GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would be my first winter with the Volt (I got it last May) and I noticed the range declining as I use the heating more (even with preconditioning with my level 2).

The temp yesterday was around 4 C (39.2 Fahrenheit) and I got 42km (26 Miles) on a full charge :(

the tire presure is fine. therefore im assuming this is expected.

My Question to you is what was your worst Battery Range? and during what tempreature?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My absolute worst mileage was with a fully loaded (4 passengers) Volt on a 105+ F day with A/C blasting on comfort, up and down hilly roads with traffic and Sport mode hard accelerations and fast stops (showing off), was 25 miles o_O

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I agree with the showing off part, (although thats NOT what I did yesterday that caused the bad mileage) that Sport Mode option is like candy I cant keep my hands off of it :S

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I woke up this morning to temps right at 40F and (no preconditioning) headed to work (with the heat on Eco). I took a slightly (as in 0.3 miles) longer route to work but my kWh usage was 27 to 40% higher than normal over 18.6 miles - about 5.6 kWh vs my usual 4 to 4.4. My estimated remaining miles showed 19 when I pulled into the parking lot here at work vs my usual 28/29 or so. Please note my estimate is USUALLY a bit optimistic after my morning drive since my mornings have been in the high 60's and the afternoons were warm (I was using juice to COOL the battery in the afternoons). Now I am expecting (or is that HOPING) the opposite is true with the morning commute suffering due to the cold and the afternoon commute being the "good commute". Having said all that, I think the juice used to warm the battery itself might be as big a factor (or bigger) as the juice we use to warm us!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I haven't been through a winter yet, and the temps really haven't dropped much yet in NH. That being said, I do a lot of highway driving, so my range is typically around 35 miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This morning it was 4 deg C and raining and I got 41 km mostly highway doing 105 to 110 km/h.
With the heat on Eco auto at 21 deg C my windows would fog up so I was using the front and rear defrosters a few times. Also had the heated seat on and stereo. Used almost 1L of fuel on my 55km commute. Saying that, I'm on the same tank of gas since February. Still have 1/4 tank. I am getting 9.7kwh until the engine fires up. Last year I saw 10.4 kwh regularly.
When the weather was warmer and dryer I would easily get 60 to 70km per charge.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
As an aside, there were a lot fewer Volt owners out there last Fall and Winter so I expect we'll see a flood of these types of "cold weather range" questions as we head into the cooler weather this year. I bought mine in July in the 100F+ days and saw mid to high 30's on my range (36 to 38). I've been enjoying 40+ range since the last week of September (even hit 47.1 miles one day) with the milder temps, but now it looks like I'm headed back to the 30's...just don't know how far yet.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have gotten up to 42 miles of projected range, but it has settled in at 41 lately. My commute to work is 9 miles and I can usually make it there using only 6 miles of range; arriving at work with about 35 miles of range left. Today it was the first cool day in South Florida and the same 9 miles of low-speed local road driving "cost" me about 12 miles of range (made it work with 29 miles left). No other changes aside from the outside temp being about 10F cooler. Odd, huh? Some days I can drive 3 miles for every mile of "range" estimate, other days it's the other way around - 3 miles of range for 1 mile of driving.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My low is 32 miles. about 20F outside, but pre-heated in my garage before I left, and left the heat set quite low (65 I think).

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Already a thread on this
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-miles-you-can-get-on-a-full-charge-!-!/page2

For me I was 16 miles.. mostly at 100mph on steep hills with heat blasting..

My usual winter range was 33-35 if I did highway (75/65 segments) and 36-42 if I took side streets. Rarely use heat, just the seats.
Almost never preconditioned (since I almost always made the commute with energy left). Temps in Col. Springs can vary wildly from -5F low to 55F high in the same week Definitely had many ERDTLT events last winter.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Already a thread on this
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-miles-you-can-get-on-a-full-charge-!-!/page2

For me I was 16 miles.. mostly at 100mph on steep hills with heat blasting..

My usual winter range was 33-35 if I did highway (75/65 segments) and 36-42 if I took side streets. Rarely use heat, just the seats.
Almost never preconditioned (since I almost always made the commute with energy left). Temps in Col. Springs can vary wildly from -5F low to 55F high in the same week Definitely had many ERDTLT events last winter.
Numbers like that could get you on Fox News!

My worst is around 37, but then I don't try for worst usually I work to maximize not minimize.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Temps here in St Louis have dipped into the low 30's in the morning for my 11 mile commute to work, under ideal conditions I'd use 1.8 to 1.9 kWh, I'm now using 2.4 to 2.7 kWh.

So while my daily range has hovered at 45 miles for months, I fear/believe my winter range will drop into the mid 20's. I was hoping I'd be able to get to/from work on all battery at 22 miles, but I have learned that the ICE will cycle on/off at around 25 degrees. So I guess I just need to accept the fact I'm going to use gas even through the battery range could/should take me round trip.

BUMMER. I hate using fuel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
In cold weather I am lucky to get 20 miles and that is with the engine starting due to cold weather. I sure wish I had the hold function as that would allow me to use gas to warm the car on the way to town then use electric in town. Heat from gas engine is normally wasted, the electric is valuable propulsion power. Our commutes are always 60 or more miles so the hold would be a big help.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just got 28 miles AER with rain, temperature in the 40's F, ECO mode, and thermostat at 75 F. My experience last winter is that I can improve that to 33 or so just by preconditioning, using "fan only" heat mode, using the heated seats, and turning on the defroster momentarily only as needed. The heater uses so much electrical power that I generally only use it when the ICE is running or when I am close to home and do not care about my AER.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine has always been consistent at between 35-37. I have not gone on any long freeway trips yet where i can try to change my driving (one way or the other). So far just to work and driving around town for errands.

·
Registered
57 Posts
32.4 miles (10.4 kWh) the second month owning the car, middle of January in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
28 miles was my worse with 108 degree temps , high speeds and other extremes like sitting in traffic and re-cooling a hot car .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts