GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first thread for me, so here it goes.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be off to the dealer to pick up my new Volt.

Here's some of the things I've learned over the years and will be doing .

When I get the phone car that the car is ready, I'll ask them if they can make sure the car has a full charge when I pick it up (I'll ask nicely)

1st. Never sign the paperwork until you've inspected the car. For me it will be making sure ACC is on the car (now easier thanks to the forum as I'll be able to tell just by walking up to the front.

2nd. I will be inspecting for underside damage, as this car rides low (also thanks to the forum for this heads up)

3rd. Matching the window sticker with what I ordered. As I'm the type of guy who will make them reorder until they get it right.

4th. Making sure the car has the update for android auto, though I hope it's already installed.The app already on phone and waiting!

5th. Check under trunk/hatch to make sure the air pump and charger are there. Hey missing stuff happened to one forum member, so better to be safe than sorry.

So folks, as to inspecting the car, can you think of anything else that I should check, or something you'd wish you did before picking up the car?

Now on to everyone's favourite, paperwork.

My salesperson got a few things wrong on my initial paperwork which needs to be corrected. He gave me the lower level rebate for the LT instead of the Premium. $11,517 vs $12,747 . Just incase you were wondering, the rebate is the Ontario Govt Electric Vehicle Incentive Program. It's also because of this rebate I went with the Chevy Volt over the Toyota Prius, with rebate factored in, they would cost around the same. I also went with the APA (APA.CA) and used their quote to buy the car. Which the salesman made a mistake on one of the options, so I'll get that corrected as well.

As to the other hard sells, they tried some when I first signed, so I'm not to worried about refusing again. Also the APA lets you send in your invoice for checking and will go to bat for you if something is wrong (a nice peice of mind).

So if anyone has anything to add about their experiences on dealer pick up or something I should look out for, let me know.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is the check list I made up for myself:

- Get dealer to help register with onstar (if bundled in Canada)
- Get Onstar to run a diagnostic check (if bundled in Canada)
- Car should be charged and fully fueled
- Inspect paint thoroughly
- Inspect fit and flushness of doors, lits and body panels.
- Check trunk parts:
- inflator
- sealant
- carrying bag for above
- tow hook
- Charge cable
- Cargo cover
- Check that floor mats are there and correct
- Check that all doors, including hood, open and close and are aligned properly
- Check that all remotes work properly
- Check tire pressure display
- Check A/C and heat
- Check seat and steering wheel heaters
- Check that charge port and fuel port open and close properly.
- Check operation of windows
- Check operation of lights
- Check operation of wipers and washers
- Check radio operation
- Check that all 4 tires are the same type

·
Registered
425 Posts
As mentioned above - get dealer to register with OnStar but also get them to do the XM registration and if you have factory installed nav, get them to ensure the XMTraffic trial is enabled. My dealer, GM and OnStar were absolutely great when picking up the vehicle but Sirius were an absolute pain ! took 3 or 4 attempts to actually get the trial and the traffic enabled.

I think i noticed in another thread that you said you ordered at City (Vic Park/Lawrence). Thats where I got mine and (at least) a couple of others on here also got theirs there too. I dealt with Ryan who was a straight shooter and the dealership is pretty awesome really. Its been in the shop 3 times since October. Once to deal with a couple of minor issues I noticed, once for the infotainment update and also for its 12500Km first service. With regards to the infotainment update, make sure ahead of time that its done. All dealerships in Toronto use the same 3rd party company who perform the updates so appointments are needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys and keep it coming, this is just what I'm looking for. I'll cut and paste just before I go and check off everything. Hopefully this will save some headaches down the road and make we a happy camper.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
In addition to all that I would ask they set the tires PSI to TWO pounds over what is recommended.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ask the salesman to double-check both key fobs before you get there, so that if one of them doesn't work they can get it replaced or reprogrammed before you arrive, so when you check both when picking up the car (add that to your list) you won't have to wait around or make a trip back to the dealer if there's a glitch.

We had a new owner on the Fusion forum a few years ago write about that experience, he ended up making a trip back to the dealer a day or two later, but good to ask the salesman to check well before you get there so you don't have to deal with it at delivery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was another whole thread on this back around the end of last year.
Easy to say, but without a link or key words it hard to find, so how about a link?

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump, this thread as I'm going to pick my volt up. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello.... How about checking that it drives good? Way to obvious to list on the check list. As it is a final pick up list.

Run the ICE in hold. Listen for wierd sounds.

This is the check list I made up for myself:

- Get dealer to help register with onstar (if bundled in Canada)
- Get Onstar to run a diagnostic check (if bundled in Canada)
- Car should be charged and fully fueled
- Inspect paint thoroughly
- Inspect fit and flushness of doors, lits and body panels.
- Check trunk parts:
- inflator
- sealant
- carrying bag for above
- tow hook
- Charge cable
- Cargo cover
- Check that floor mats are there and correct
- Check that all doors, including hood, open and close and are aligned properly
- Check that all remotes work properly
- Check tire pressure display
- Check A/C and heat
- Check seat and steering wheel heaters
- Check that charge port and fuel port open and close properly.
- Check operation of windows
- Check operation of lights
- Check operation of wipers and washers
- Check radio operation
- Check that all 4 tires are the same type

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This one is a prevent prior to arrival. Tell them to leave off the front license plate before they take a drill to your new baby. Unless you have it.
Good for some, but not for me. It's a must have in Ontairo.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
This is getting really detailed, but the car ships with plastic shipping spacers on the front springs (or metal bands to compress the springs) during transport. Removing these is part of the dealer prep work, but they can sometimes get left on. I've heard of a few stories of people with cars that rode harshly only to discover the spacers were sill in place. It's something I now check when doing the underbody inspection.

With imports, the port will apply touch-up paint to any damage that occurred during the shipping process. I assume the same happens at dealerships. We had a '03 Honda CR-V that was touched up. It wasn't until the first car wash that we notice overspray on the windshield trim. Also check that paint closely for swirl marks and other signs of dealer prep mistakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts