GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've bought two new Volts, but thanks to it being discontinued, there won't be a third on my shopping list.

I might buy an EV/PHEV this year and I'll admit -- still a little underwhelmed by the choices. Granted, production delays, etc. thanks to the economic disruption has probably played a role.

So maybe I'm missing something. What are people here looking at seriously as their next EV/PHEV?

I'll start off by sharing what's gotten my attention:
  • Ford Escape PHEV
  • Toyota Rav4 Prime
  • Kona EV
  • Ioniq Electric (although this to me looks like the budget EV version of the Volt)
  • Mustang Mach E -- if only it would be available this year
What's on your list?
I still have my 2013 Volt with ~70K and hope GM comes out with a full PHEV pickup. Ford's new 2021 F-150 Hybrid which is not plug in so far is a possibility if GM doesn't as I'm looking at doing some traveling in retirement in a couple of years and need a pickup for my mini farm and will also pull a travel trailer. I'm going to start putting bugs in my GM dealer's ears that they need to keep up with the competition and not lose a lifelong GM owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've bought two new Volts, but thanks to it being discontinued, there won't be a third on my shopping list.

I might buy an EV/PHEV this year and I'll admit -- still a little underwhelmed by the choices. Granted, production delays, etc. thanks to the economic disruption has probably played a role.

So maybe I'm missing something. What are people here looking at seriously as their next EV/PHEV?

• Ford Escape PHEV
  • Toyota Rav4 Prime
  • Kona EV
  • Ioniq Electric (although this to me looks like the budget EV version of the Volt)
What's on your list?
Tesla Model Y! I wasn't impressed with the Kona EV after having the opportunity to borrow one for a week...wasn't nearly as great as my 2018 Volt Premier and my better half drives the Toyota Rav4 Prime....the Model Y became my choice quickly. I have owned it for 5 weeks and don't miss ANYTHING from my beloved Volt Premier. I love being all EV now. I won't go back to a PHEV. It was a great stepping stool that taught me I could go all EV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm still about a year out from considering a new car, but I'm actually very interested in the Y. I leaned toward the 3 anticipating they would drop in price, but when they introduced the Y and it more or less resembled the 3 but with a hatch instead of a trunk, I definitely gained more interest in the Y. I love the hatch in my Volt, and really like the ability to put larger objects in the car so having a trunk would be limiting. I hope by the time I'm shopping in about a year or so they'll have improved production and QC.
It's an incredible car! I thought nothing could be as great as my Volt....this has been heavenly to transition to.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
My lease is almost up. The Volt was a great way to test the waters and now it's time to dive into the BEV water. I'm looking at the Polestar 2 which is getting great reviews as it comes stateside.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I loved the Pacifica Plug In. Amazing machine. The acceleration and quietness impressed me a lot. Range was quite decent too. It's a no stress hybrid plug in to be sure as it likes to manage itself. Frustrating that dealers know nothing about it. Like one dealer told me I HAD TO have the 220V charger to make it charge 'properly'... Hilarious. Similar to the GM dealer that told me I shouldn't leave my Volt plugged in during the rain to reduce the chance of shock.... .

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
We have had the Pacifica Hybrid for almost 2 years and really like it. There are some issues with the Uconnect infotainment system but the PHEV part works great. It's regenerative capabilities are superior to our 2012 Volt (though I'm sure that has improved in newer Volt models). It also completely charges the battery pack in 2 hours (16 kwh) which is over twice as fast as our Volt. Unlike the Volt, it truly is a hybrid that will run both the gas motor and electric motor when you need extra pickup.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey good tips in this thread -- appreciated the suggestion of the Jaguar I-Pace. Thought it was a "reach" vehicle, but there are crazy deals on remaining 2019s right now. Seems "close enough" to the SUV size we need (have a new baby). Appreciate the good tips!

Yeah and there are just not a lot of the RAV4 Prime and Ford Escape PHEV around yet and we need to pull the trigger pretty soon. WIll report back if we do!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Call me crazy, but the prices for used Jaguar I Paces are starting to drop (I'm finding them in the $40s and dealer demos with the tax credit in the mid $50s). I just can't find any EV with an interior that I Iike as well as the Jag. I tried to talk myself into a used Model S. I think the exterior has aged well, but I just can't bring myself to stomach the interior. I actively hate it. And as bad as the JLR infotainment system is, at least it has CarPlay (which the Tesla doesn't).
I test drove one at the LA Auto Show! Interior gorgeous, Indian company kept it very British! One GLARING fault, NO REGEN PADDLE! Drives great, really interested! But not at 70-80K. I still have till October 2021 on my 2019 Volt. If the iPace is still hovering at those prices I'd consider. BUT, if the healthcare company I'm involved with goes where it's supposed to, My Dream Car is a Porsche Macan E when produced!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Really it's a matter of when you want to do it, isn't it? What's available now, near future, or a bit further down the road. If I look at what's available now, you have Tesla models, Jaguar iPace, Audi eTron, the Bolt, a bunch off more affordable smaller vehicles, then there are a slew of plug-in hybrids. But then you have the just released Cadillac Lyriq which looks interesting as does the Polestar 2 which isn't quite ready but we're seeing reviews out of Europe on now.

I looked seriously at the eTron myself recently. The problem with Tesla starts at the top for me; Elon Musk. I don't want to give that guy a penny of my money... and I know I'm not the only person who feels that way. Great cars, I have several friends who own them, but you have such a polarizing CEO that makes you say, 'Thanks, but no thanks', and you move on. With every other pure electric right now I worry more about public charging points. I took the etron's range and tried to figure out where I could go and things looked great until you went off the main highways, then things still became a bit dicey. Found loads of Tesla recharging points, so there are lots of those and one reason to buy a Tesla, and VW as part of their agreement with the US Govt., is building out the Charge America network, but it's just now starting to get off the ground and I couldn't do a full round trip out to one of our more popular day trip area (no rechargers in the town we visit and none in the surrounding areas).

I found a demo Volvo S60 T8 PHEV recently and despite it not having but ½ the electric range of the Volt, I traded in my Volt. Why would I trade Volt for a PHEV that only gets 25 miles on electric? Two things, First 400 HP!, Volvo does what Honda did with their PHEVs and they use both gas and electric when you want to push the vehicle with the combo turbo and supercharge engine up front and the rear engines driving the rear, it's a very impressive PHEV. It also allows me to take those longer road trips and while on the combustion engine, you can recharge the batteries, then go back into all electric mode. Using this technique on a long trip recently I was able to get about 41 MPGs out of it. Which isn't any worse than the Volt got when I took that on long trips because there was really no way to recharge the batteries while driving. In the end I'm very happy with it (happy to get my sun roof back), but it's not the full electric that I figured I would own next after the Volt... but did I mention the 400 HP? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts

• Ford Escape PHEV
  • Toyota Rav4 Prime
  • Kona EV
What's on your list?
Well, I have a Gen1 Volt, and bought a Bolt two years ago. I like the Bolt a lot, and we use it for 90% of our miles... both cars are effectively charged off of our PV system, which was sized to keep up. From what I can tell, if we hadn't bought the Bolt already and needed to buy an EV today, I suspect I'd test drive a Tesla, but still wind up with the Bolt.

But we still need a road trip car, and the G1 Volt is losing its appeal. If we replace it soon (tempting), I'll probably look at a new-as-possible used G2 Volt, or a used Fusion PHEV.

For a new car... I can see some appeal/utility in a PHEV cute-ute. For my wife and I, if it doesn't have AWD, it isn't a Ute. If/when we need AWD, we're almost by definition going skiing or driving somewhere in the absolute middle of nowhere. For us that kills the appeal of an EV SUV at this time.

So for something in that form factor to make sense to us, it would need to be a PHEV with a decent battery-only range and AWD. I think, on paper, and with cost and quality considerations in mind, that would mean the Rav4. Fly in the ointment is that I find the whole Toyota lineup's styling so unbelievably ugly as of late that I'm not sure I could part with the cash to have one sitting in my driveway ruining the view.

So I'm underwhelmed too!

·
Registered
11 Posts

• Ford Escape PHEV
  • Toyota Rav4 Prime
  • Kona EV
What's on your list?
If you can wait until 2023 (late 2022) GM is coming out with (8) New Models with a single charge get to 400 to 500 miles. Miles will depend on which car you pick.

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got a 2013 Volt about 4 years ago off a 3 year lease.
But I'm more of a truck person, so I kept my Ridgeline as well for weekend warrior type things.
The savings in gas to work and back daily (40 miles round trip) has pretty much paid for the Volt.
And I've loved the option for a cheap daily commute, but also the truck for trips to HD, to the desert, and also the snow.
Having one vehicle that could do those would be ideal for me.

I really like the Rivian R1T - supposed to be available soon(?), but only available for pre-order now. They also have an SUV version.

I'm looking to retire in a year, so I don't need/want a hefty car payment just prior to that.

So I'm looking for my Volt and Ridgeline to hold out for another 4 years, and if one doesn't then I've still got the other :)
Probably early in 2025, I'll be looking for an off-lease Rivian to replace my Volt and Ridgeline.
But also hoping at that point there will be some other off-lease electric versions of trucks.
I'm not really into the Cyber Truck. I appreciate the development going into it to help further things, but functionally it just doesn't match what might work best for me I don't think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Call me crazy, but the prices for used Jaguar I Paces are starting to drop (I'm finding them in the $40s and dealer demos with the tax credit in the mid $50s). I just can't find any EV with an interior that I Iike as well as the Jag. I tried to talk myself into a used Model S. I think the exterior has aged well, but I just can't bring myself to stomach the interior. I actively hate it. And as bad as the JLR infotainment system is, at least it has CarPlay (which the Tesla doesn't).
Ipace is beautiful inside and out, but the car has lackluster reliability and felt kinda snug to me in the driver's seat. It's smaller than you think. English and electric don't quite mix, traditionally.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take a test ride in an E-tron. There are 2019's out and about that you could probably get a very good deal on. I would trust the build quality to be superior to Tesla and Jaguar. The range is below average, however, at around 220 MPC. It's gorgeous and comfy inside, as nice as the iPace, but superior to anything Tesla makes.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'd like to replace my 8 year old volt this year. The only things catching my eye are the Rav4 Prime and the Escape PHEV. Neither of those are currently available anywhere near me. I searched cars.com on Friday, and they actually showed up for the first time, but none of them are actually on a dealer lot yet.
The question will be whether or not I can actually get my hands on one for a decent price.
The question is whether or not you can get one - period.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Ipace is beautiful inside and out, but the car has lackluster reliability and felt kinda snug to me in the driver's seat. It's smaller than you think. English and electric don't quite mix, traditionally.
I have experience with MGBs, so if I see the word "Lucas" on anything, I'll run for the hills. I have test driven the I Pace three times and it fits me well (YMMV). I've also been lurking on I Pace forums for a couple of months and the level of satisfaction and number of complaints has been encouraging. The used one that I'm looking at has 20,000 miles and still has a healthy battery, so I think any gremlins would have emerged by now.

I also like that it's a unique car without being crazy looking.

I think that we're about a year away from really seeing low prices on used I Paces (the initial three year leases coming due and lots of new EV to choose from).

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Take a test ride in an E-tron. There are 2019's out and about that you could probably get a very good deal on. I would trust the build quality to be superior to Tesla and Jaguar. The range is below average, however, at around 220 MPC. It's gorgeous and comfy inside, as nice as the iPace, but superior to anything Tesla makes.
Although the range bothered me, I liked the E-Tron and Audi has dropped the price a bit. My wife has an SUV, so I'd prefer to get something more car-like and even with the price drop and the tax credit, a new E-Tron is more expensive than a used I Pace.

I agree that that if you want a good interior, the I Pace and the E-Tron are your only choices at the moment in the EV space.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I got a budget of about $20k for "a car", no matter what it is. Doesn't matter how good it is, what features it's got, I don't care if it's got a 250 kwh battery and can charge half of it in 20 minutes or if it can drive up a 60° slope, I can't justify spending much more than that on a vehicle that isn't also living quarters.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts