GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2015 Volt, and after driving a Honda Insight, and two Priuses for the last twelve years, it's a change. I've always had nav before, and i didn't buy it for the Volt, partly because Volt owners don't seem impressed with it, and partly because, in recent years, i have relied more on my phone than the onboard nav. But i'm interested in how 2015 Volt owners mount your cellphones when using them for nav. The windshield seems to slope too far away for an effective mount, and the top of the instrument panel seems too textured for a suction grip there. Does anyone use a cupholder mount? if so, which one? Thanks. I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
In my case it's my GPS not my phone, but I'd imagine it would work well for you too.
I got a Scosche Mobile Windshield and Vent Mount Kit at Walmart.

Then suction-cupped it to the "vent window" on the drivers side and bent the arm until it was sitting where I wanted it.

When the door is closed is -just barely- rests on the edge of the dashboard. Been this way for a month and I've been very happy with the location (in reach) and how solidly it stays in place.

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I tried a friction mount on the dash to the left of the dash top compartment. Worked well but a slight reach for operating it, plus someone else needed it more, so I gave it away.

I then tried a premium suction mount on windshield next to rear view mirror, to the right of it. Pretty good but slightly too far out of my line of sight. BTW, the suction cups hold best if you put a very slight residue of oil on them instead of water.

I now have an adhesive magnet mount on order and will mount it to the side of the center display housing or near the power button. Should be very convenient if it works out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found my iPhone 6 Plus fits perfectly wedged into the opened compartment at the top of the dash. Open the door, and the phone snaps into place and is kept there by the tension of the compartment door.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
In my case it's my GPS not my phone, but I'd imagine it would work well for you too.
I got a Scosche Mobile Windshield and Vent Mount Kit at Walmart.

Then suction-cupped it to the "vent window" on the drivers side and bent the arm until it was sitting where I wanted it.

When the door is closed is -just barely- rests on the edge of the dashboard. Been this way for a month and I've been very happy with the location (in reach) and how solidly it stays in place.
Excellent placement. Every GPS/Phone should be mounted here rather than the center of the windshield.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Thanks, I played around with a few locations before settling on that one. It puts the GPS just off line of sight where I can glance to it and then right back to the road easily, it's easy to reach, and because it swings out when I open the door it's super easy to disconnect and take with me for updates or just to avoid theft.

I thought it might be a good idea and the longer I have it set up this way the more I wish I could do the same thing with my Jeep but unfortunately the whole window rolls down on the Jeep so no such option.

·
Registered
68 Posts
VoltPhone! Choice of several mounting locations for the Gen 1 car:

http://voltshelf.weebly.com/new-voltphone-1-2-and-3.html
+1 for the VoltPhone. I have the VoltPhone 3 model and I really like how it places my phone in between the centre console display and the DIC. The magnetic mount is strong; my Nexus 5 (which had wireless charging) stayed put without even having to use the supplemental metal plate that came with the mount.

Scarlett makes excellent products (not just the phone mount(s)) and is an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I have NFI in the products; just a very satisfied customer.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Excellent placement. Every GPS/Phone should be mounted here rather than the center of the windshield.
I don't agree, but that's in large part because I'm over 6' tall and ANYTHING on the dash isn't obscuring my view. Putting a GPS on the center dash obscure my view of, basically, the passenger windshield wiper. And I've got enough trouble seeing around the A-pillar as it is, so anything over there isn't going to improve things.

·
Registered
962 Posts
+1 for the VoltPhone. I have the VoltPhone 3 model and I really like how it places my phone in between the centre console display and the DIC. The magnetic mount is strong; my Nexus 5 (which had wireless charging) stayed put without even having to use the supplemental metal plate that came with the mount.

Scarlett makes excellent products (not just the phone mount(s)) and is an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Thanks, Croptop! I'm glad you like your VoltStuff.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Windshield in the middle. I have an xProDock, and this model is rock solid. I have no concerns about it coming loose like my old GPS. With two point adjustments windshield angles are irrelevant.

https://ibolt.co

·
Registered
50 Posts

This would have been great to see before I got the ProClip solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new 2013 Volt owner, and I am using the iPow CD slot phone holder for my iPhone 6s Plus. It fits pretty nicely in the center stack and only obscures a few buttons on the passenger side which I rarely use and are duplicated on the touch screen. My girlfriend uses the same for her iPhone 6s in her 2013 Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a ProClip style mount in my other car but instead of using their special phone holder, I stuck a QUADLOCK UNIVERSAL ADAPTOR onto my Lifeproof Nuud case (very slim solution).

On the ProClip I stuck on the QUADLOCK ADHESIVE MOUNT. I'm too new to this forum to post links, but google the all caps and you'll find them.

That way I can also clip my phone to an armband, belt clip, or bicycle, all using the same mounting system. It's rock solid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts