I think that model will use a cheaper iron-based battery chemistry.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Perhaps the Shanghai Gigafactory will be making a $26K Tesla as well and exporting it to the US.
How many Chinese companies are selling vehicles in the US today? I’m sure the government regulations and crash testing are holding them back.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Chinese cars are sold in Europe but Europe's standards are different than the US. In some instances they are more strict, in some they are less strict but there is no reason they couldn't be made to meet US standards. For now they are selling all they can make just like other manufacturers from other countries. Entering the US would be a costly endeavor and until they could make enough to justify the cost, there is no point in spreading yourself too thin.

The Chinese don't sell cars in all of Europe but to a few countries, just like the Japanese and Koreans only sell their limited supply of cars (EVs) in a few States and not in all.

Reactions: scottf200
21 - 33 of 33 Posts