GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's been a while since this was asked. I did 5 searches and didn't find anything relevant in recent threads.

When you power down the Volt, the radio stays on until you open the door. I hate it. At the very least, Chevy should give us an option to either (1) leave the radio on until the door opens or (2) turn off the radio right away.

Is there a "fix" for this yet? Or do I have to hit the mute button on the steering wheel every time I power down?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I think it's been a while since this was asked. I did 5 searches and didn't find anything relevant in recent threads.

When you power down the Volt, the radio stays on until you open the door. I hate it. At the very least, Chevy should give us an option to either (1) leave the radio on until the door opens or (2) turn off the radio right away.

Is there a "fix" for this yet? Or do I have to hit the mute button on the steering wheel every time I power down?
I usually have BT audio streaming from my phone playing through the Volt's audio system. When I power down the Volt, if I am quick enough and open the driver's door right away, the audio does not have a chance to resume playing.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have not heard of any way to change that. I usually exit my car immediately after turning it off, so it is not a problem in that case. Sometimes I appreciate being able to hear the rest of what was playing. Otherwise, I punch the radio power button. I think that, or the mute button, or volume knob, are the only solutions.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
761 Posts
It's working as designed, so no there is no "fix".

I'll power off the car and continue to listen if it's interesting, or I'm on the hands free, so it's all a matter of perspective.

·
Registered
806 Posts
This is by design and is not a 'broken' implementation. My 2011 Dodge Journey has the exact same behavior where it will keep the radio on after the car is shut off until either a. the door is opened or b. 45 seconds pass.

I don't know if there is a time delay on the Volt or if it will keep the radio on indefinitely until the door is opened.

What are you listening to that you are so concerned about the outside world hearing?

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's called Retained Accessory Power and lasts for 10 minutes. Or the driver's door is opened. I like it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Welcome to the keyless age. When you had a hard key and you removed it from the ignition everything went off because the car had no way of knowing/sensing anything else. Now there is no hard key, and no ignition. So there really is no "off". Off is when you get out of the car, or the system shuts down to prevent the 12v battery from draining.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's working as designed, so no there is no "fix".

I'll power off the car and continue to listen if it's interesting, or I'm on the hands free, so it's all a matter of perspective.
In my 2018 Volt the radio turns OFF then turns back ON. It is annoying. When I open the door it turns OFF and stays off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know why those small things (auto locking doors with D engaged, auto lights, etc) are not at least dealer programmable through GDS2. New generation wants customization.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I don't know why those small things (auto locking doors with D engaged, auto lights, etc) are not at least dealer programmable through GDS2. New generation wants customization.
The automatic locking doors and lights are probably set for maximum safety and minimum product liability.

·
Registered
761 Posts
In my 2018 Volt the radio turns OFF then turns back ON. It is annoying. When I open the door it turns OFF and stays off.
That's odd, as it's not the behavior of the 2017. The radio just stays on, not off then on.

·
Registered
761 Posts
There is a setting for the auto-locking doors. It's user configurable.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I think what is happening, is the radio is being muted so it can play the "shut down" sound, when the 'effects' are through playing, the radio is unmuted. The fix might be to turn off the entry/exit sounds in the setup menu.

It doesn't bother me enough to try it myself.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

The radio station was good enough to have on when the ignition was turned on, so where's the problem? OCD?

I suspect there's a long list of other things that bug you. :p

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I don't think it's broken. I don't see it as an issue. It goes off when the door opens and it starts up when I get back into the car and start it. If I'm still sitting in the car, I'm likely to be still listening to the radio anyway. The OP hates it? If listening to the radio while the car is running is ok, how does it become so objectionable once the car is off? It's not like it changes the program you're were listening too.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
BT audio is designed to you can start a phone conversation (hands free), while driving, and continue your conversation once you have parked, exited the vehicle. I didn't use the radio very often in my last vehicle but I believe it also continued to play the radio for some minutes once I turned off the ignition until I opened the driver's door.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually, this is how my 2016 Volt used to behave. Then my center display console went out so I had to take my Volt into the dealership to get it replaced under warranty. After the new display was installed, the radio now just stays on.

THIS is what I was hoping for. It's so easy to make this user configurable.

The radio station was good enough to have on when the ignition was turned on, so where's the problem? OCD?

I suspect there's a long list of other things that bug you. :p
Well, I pressed the POWER OFF button for a reason. To turn everything off. If I wanted the radio on, then I could simply not press anything after putting the car into Park. Why can't they give us the option to leave it on or off??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts