GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have have to say that I am pretty proud of this. :]

55.5 Miles on a Charge and with .2+ left on the battery!

This is a round trip to and from work. It is flat the whole way (or as flat as a it can be) so no downhill driving. No wind. Just driving.

My "miles left" said I could go 3 more miles. I might have been able to get to 60, but probably would have gotten to 58-59. :]

How I did it is I just drive 50 mph. Windows up. Climate is set to fan only. There is probably 6 miles of town driving (30-35 mph).

Other than that, cruise control the whole way.

Vroo... wait... *silent vroooom*

So how far have you gotten on a single charge (w/o recharging)?

Zil

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I have have to say that I am pretty proud of this. :]

55.5 Miles on a Charge and with .2+ left on the battery!

This is a round trip to and from work. It is flat the whole way (or as flat as a it can be) so no downhill driving. No wind. Just driving.

My "miles left" said I could go 3 more miles. I might have been able to get to 60, but probably would have gotten to 58-59. :]

How I did it is I just drive 50 mph. Windows up. Climate is set to fan only. There is probably 6 miles of town driving (30-35 mph).

Other than that, cruise control the whole way.

Vroo... wait... *silent vroooom*

So how far have you gotten on a single charge (w/o recharging)?

Zil
My personal record is 58 miles.

The overall record is 81 miles: http://insideevs.com/far-can-chevrolet-volt-really-go-ev-mode-81-8-miles/

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Early in my Volt ownership it was a game and I would always be trying to get MAX range from a charge w/o driving ILLEGALLY and you can see the results in this photo

This was with my 2013.

I haven't tried to beat this but based on my driving style and topography here in southern Illinois (flat land) I could easily beat that. I may try one last time before my OnStar service ends so I can get it officially recorded on VoltStats.

But I routinely get 50 miles day after day weather permitting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My best so far has been 52 electric miles. I always hope to beat that but here in central Florida, I just can't drive home from work without the air conditioner at least on eco. I've also noticed that it's so hot on the PM drive home that the air on eco draws even more juice to keep the battery cool.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
55 miles from a EPA rated 38 mile EV is a 44% improvement. So the 2016 Volt which may be EPA rated at 50 miles can reach and pass 72 miles. I will bet now (July 2nd) that by December 31st, some 2016 Volt owner will pass 75 miles of range!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
My best so far has been 52 electric miles. I always hope to beat that but here in central Florida, I just can't drive home from work without the air conditioner at least on eco. I've also noticed that it's so hot on the PM drive home that the air on eco draws even more juice to keep the battery cool.
Try the drive at night hours when the air s cooler.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
81.8 miles. Of course not realistic driving. I drove around FedEx field in Landover, MD at an average of 23 mph and never stopped (OK, I stopped once because of a suspicious police officer). Tires were at 60 PSI as well. Spent about half the time in neutral as there was a small hill around the ring road.

Here is a chart of the progress:

This is the elevation profile for the road.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
some 2016 Volt owner will pass 75 miles of range!
I have no doubt someone will eclipse 100 miles in a '16 Volt.

Looking at you, ari_c. :p

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have no doubt someone will eclipse 100 miles in a '16 Volt.

Looking at you, ari_c. :p
Won't be me unless someone loans me a 2016 Volt. What do you say Volt Social Media team, can you hook me up with one for an afternoon?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mine was just over 60. PERFECT weather and I had to drive that far, I normally don't drive anywhere near that far in a day. 35 - 45 MPH (typically a few over speed limit) and unusually light traffic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
55 miles from a EPA rated 38 mile EV is a 44% improvement. So the 2016 Volt which may be EPA rated at 50 miles can reach and pass 72 miles. I will bet now (July 2nd) that by December 31st, some 2016 Volt owner will pass 75 miles of range!
In these northern states I dont think it is going to happen with the weather those in California have a few more months to refine technique and better temps.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My max was 65 miles, 2013 and cool weather.

I was driving on real roads and had the opportunity to drive slower than normal (no traffic)

I also was able to coast to stops in various places.

I have only been over 60 miles twice so far, not really sure how I have done it each time either.

Now when I used my unsafe 12v range extended it appeared that over 60 miles would be childs play but I haven't worked out how to charge it onboard (yet)
I would like to loose the 12v lead battery but it appears no dice so far.

Ah well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've managed to get 62 miles on two occasions. Both times were on deserted country roads at stupidly low speeds. Had plenty of time on my hands before meeting my son, so science experiment. Many times 50-55 miles at speeds up to 50-55 mph in urban driving. I love these cars!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
49 miles on my early 2012.
77 km., 49 miles, on mine, without any special effort, but ideal conditions. Straight flat road, warm spring day, fan only, cruising at 105 km/h. Only once, though. 70 km is more usual.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
2014 Volt, early manufactured, the best I recall was 52 miles @ about 11 KWH. This was driving between 35-55 mph during summer. On trips sometimes the display will indicate as much as 60 miles on a charge but that is due to regen made from the gas engine and the KW meter will indicate between 12&13 KWH used.

Currently range indicated after a full charge is 47 miles, normal driving, 80% HWY, 20% City...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
60.0 miles.

MY2013, mostly 35-40 mph, accelerating/decelerating slowly.

That was kind of a $#!ts-and-giggles attempt to see how far I could go on a charge. But I was still able to top 55 miles a bunch of other times with more "normal" (but still attentively efficient) driving.

But now I haven't been able to get even 50 miles on a charge in almost a year since switching my tires. :(

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
And here I thought my 52-54 miles on a charge was pretty good.I have to many hills on my commute to break over 55.
That 141 is amazing,,tell us how.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts