GM Volt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a new Nissan Leaf 2012 for about 3.5 years (extended the lease while looking for my next car). This car lacks HV battery heat management, and I live in Phoenix, AZ. Range shrank from about 110 miles to 70 miles before the battery was replaced (warranty) after just 2.8 yr. Then it was a brand new car again (The next owner will be pleased.)

The next car was (is!) 2013 Volt, used with about 20k miles. Its more or less been a good car, and now has 80k miles.With the stories about "shift to park", "wheel clicking", and the possibility of my local dealer losing their Volt technician expertise, I'm a little concerned about longevity. 30 mile electric range is just short of a full daily round trip to/from work (I can charge 4hr, 12Amp, 120V). If the car dies, and I'm in a position to do so, I'll salvage the HV battery and install it as a home energy storage system. I might install solar at that time.

The next car will have:
HV battery temperature management
At least 200 miles range
DC Fast Charge capability (though its not likely to get used often)
A faster L2 charger, up to 10kW from 3.6kW

I'd like to have:
Adaptive cruise control

As for the rest, I'll have to wait and see what's avalible then. A long range, standard performance Tesla will be considered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I loved the Pacifica Plug In. Amazing machine. The acceleration and quietness impressed me a lot. Range was quite decent too. It's a no stress hybrid plug in to be sure as it likes to manage itself. Frustrating that dealers know nothing about it. Like one dealer told me I HAD TO have the 220V charger to make it charge 'properly'... Hilarious. Similar to the GM dealer that told me I shouldn't leave my Volt plugged in during the rain to reduce the chance of shock.... .

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Well, we went from thinking about it to buying it. Just picked up our new Pacifica Hybrid today. It is a sweet ride!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, we went from thinking about it to buying it. Just picked up our new Pacifica Hybrid today. It is a sweet ride!
Would you be up for sharing some more about your longer term experience? My Volt has to go into the dealer and I'm seriously considering the Pacifica Hybrid.

Also, if you are up for it, would you mind sharing how much you paid? You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Most of our driving is under 25 miles per day, so it will mostly run on electricity.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I'm now shopping for a '17 Volt Premier w/ ACC, a maxxed out model!
This will replace the '14 Spark EV which I use daily. The GF drives a '17 Bolt Premier, maxxed out but no ACC.:(
And we have a Honda Element that just sits there, unloved. It's out of here also.
I figure the Bolt and the Volt can tow a light weight teardrop camper. The Element barely tows itself at highway speeds....

Both the Bolt and the Volt will be Summit white, weird, I know.
I hope to get Comma AI going in the Volt. Haven't looked into it but should be better than the setup that is working in the Bolt right now because of the ACC built in.
I had a white '13 Volt before I sold it and bought the Spark EV. I've been driving the Spark EV for almost 6 years and 90k miles. Who needs a cheap Chevy EV?! Still has minimal degradation.

So this means I'll have owned every EV / PHEV that Chevy made, except for the EV1. I saw an EV1 once driving on the streets of Palo Alto.

And I'm not a Chevy EV fanboi. They just make the most sense compared to the competition, especially when you factor costs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've bought two new Volts, but thanks to it being discontinued, there won't be a third on my shopping list.

I might buy an EV/PHEV this year and I'll admit -- still a little underwhelmed by the choices. Granted, production delays, etc. thanks to the economic disruption has probably played a role.

So maybe I'm missing something. What are people here looking at seriously as their next EV/PHEV?

I'll start off by sharing what's gotten my attention:
  • Ford Escape PHEV
  • Toyota Rav4 Prime
  • Kona EV
  • Ioniq Electric (although this to me looks like the budget EV version of the Volt)
  • Mustang Mach E -- if only it would be available this year
What's on your list?
Tesla Model S
Model Y
Bolt EUV

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Mach E is rolling out, even though being held at the moment.
ID 4.
Ionic 5.
Polestar 2.
E-tron
Tacan

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
810 Posts
Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo... I love wagons. If Cadillac makes me a CTS E-Wagon (or whatever they want to call it), I'll sign.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
....I don't think it's made/announced yet.......

·
Registered
483 Posts
After hell frozen over and thawed. It might be:
1. Tesla Cybertruck
2. E-Hummer
3. Audi E-Tron GT
4. Nissan Ariya
5. Hyundai Ioniq 5

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've bought two new Volts, but thanks to it being discontinued, there won't be a third on my shopping list.

I might buy an EV/PHEV this year and I'll admit -- still a little underwhelmed by the choices. Granted, production delays, etc. thanks to the economic disruption has probably played a role.

So maybe I'm missing something. What are people here looking at seriously as their next EV/PHEV?

I'll start off by sharing what's gotten my attention:
  • Ford Escape PHEV
  • Toyota Rav4 Prime
  • Kona EV
  • Ioniq Electric (although this to me looks like the budget EV version of the Volt)
  • Mustang Mach E -- if only it would be available this year
What's on your list?
My next car will be a pure EV for sure. It must have AWD and at least 300 mile range. It must also have a factory top package as an option. The bigger the battery and the faster the charging (while on trips) the better. The Model Y fits the bill, but I am waiting for quality control and svc to improve. The Mach-E might work, but so far no factory tow package in the US. The Lyriq might work and I am eager to hear more about GM's Ultima battery. The Hummer is too expensive, though it would certainly do all that I would need. The CyberTruck may also be in the running, IF it is not TOO big in person. The Ioniq 5 looks VERY promising....but WHEN will it be readily available in the States ? IF the larger Bolt had AWD and more range (and a tow package) it too would be in the running...but doesn't look like that is going to happen. The next GM car that works for me has not been built yet. SAD.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
My next car will be a pure EV for sure. It must have AWD and at least 300 mile range. It must also have a factory top package as an option. The bigger the battery and the faster the charging (while on trips) the better. The Model Y fits the bill, but I am waiting for quality control and svc to improve. The Mach-E might work, but so far no factory tow package in the US. The Lyriq might work and I am eager to hear more about GM's Ultima battery. The Hummer is too expensive, though it would certainly do all that I would need. The CyberTruck may also be in the running, IF it is not TOO big in person. The Ioniq 5 looks VERY promising....but WHEN will it be readily available in the States ? IF the larger Bolt had AWD and more range (and a tow package) it too would be in the running...but doesn't look like that is going to happen. The next GM car that works for me has not been built yet. SAD.
You will be waiting a while.
There are a lot of great EVs out there already. Your mileage and charging requirements are a little unrealistic, particularly given the expanding charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wife and I own 2017 and 2019 Bolts. They are such great cars that we can’t see anything that we would be desperate to own. We find the European offerings to be too expensive for the rusting, depreciating boxes they are. Chinese haven’t caught up yet and the S. Koreans are starting to make some some interesting vehicles, but not worth trading our Bolts for. I will only consider EVs from now on, but the future looks bright electrically speaking!
You will be waiting a while.
There are a lot of great EVs out there already. Your mileage and charging requirements are a little unrealistic, particularly given the expanding charging infrastructure.
For the long distance trips we currently take, the existing Tesla charging network meets our needs. When Tesla whips their QC issues I could do fine with the Y. As the other charging networks build out for higher speed charging along with more reliability then yes, many more EV's become more attractive. The Mach-E with a tow package would be awesome. And I am hearing pretty positive reports from new Mach-E owners and their road trip experience. A good sign that progress is being made! GM needs to catch up...I don't want to have to wait 2 years for an AWD GM EV with a tow package.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
When Tesla whips their QC issues
Don't hold your breath. They've been in the business more than 10 years and still make rookie mistakes.

And don't believe the range estimates Tesla publishes either. They are the best at "cheating" the EPA tests.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't hold your breath. They've been in the business more than 10 years and still make rookie mistakes.

And don't believe the range estimates Tesla publishes either. They are the best at "cheating" the EPA tests.
I have a number of friends and neighbors and they are extremely pleased with the fit and finish of their Tesla. And we all know that EV range "estimates" are just that, ESTIMATES. EV owners soon learn there are numerous conditions that factor into the actual range they get. Discussing range to anyone that owns or has any experience with a pure EV already knows this. I consistently get more EV range with my car than was ever "advertised".....but it is just MY driving style and the conditions I drive under.
And 10 years building cars is still like a baby learning to walk. How many years have the legacy automakers been at it? (yet they still have recalls and engineering disasters).

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have a number of friends and neighbors and they are extremely pleased with the fit and finish of their Tesla. And we all know that EV range "estimates" are just that, ESTIMATES. EV owners soon learn there are numerous conditions that factor into the actual range they get. Discussing range to anyone that owns or has any experience with a pure EV already knows this. I consistently get more EV range with my car than was ever "advertised".....but it is just MY driving style and the conditions I drive under.
And 10 years building cars is still like a baby learning to walk. How many years have the legacy automakers been at it? (yet they still have recalls and engineering disasters).
I also know people who like their Teslas. And I know people (like a neighbor) who had and S and X and became so frustrated with Tesla that he got rid of both and went back to BMW and Porsche. All cars have issues, but even at 10 years Tesla shouldn't be making the types of rookie mistakes they are. Roofs and windows don't fall off even new Chinese manufacturers' cars.

You can read a lot about how Tesla games the EPA range game. Here is just one article: The Secret Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Used Bolt would suit me. CCS would be worth it, and there's a lot of them out there that have that. At this point, used Premiers are less money than the rainy-day fund, so it's an easy choice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Used Bolt would suit me. CCS would be worth it, and there's a lot of them out there that have that. At this point, used Premiers are less money than the rainy-day fund, so it's an easy choice.
Before buying my 2017 Volt, I had 2 choices between two 2017 Bolts. One had 9000 miles and was selling for $15,900 and the other had 30k miles for $15K but I still chose the Volt anyway at $12,800. Being that it's a PHEV, I can still buy a lot of gasoline for $3000.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hummer SUV reveal in early April. Just a guess that it won't be cheap, LOL.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hummer SUV reveal in early April. Just a guess that it won't be cheap, LOL.
Probably very "Rivian-like", but yea expensive. I think an AWD EV version of the Ford Flex would be
popular. Very practical box-like shape. Different strokes for different folks......it good that we are finally getting some
choices.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts