GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I looked around on the forum and couldn't find anything specific to whether this failure would be a warranty item GM would fix as it is still under the 36/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty.

I believe this would be something they would fix because to my understanding, GM fixes effectively everything while under this bumper to bumper warranty i.e. Engine, Transmission / Transaxle, Front / Rear-wheel-drive components, Fuel delivery component, Engine cooling component, Heating and vehicle manufacturer-installed air conditioning components, Electrical, computer and audio components, Braking system components, Suspension (Front / Rear), Steering component, High-tech components, Seals and gaskets, and Safety components.

Problem is, I don't know if this is a pre-mature failure or just due to me driving on some of the recent poor roads around this beltway, lately. Any thoughts and experience with an item like this on this would be greatly appreciated. Would GM cover the replacement?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I hit a pothole and then my two tires on the right side of the vehicle made noises at certain speeds, between 50-65 mph and my average trip MPGe went down. I brought it to the dealer, and they told me that it is problem with the Volt gen 2 because the beads are plastic and easily deforms. They replaced two of my wheel bearings under warranty, at 42K miles, but my warranty is extended to 60K miles. After that my MPGe even improved, a little bit better than before the pothole incident.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hit a pothole and then my two tires on the right side of the vehicle made noises at certain speeds, between 50-65 mph and my average trip MPGe went down. I brought it to the dealer, and they told me that it is problem with the Volt gen 2 because the beads are plastic and easily deforms. They replaced two of my wheel bearings under warranty, at 42K miles, but my warranty is extended to 60K miles. After that my MPGe even improved, a little bit better than before the pothole incident.
Okay, thank you. That gives me a bit of piece of mind. Why in the hell would they use plastic bearings? Cost savings, I suppose. I'll bring it in soon and see what they say.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I THINK he means plastic beads in the tyre walls
Plastic bearings wouldn’t last more than 100 miles.... if that

Although if we go back to 1976 the Japanese used to use plastic bushings in the swing arms of the GT 750 watercooled two stroke triple .... and yes, they handled like ****e after 20K mikes !!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The wheel bearings should be covered under 3/36 B to B warranty unless the damage was caused by a road hazard or accident.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think you want to replace the word bead with cage. The ball bearings maintain separation by using a plastic cage. they Have been doing this for decades across all makes. The manufacturer sometimes changes without notice thinking that they aren't changing anything...until it is too late. GM probably doesn't make the bearing.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I think the wheel bearing is a weak point. Designed for a lighter car but used in a heavier one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheel bearings should be covered under 3/36 B to B warranty unless the damage was caused by a road hazard or accident.
Okay, that makes sense. I kinda thought that was the case. I have a new tire on one of the rear wheels because of a flat I got about a year ago. I hope they don't make any sort of bull excuse for that being the reason the bearing failed... I should note, the front left wheel bearing is the issue.

I think the wheel bearing is a weak point. Designed for a lighter car but used in a heavier one.
You're probably right I think the same thing regarding the suspension. While it is a very compliant ride, I think they just threw a higher spring rate springs on the car and kept the shocks/struts something that would come on a Cruze or Malibu.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Any manufacturing defect found within the 36MO/36K MILE B2B should be covered. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts