GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to this forum and was trying to find a "my volt's average fuel economy is..." thread. And if there is one, why isn't it a sticky?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
We can't even get people to post in their signature the model year of Volt they have (hint), but you want a sticky that has people posting and updating their lifetime MPG number? :) If you want to see some stats go over to Voltstats.net

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
What do you mean by "MPG"?
Do you mean in Charge Sustaining mode only? If so I get around 42 mpg at 63 mph. 65 mph and I get around 40-41 mpg and anything over that the mpg gets worse in a hurry.
Do you mean mpg overall? I get around 760 mpg, plus the $18 worth of electricity I use every month. I have used about 32 gallons of gas in 35 months.
2013MY Volt Cyber Grey

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Hello, new to this forum and was trying to find a "my volt's average fuel economy is..." thread. And if there is one, why isn't it a sticky?
Or, if you want a simple answer, VoltStats has one.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Maybe there are few people here who think in terms of miles per gallon, since most of us avoid using gallons most of the time anyway. It is more about all electric range.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I second that. I'm currently at "250+ MPG" on my Volt, but that's because I've gone 500+ miles on less than 1 gallon of gas, over several 50-mile day commutes. That figure would be much different if I did 500+ miles all in one day.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
VoltStats may have what you want. My display has been pegged at 250 MPG since my first week of ownership........ BTW I've only used 70 gallons of gas and have driven over 23K miles in 32 months of ownership.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Why not a sticky? Mostly because we generally don't care about mpg since Volt is mostly an EV. As mentioned, VoltStats contains OnStar data showing mpg stuff. There is no reason to manually track data that is automated.

Once mpg exceeds 100, it becomes less meaningful. If you drive a month or months before buying 8gal of gas, total gallons is pretty much meaningless as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
One useful trick that some may not know about:
If you change from Imperial to Metric on your dashboard preferences (Gen 1 at least), your center console will then display lifetime L/100km efficiency. Divide 235 by that displayed number to get lifetime mpg. Does not require the use of voltstats.

Edit: Obviously, this is only useful if your lifetime mpg is greater than 250 :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Fuel economy is related to how the fuel is used. The Volt is an electric car.

The primary task of the Volt’s gas engine is to generate electricity. The fuel consumption rate of a gas powered generator is related to the power load. This generator may, at times, power an electric traction motor and top off a battery that is powering a heating or cooling system. The power consumption of the electric motor is related to multiple factors, including the car’s speed.

Trying to relate the fuel consumption rate of a gas generator mounted under a car’s hood to the distance the car travels while the generator is generating electricity is a complex issue. Trying to compare the "gas mileage" of a gas-generator-powered electric car to the gas mileage of an ICE car is, too.

... especially when "mpg" is casually used to mean either MPG (total electric and gas miles / total gas used) or MPGcs (total gas miles / total gas used).

As for our Volt’s average electric fuel economy, it’s largely an unknown, approximate at best. We are told the "kWh Used" number on the usage screen is a calculated, not a measured, number (with the implication that it’s not as accurate as the Gas Used number). No data is displayed or captured that tracks trip or lifetime electric mileage (electric miles/ kWh Used). Tracking your personal achievements must be done by hand using the display screen’s "kWh Used since last full charge" numbers.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
YOU WANT NUMBERS?

:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts