GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.

I'll be traveling up to Wisconsin Dells this weekend. I looked at the Chargepoint map and the Blink Network map. Neither one shows any chargers. Can anyone tell me if/where a public charger is in the Dells?

Thanks.

· Registered
347 Posts
It might be easier burning one of the many fat people for energy. Wisconsin Dells and ESVE shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

I'd ask the hotel or wherever you're staging if you can plug in.

· Registered
8 Posts
I live in Central IL and the proliferation of charging stations has not happened yet. Sure Chicago and St Louis have lots of public chargers but everything in between is pretty sad. I am finalizing the purchase of a Volt in the next few days. The nearest public charging station to me is 30 miles. They have a couple located in a new shopping center, the university, one at city hall, and one at the museum. Thats about it. Plugshare lists 7 chargers in that city of 187k people. Basically if your destination is not one of those 7 places/facilities then you are out of luck. And keep in mind this is all 30+ miles from my home. My town of 15k people has zero chargers....
Pure electric wouldnt cut it around here but I think the Volt is a good solution with the gas range extender...

· Administrator
23,393 Posts
I live in Central IL and the proliferation of charging stations has not happened yet. Sure Chicago and St Louis have lots of public chargers but everything in between is pretty sad. I am finalizing the purchase of a Volt in the next few days. The nearest public charging station to me is 30 miles. They have a couple located in a new shopping center, one at city hall, and one at the museum. Thats about it. Basically if your destination is not one of those 3 places/facilities then you are out of luck. Pure electric wouldnt cut it around here but I think the Volt is a good solution with the gas range extender...
Exactly. If I had a BEV, I'd be concerned about "charge station anxiety". But I have a Volt, so I'm not. If you get a BEV, you are getting it for local driving. Tesla may be an exception depending on where you are traveling.

· Registered
3,913 Posts
Sure Chicago and St Louis have lots of public chargers
Ha! Really? Where? Compare STL to Kansas City or Chicago on Plugshare.

We have a disgustingly low number of public chargers..... Something I talked to my State rep about in fact.

· Registered
334 Posts
Good morning.

I'll be traveling up to Wisconsin Dells this weekend. I looked at the Chargepoint map and the Blink Network map. Neither one shows any chargers. Can anyone tell me if/where a public charger is in the Dells?

Thanks.
Are you staying at a motel? If you are, call ahead and ask them if you can charge at a 110 volt outlet. It's probably best to ask before you get there, in case the desk clerk has to find a manager to get approval. If you don't call ahead, you can gamble on finding an outlet on a light pole in the parking lot. You'll probably also find one on the exterior of the building near the air conditioners. If you were travelling in Minnesota, you'd probably find many hotels with 110 volt plugs in the parking lot for block heaters. I don't know why this isn't quite as common in central Wisconsin.

If you are just visiting for the day, you might be out of luck. The world isn't going to end if you're forced to burn a couple of gallons of gas.

I really am not surprised that there aren't any public charging stations in Wisconsin Dells. If there was a significant demand, I am sure that they would be there. Not many tourists are driving their Leafs from Madison to the Dells, I guess.

· Registered
184 Posts
I have found many hotels who have outlets for RVs and small refrigerator trucks happy to accommodate our Volt. I have even used outlets near the pool areas. We had arrangements at the Park Oasis in Mauston, WI for this type of outlet, before the trip was canceled. Bring a good quality extension cord,ours is 100 ft.,too. I always ask before plugging in.

· Registered
3,479 Posts
Good morning.

.. I looked at the Chargepoint map and the Blink Network map. Neither one shows any chargers. ....
Plug share is your best friend. Crowd sourced with real comments and very little noise. also do as others have recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.