GM Volt Forum banner

Wheel Speed Sensor DIY repair

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  TheYonderGod 
Service Stabilitrak and Service Brake Assist error messages.
DTC C1226 and C0040, indicating RF wheel sensor problem.

Idiot me, tired from working 12 hour shifts, took it to the dealer and paid $150 diagnostic fee to find out what I could have gotten from Autozone for free.

Dealer claims they removed the RF wheel and inspected everything for damage and found nothing, so they quoted me $500 to replace it. Hmmm that's funny because I have aftermarket lug nuts and the key was still under everything in my center console. And then when I removed the wheel myself I instantly noticed that the bolt holding the WSS cable was halfway out. So either they took off the bolt and didn't put it back on all the way, or it was loose the whole time.
I put it back in all the way, cleared the codes, and they instantly came back. So sadly it wasn't that easy of a fix.

My next plan is to switch the left and right side cables and see if the codes change to the left side(once I get the OBDII tool I ordered)

But also I was thinking maybe it was loose and brake dust or something got inside the hole, could this mess it up? Should I just spray it out with compressed air?

I also saw some videos on youtube about testing the sensor with a multimeter so I will try that next.

Any other free/cheap ideas to test before I look into replacing the hub? (still a lot cheaper than $500 so I don't know wtf they're talking about)
Rock auto has one for less than $50 . $500 is a pretty good profit for less than an hour's work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.