GM Volt Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Probably very "Rivian-like", but yea expensive. I think an AWD EV version of the Ford Flex would be
popular. Very practical box-like shape. Different strokes for different folks......it good that we are finally getting some
choices.
Not very aerodynamic for an EV. Ford didn't choose the Flex or Fusion names for their first EV because those name plates never sold well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Just saw the specs on the new Jeep Wrangler PHEV. Disappointing -- was really hoping that could be it. Only 21 miles of range!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Haven't seen one in the wild yet. Considering cross shopping with the EUV, but looks like the Mach E has it beat on room and I need to fit kids in the back. They are listing a bunch of base model ones around here for 42K, which isn't terrible if your state gives you incentives on EVs + federal tax credit.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I won’t be getting an EV that requires me to swipe a touch screen to shift from Reverse to Drive!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well just thought I would come back and conclude this thread -- after much hand-wringing went with a base Shadow Black Mach E.

Competitors were the Rav 4 Prime, Bolt EV/EUV, Id.4, and, oddly, the Wrangler PHEV (my commuting pattern changed so the small miles less an issue).

Both Rav 4 + Wrangler PHEV were too much work to get, at least around here. But also the Mach E actually offered the best value for its size w/ state+federal rebates on its base (zero-options) trim level--adaptive cruise, "leather (something)", blind spot monitoring, park assist, lane keep, auto-braking, a decent stereo, power drivers seat w/lumbar, some cool "puddle lamps," at night, auto-headlights, and a gazillion personalization options on the mammoth screen. Of course, it still has steering controls and a few actual buttons--thankfully. No heated seats or steering wheel, though, on the bottom barrel base. If I miss it, my dealer will install it aftermarket (for a fee). Ask me in December.

Bolt EV/EUV was simply too small with kids--although also cheaper obviously and still an attractive value--especially the higher trim. Really like the new design, although still puzzled by the lack of "Frunk."

The I.D. 4 was a few thousand more just to get leather seats and some other goodies. It was definitely equal on space, despite the lack of frunk because more size in the hatch area.

I've only had it a few days, but I'll give Ford credit for their first dedicated BEV -- it's a real solid entry. It offers so many different driving customizations that I was able to customize a "Volt-Like" experience with regen and steering feel, making it easier for me to rely on my old habits of driving in L. MISS the paddle though, as I used it often. If you want to brake the car, they offer a "one pedal" driving mode that is quite aggressive and will absolutely bring you to a complete stop fairly rapidly. However, I'm so accustomed to the medium regen of the Volt series, that I just settled on my comfort level and will use the breaks for a complete stop.

Finally, it's just a da** nice looking vehicle. Sporty "enough" yet still quite spacious and perfect for a family of four. Checked a lot of boxes. Very pleased and surprisingly affordable--at least a base model! Higher trim levels get quite pricey, especially the GT. Will miss being more engaged on this board, but GM made that call unfortunately for those of us who started down this electron road with a 1st Gen Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Congratulations! The Mach E is a great car and was named EV car of the year by Car and Driver. When I got rid of my Volt I thought about a Mach E but the timing didn't work out, and I went with a Polestar 2. I miss the paddle too but have gotten used to OPD since I can come to a complete stop.

The Volt was really a gateway drug that made me appreciate how good EV driving was, and how irrelevant the concept of range anxiety is that the media can't seem to give up on.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Just bought a Ice Blue Metallic 2022 Bolt LT2 (replacing the 2012 Volt that was starting to show problems), holding onto the wife's 2011 Volt (only has 20K miles on it). Loving the Bolt, range is acceptable, 1 hour DC fast charge time is acceptable but could be better, but as often as I will use the Fast Charge feature it is good enough. Like the interior and the feature set I am just scratching the surface. The only PITA will be the upgrade to the home ESEV that I anticipate is going to happen in a month or so.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I test drove the Bolt EUV and absolutely hated it. While I like the looks of the car it just felt a bit wobbly to me. Not that the Bolt EV is sporty by any definition but it's a lot more stable especially going around corners. The EUV leans and squats with every steering input. It's like an SUV with a sloppy suspension. I do like the new soft touch material on the door cards as well as the more upscale interior. But I'm going to pass on this 1st year model.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Price and seat comfort (on the back/lumbar support) and a hatch back/SUV so I can carry things in the back. It won't be a Mach E (in current form), something like 31 connections to the battery cooling system, places for it to leak and if a hose cracks, good luck finding it, it's a real rat's nest. If your the type that gets a new car every three years, that's not a problem.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It won't be a Mach E (in current form), something like 31 connections to the battery cooling system, places for it to leak and if a hose cracks, good luck finding it, it's a real rat's nest.
I would think that's an issue with just about every car with a big battery. There are only so many ways to do it. And newer cars almost never have issues with A/C hose cracks anymore -- at least not for many many years. That's from a bygone era.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I would think that's an issue with just about every car with a big battery. There are only so many ways to do it. And newer cars almost never have issues with A/C hose cracks anymore -- at least not for many many years. That's from a bygone era.
Watched a video comparing cooling of Tesla to Mach E. Tesla only has a couple of hoses. Mach E had a rats nest of them that filled the whole bench.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts