GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about how other Volt owners view prepping, self-reliance, etc. Do you have a plan for what you would do if the SHTF (crap hit the fan)? This could be any sort of economic, natural, political (no, having a black President doesn't count), or supply chain disaster. You obviously don't have to share any specific details you aren't comfortable with.

For me, my plan is simple: Grab my bug-out bag and essentials, load them into my car, and take the back roads 500 miles North to be with my family. Where they live is, essentially, an isolated, autonomous community. If I have to abandon my car along the way, I can finish the trek in a week or so on foot. Less than 1,000 people in a 5,000 square mile area is fairly enticing if things go bad.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
My wife made what I think is a hilarious joke apropos to your question. A couple of weeks ago we were in Portal, Arizona for some outdoor activities. While there we saw some pickups with gun racks and so forth. When we asked about this we were told that the area did attract survivalists.

My wife's joke was that Kim Jong-un would fire a rocket at Los Angeles and, given North Korean rocketry, the missile would overshoot and land in Portal, obliterating the survivalists. Lest you think North Korea has all its marbles, check out this music video: It's mesmerizing bizarre, especially if you like Vivaldi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERLaZ488I6k

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm curious about how other Volt owners view prepping, self-reliance, etc. Do you have a plan for what you would do if the SHTF (crap hit the fan)? This could be any sort of economic, natural, political (no, having a black President doesn't count), or supply chain disaster. You obviously don't have to share any specific details you aren't comfortable with.

For me, my plan is simple: Grab my bug-out bag and essentials, load them into my car, and take the back roads 500 miles North to be with my family. Where they live is, essentially, an isolated, autonomous community. If I have to abandon my car along the way, I can finish the trek in a week or so on foot. Less than 1,000 people in a 5,000 square mile area is fairly enticing if things go bad.
Good luck getting even a few miles from home if the crap does really hit the fan bad enough to have to leave town. Even a controlled evacuation of the greater LA area would take days and be total chaos. Image what a panic would bring.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I plan on staying home and helping my community. Running would be both cowardly and selfish.

In the great depression, we saw millions of people doing the best they could for others by setting up soup kitchens and housing transient's. My Grandfather told of the kindness of strangers as he migrated from Arkansas to LA to find work. More recently, the events of September 11 brought out the best in New Yorker's and American's everywhere. The earthquakes of San Fransisco had human chains of bucket bridges fighting the fires and ordinary citizens helping free trapped motorists. America is the most charitable nation on earth. What would change that?

Yes, we've had riots and civil unrest, but those were mostly exclamations of frustration turned inward at oppressive power structures like abusive police. When external events hit us, America responds with amazing good. I'll stand and help, not cower in fear or go running with my tail between my legs.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck getting even a few miles from home if the crap does really hit the fan bad enough to have to leave town. Even a controlled evacuation of the greater LA area would take days and be total chaos. Image what a panic would bring.
Luckily, I have a 50-mile head start, and I know at least four alternate routes out of Southern California. Even still, I'm fully prepared to make the 500-mile trip on foot.

America is the most charitable nation on earth. What would change that?
Unfortunately, that hasn't been consistent. Hurricane Katrina was a good example of that. For me, I'm not running from my community. Where I am now is essentially just where I work. My family and friends are mostly up North, and I could make a bigger impact in that community than I could down here.

·
8,680 Posts
I'm somewhat prepared to sustain myself without community services for a fair amount of time, and gradually improving that state. I don't have plans or resources to bug out to anywhere at this point - depending on the details I'd really rather help the community rebuild, if that's practical.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think self-reliance is important and it is wise to consider the things that can go wrong. My plan is to stay put in a crisis. A key part of my plan is keeping close contact with my neighbors along with their emergency contact numbers. This is organized through our homeowner's association. I also have a 9KW solar panel system along with a battery backup. These are sufficient to maintain my home and my Volt. I keep a little better than a month worth of supplies but this should be a little more.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
If you want to have an idea what things might be like (mountain boy) read this book: One-Second-After-William-Forstchen

It's fiction but it will still give you a good idea of what can happen. This is not a book for the faint of heart or the overly paranoid types.

Stock up on dry food, potable water as much as possible, and barter items. Things like toilet paper might be worth something but ammunition will be more valuable than diamonds. Apparently .22 cal will bring the best bang for your trading buck.

If you need to bug out a real 4X4 off-road capable vehicle is the only way. In an EMP attack most of them will be no good anyway, but short of that you can skip the jammed roads.

Obviously being armed is a good idea, but for Pete's sake learn how to shoot - don't just have a gun. Hit what you aim at. It's not just for protection - it might be the only tool you have to feed yourself.

What am I doing? Keeping my mouth shut about what I might or might not have. Never tell people you have things they might want to take from you by force.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
As opposed to mister Dave, I'm not afraid to share. It's not like anybody (except for maybe mister dave who has super sleuthing Google skills) can find me. I don't have to escape any big city since I already live in the country on 24 acres. I have my own well. If power goes out I've got a diesel tractor and a 12 kw 3 point hitch generator to keep the water pump going, as well as any electricity needed for the house. When h1n1 was all the scare, we stocked up a pantry, survivalist gear, latex gloves, etc. and we recently bought a gear zero combo rechargeable flashlight, solar panel, hand crank with USB port to power portable electric devices. My daughter calls it the zombie apocalypse flashlight. With camping gear in the basement and fishing poles, plus chickens in the farm, we won't starve.

Finally, if we need to make an escape, jammed highways won't be a problem at all. Just look at the IL farmland, there's a grid of country roads almost every mile. Plus we could decide to grow stuff if absolutely needed. We already have apples, peaches and aparagus, but have had tomato lettuce, corn, green beans in past years.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It's not like anybody (except for maybe mister dave who has super sleuthing Google skills) can find me.
I'm coming for your horses. You can have my 4X4 if you want it.

P.S.

I'm not afraid to share.
It's not about fear, it's about smart policy. I don't tell people what my assets are, regardless of what type of assets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would prefer to get to my farming relatives in the midwest, but I would have to get through or around too many large cities on the way, depending on the route - Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Wheeling, Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Dayton - I keep enough fuel on hand to make the trip without relying on gas stations being open, but we've all seen movies with robbers, roadblocks, and the like. My best bet will be to shelter in place in the PA mountains where we have a very close knit (even clannish) community that is heavily armed and of a largely self-reliant but help one another mindset. There are some folks with small armories specifically for the purpose of helping arm the community in an emergency. Everyone has wells, and most have generators due to the frequent power outages during storms. The most pressing issue is water quality, as the aquifer is contaminated by malfunctioning septic systems, so we will need our standby power systems to run our UV treatment systems. I have thought through things perhaps bit much - I guess its a result of having grown up during the "Oh No! Reagan's gonna push the button!!!" period of our history.....

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I'm coming for your horses. You can have my 4X4 if you want it.
A Silverado in exchange for 3 horses sounds like a deal. Bring the truck by and you can have the horses/ The Silverado only eats Dino juice. You have to feed the horses whether you ride them or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wakeup moment on being prepared was Hurricane Katrina. We were without electricity for four weeks and the response of state and local officials was very poor. Disasters like this can happen anywhere.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I have thought through things perhaps bit much - I guess its a result of having grown up during the "Oh No! Reagan's gonna push the button!!!" period of our history.....
Or.."Oh no! what's Donald going to do next!!!"

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
A Silverado in exchange for 3 horses sounds like a deal. Bring the truck by and you can have the horses/ The Silverado only eats Dino juice. You have to feed the horses whether you ride them or not.
They can forage, and if and when I can't ride them anymore I'll have steaks for a long time. In the meantime they need roads even less than a 4X4 and they're not likely to have a flat tire if I don't run them hard.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Should the worse come the best way to be ready is to be 50 or so lbs overweight. A pound of fat has about 3000 calories which should be good for about 3 days. 50 pounds should be good for 150 days and then some. Maybe a 6 months supply around your belt, will not go bad, can't really be stolen and you will be laughing you ass off as the skinny folks drop dead. 6 months gives you time to put in a crop and or walk to somewhere things are better. This solution is built into mammalian DNA. Whales do it, polar bears do it, and we did it 10k years ago on the plains of Africa when the SHTF. So take another look at America's obesity problem. We are becoming a notion of ultimate survivalists.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Should the worse come the best way to be ready is to be 50 or so lbs overweight. A pound of fat has about 3000 calories which should be good for about 3 days. 50 pounds should be good for 150 days and then some. Maybe a 6 months supply around your belt, will not go bad, can't really be stolen and you will be laughing you ass off as the skinny folks drop dead. 6 months gives you time to put in a crop and or walk to somewhere things are better. This solution is built into mammalian DNA. Whales do it, polar bears do it, and we did it 10k years ago on the plains of Africa when the SHTF. So take another look at America's obesity problem. We are becoming a notion of ultimate survivalists.
You're just looking for any excuse to down that Big Mac or Monster Burger, aren't you?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am not looking the excuse....5' 9'' 165lbs.....I am making the excuse for those who want to go for it. It does make about as much sense as some of the stuff survivalists are doing....maybe more.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A 5'10" 180 pound person with 10% body fat (still well below the national average) has enough excess fat to last a month, and that person is more likely to be able to evade threats and track down more food than a 5'10" 280 pound person. Moving the extra weight requires extra energy, and though the average American diet does provide copious amounts of macro nutrients, the average American is actually starving due to the deficit of micro nutrients. A person might be carrying 100 extra pounds of energy, but if he/she isn't intaking the proper vitamins and minerals, he/she won't last long enough to burn through that extra energy.

They can forage, and if and when I can't ride them anymore I'll have steaks for a long time. In the meantime they need roads even less than a 4X4 and they're not likely to have a flat tire if I don't run them hard.
If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steaks.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts