GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2014 with 59k miles that is doing very well. I don't have a reason to think there are any problems.
Since I am coming up on the end of the motive battery warranty, I would like to determine the battery's health.
I have searched this forum for OBD II diagnostic tools, and there is a lot of outdated information. So here are my questions.

1. Does this idea even make sense. Even if I find that some groups/cells are "bad" will GM replace the bad parts under the 8 yr/100k mile warranty?
Some other warranties have "outs" that will allow for failures "within limits". Does anyone have experience with GM in this area?

2. Are the diagnostics tools all OBD II? I am nervous about connecting to the OBD II port. I have a ScanGauge, which is a very conventional
scan tool. The two times I connected it, the displays and the car went nuts, went into reduced propulsion mode, had weird displays etc. The
car got over both incidents, but it seemed to be telling me, hands off the port.

3. What are the best diagnostic tools? I don't want anything bootlegged or pirated. Mainly, I want to be able to diagnose motive battery health.

4. I will be using Apple, if the diagnostic tool uses apps.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wish I could scoop up Volts from all the owners who are getting uneasy about their batteries. I’d have my pick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! My question has nothing really to do with being uneasy about the battery. It's being uneasy about the end of warranty.
But, make me an offer....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at their website and facebook, and the information displayed by MyGreenVolt looks rather vague. I see green graphs and voltages. How does this provide an indication of battery health?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I looked at their website and facebook, and the information displayed by MyGreenVolt looks rather vague. I see green graphs and voltages. How does this provide an indication of battery health?
There is no direct indicator of battery health. You have to evaluate the data, graphs and voltage differences the app provides during different driving scenarios and make an educated guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 9 of 9 Posts