GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing a sanity check here... Whenever my Volt's been sitting for awhile (15mins?), and I go to unlock one of the doors (side or hatch) I hear a ultra-quick series of clicks coming out of the rear of the car (driver's side). It's usually accompanied by a delay in unlocking the door; for example, the rear hatch. Subsequent locks/ unlocks are fast and don't come with any clicks... that is, unless I let the car sit for awhile again.

I'm assuming this happens to you guys and gals too. Any idea what is it?

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
I have not hear this, but will test it out.

·
4,852 Posts
Is your car plugged in? If it is, you may be hearing the relays turning on to take power from the EVSE as the headlights and other systems wake up. If it's not, it may be similar relays to provide power to the DC-DC converter back there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the same sound you are describing. It's been like that since the day I picked it up. I just assumed it was relays.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not hear this, but will test it out.
Do you ever experience a delay in unlocking/ opening your hatch door? It's usually a 1-2 second wait for me the first time around.

Is your car plugged in? If it is, you may be hearing the relays turning on to take power from the EVSE as the headlights and other systems wake up. If it's not, it may be similar relays to provide power to the DC-DC converter back there.
It happens in both situations: plugged and unplugged.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can't say what it is, but I can reproduce then sound by hitting to passive entry buttons on the door handle without having the key fob in range. Seems like a normal behavior, so I haven't given it much thought.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Do you ever experience a delay in unlocking/ opening your hatch door? It's usually a 1-2 second wait for me the first time around.

It happens in both situations: plugged and unplugged.
Same here. It always takes a second or two for the car to wake up if I try to open the hatch first. I think it only happens if the car is locked. If the doors are unlocked then the hatch will open at first touch.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't say what it is, but I can reproduce then sound by hitting to passive entry buttons on the door handle without having the key fob in range. Seems like a normal behavior, so I haven't given it much thought.
Ok great. Thanks for replicating this. I can only assume that it's normal behavior and nothing to be concerned about. Still, I curious to better understand what it is. Maybe the relays that ClarksonCote references?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Interestingly, the 2013 Malibu I had a loaner did exactly the same thing. I heard the same relay-like clicking when opening doors.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Doesn't happen on my 2011. Based on the above, I'd say it's related to the passive unlock system which was not available on MY 2011.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting... as I was walking to my Volt in a parking lot, I heard another car make the same noise... a BMW SUV. It sounds like a really brief snake rattle. Steverino, you are probably right on target if this SUV and key were trying to validate each other. Strange thing is that I don't have passive unlocking enabled; I manually unlock my car with the push of the button, but it does autolock as I walk away. Also, I'm wondering about the future: will I hear a chorus or continuous line of "rattles" as I walk passed a line of parked cars??? :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yup, it is the passive unlock system energizing. My caddy makes the same noise.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Doesn't happen on my 2011. Based on the above, I'd say it's related to the passive unlock system which was not available on MY 2011.
Interesting again. It does happen on my 2011. In fact, both of mine do it. And neither one has passive locking, and neither did the 2013 Malibu loaner. Unless I'm referring to the wrong sound; when I open the door (was unlocked to begin with), I hear a bzzzt that sounds like several relays clattering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts