GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that the $1000 CARB state incentive expires tomorrow (Aug 1, 2017). Based on past experience, anyone have a guess what the next round of incentive(s) may be for 2017 models? E.g., would GM extend the incentive to all states?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I notice that the $1000 CARB state incentive expires tomorrow (Aug 1, 2017). Based on past experience, anyone have a guess what the next round of incentive(s) may be for 2017 models? E.g., would GM extend the incentive to all states?
I don't understand how the CARB state program works . When I bought my 2012 Volt , they gave me a check for $1500 because it was not CARB . Later , I researched the program and they mentioned CARB vehicles would not cost extra .

How is it that they now give extra money for having the additional emissions equipment ?

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I don't understand how the CARB state program works . When I bought my 2012 Volt , they gave me a check for $1500 because it was not CARB . Later , I researched the program and they mentioned CARB vehicles would not cost extra .

How is it that they now give extra money for having the additional emissions equipment ?
I don't think volts in carb states have additional equipment. It's just it's emmisions are low enough to qualify. It's the other cars that need extra equipment to qualify, for example, my daughter's Subaru had a PZEV sticker on it which means they added something to make it a partially zero emissions vehicle. When we bought it we had a choice of a PZEV and a non PZEV version. So GM is giving higher rebates on the volt to make up for how many higher emitting trucks and suv's they are selling to help reduce their overall footprint.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

GM (and every other car manufacturer) receives ZEV credits for sales in CA, along with the 10 other states that have fully adopted CA's emissions standards outlined by CARB. Those ZEV credits are worth $$$$ to GM, since there is a $5k penalty for each ZEV credit a manufacturer is short. So in order to entice sales and grab ZEV credits, GM offers extra incentives in the 11 CARB states. A sale in a non-CARB state is worth 0 ZEV credits.

That is why there is a $1k consumer cash rebate (or an extra $2,250 lease cash incentive) offered only in the 11 CARB states: GM can offset those incentives by the ZEV credits each Volt brings in.

Sucks if you live in a non-CARB state. Automatically makes a Volt purchase $1k more expensive, or a lease ~$63/month more pricey.

On a related note, incentives will likely not get any worse in Aug, and will probably improve: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/business/why-monthly-auto-sales-numbers-may-not-be-what-they-seem.html?_r=0

·
Registered
118 Posts
Now that 2017 Volts are sold nationally and there are many more of them in inventory and on dealers lots I would assume GM WILL offer the 20% again on 2017s anywhere between Labor Day and year end (based on many years of past experience and "conditioning" by manufacturers incentives).
Life is TIMING...so good things will come to those who wait :)
We also expect California to approve the green HOV stickers and fund the State $1500 rebate...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
GM (and every other car manufacturer) receives ZEV credits for sales in CA, along with the 10 other states that have fully adopted CA's emissions standards outlined by CARB. Those ZEV credits are worth $$$$ to GM, since there is a $5k penalty for each ZEV credit a manufacturer is short. So in order to entice sales and grab ZEV credits, GM offers extra incentives in the 11 CARB states. A sale in a non-CARB state is worth 0 ZEV credits.

That is why there is a $1k consumer cash rebate (or an extra $2,250 lease cash incentive) offered only in the 11 CARB states: GM can offset those incentives by the ZEV credits each Volt brings in.

Sucks if you live in a non-CARB state. Automatically makes a Volt purchase $1k more expensive, or a lease ~$63/month more pricey.

On a related note, incentives will likely not get any worse in Aug, and will probably improve: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/business/why-monthly-auto-sales-numbers-may-not-be-what-they-seem.html?_r=0
In 2012 they gave me a check for $1500 for non carb . We also have much lower electricity prices than the left coast .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts