GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual says my next service is at 15,000. However, at my 7500 service they put I am due 12500. So what's the deal? This was at Chevy. 7,500 between rotations seems a lot, no?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Every 7500mi/12000km is the standard rotation interval. Nothing's stopping you from doing it more often, if you'd like. But IMO it's a waste of time/money unless you are noticing significantly different wear between the tires each time.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The service manual says my next service is at 15,000. However, at my 7500 service they put I am due 12500. So what's the deal? This was at Chevy. 7,500 between rotations seems a lot, no?
What does the manual say?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Their income was down a little last month, so they decided that you need to come back every 5000 miles instead of 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
And some say dont rotate them at all.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
They are fools.

As posted above, the manual states every 7,500. I rotate every 6-7,000 miles personally.
And, in my case, 7500 miles is about as long as "not winter tires" season lasts, plus or minus a few hundred. So no "rotation" necessary, just remembering where to put them next time.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Mine rotate every time I drive.....

It is extremely important not to miss the first few tire rotations at 7500 miles each if you want the tires to last. The frt tires wear down and rear tires have a tendency to scallop. Once they scallop, they will not correct if they go on the frt and the noise will sound like bearings going bad. Book says 7500. up to about 30k it is pretty important. after that, you really are not extending the tire life by much.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
And, in my case, 7500 miles is about as long as "not winter tires" season lasts, plus or minus a few hundred. So no "rotation" necessary, just remembering where to put them next time.
Nice. I drive at least 20K / year.

·
Registered
208 Posts
my gm dealer has me come in every 6 months for full service/tire rotations, as gm pay's for 2 full service/tire rotations per year for the first 2 years.
even though the volt's in general won't have that many miles on the ice,gm say's bring it in anyway
I just turned 11,000 total miles on my 2015 volt with 2,500 miles of them on ice
my dealer uses dexos1 semisynthetic oil in my volt and I haven't had the first problem with my volt.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I had to replace the factory tires at 78,000 km (48,500 mi)

The new ones (Nokian eNTYRE) are warrantied for 130,000 km with a requirement that they be rotated every 10,000 km. I bought them from Kal Tire, who offers free rotations and flat repairs (no flats yet) It's easy enough to remember to get them rotated every time 8 thousand comes up on the odometer, and obviously they have a record for warranty purposes. Only downside is that I've had 4-5 of the chrome caps fall off the lug nuts since the last rotation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Only downside is that I've had 4-5 of the chrome caps fall off the lug nuts since the last rotation.
Do you think frequent rotations are loosening lug nut caps?

What was your thinking on stopping the caps from loosening?

Or is this a shop problem...ie in your case Kal Tire is not following recommended procedures?

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Do you think frequent rotations are loosening lug nut caps?

What was your thinking on stopping the caps from loosening?

Or is this a shop problem...ie in your case Kal Tire is not following recommended procedures?
I rotate my own tires, following the owner manual's 7500 mile spec. I torque the lugs to the specified 100 ft-lb. I have found that some dealers/service centers over-torque which can damage the lug nuts as well as warp the rotors. They also sometimes fail to relearn the tire positions and I doubt many examine the tires for potential issues as closely as I do.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I took my Volt to the dealer for its 7500 mile service. And the service advisor insisted that there was no service needed to be done. I found that weird because doesn't the dealership get reimbursed directly from GM for this service?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I took my Volt to the dealer for its 7500 mile service. And the service advisor insisted that there was no service needed to be done. I found that weird because doesn't the dealership get reimbursed directly from GM for this service?
I guess you found an honest dealer that wasn't going to claim unnecessary work/fees just to make a few bucks.
I think that one's a keeper. (assuming they were saying it doesn't need an oil change vs others here have said they had it done repeatedly even though OLM said not necessary)
In Canada, tire rotations were not covered under the 2 year plan. Only oil changes.

At 7500 it still needs tire rotation, though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm still in my Cadillac Premium Care period, so I'm letting the dealership rotate them on their 7,500 mile schedule.

My other car is a 2004 VW Jetta 1.8t; I rotate the tires every time I change the oil, which is every 5,000 miles. It may seem excessive, but the motor shows no sign of slowing down at 211,000 miles, and I'm still on the original turbo. And rotating every 5,000 miles is a lot easier when you have an impact gun on a full-size air compressor.

--Chris

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Rotating tires should be done frequently or not at all. 7500 might be fine, but is on the long side (probably okay given long life tires).

The issue with going too long between rotations is if the front tires become worn and you put them on the rear it could take the car from understeering safely to an oversteering tendancy. With the ESC in the Volt it is probably not a huge deal, but should always have the best tires on the rear to avoid spinouts. Same reason you should always replace all 4 tires at the same time or put new tires at the rear.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Rotating tires should be done frequently or not at all. 7500 might be fine, but is on the long side (probably okay given long life tires).

The issue with going too long between rotations is if the front tires become worn and you put them on the rear it could take the car from understeering safely to an oversteering tendancy. With the ESC in the Volt it is probably not a huge deal, but should always have the best tires on the rear to avoid spinouts. Same reason you should always replace all 4 tires at the same time or put new tires at the rear.
Which was part of the reasoning the Ninja had for thinking about rotating the tires only once. Essentially driving 30k miles not rotating tires, then swapping the rear to the front and only buying two new ones next time.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
383 Posts
Which was part of the reasoning the Ninja had for thinking about rotating the tires only once. Essentially driving 30k miles not rotating tires, then swapping the rear to the front and only buying two new ones next time.
I may be a horrible car owner, but that's pretty much what I did on the old Insight for the last several years, always using the special Bridgestones that were OEM (nothing could come close to the RE-87s in terms of gas mileage, but they were otherwise pretty bad tires). LRR tires at high pressures, plus gentle acceleration and gentle regen stops equaled long tread life. As soon as the fronts wore out, I'd get two new ones for the rear and put the old rears up front. I never had a problem with the rears cupping.

I'll let the dealer rotate them for free, but I may do the same thing on the Volt. If I can find good LRR summer tires for Florida, I'll keep the OEM tires rotated so they wear out at the same time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts