GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought two new Volts, but thanks to it being discontinued, there won't be a third on my shopping list.

I might buy an EV/PHEV this year and I'll admit -- still a little underwhelmed by the choices. Granted, production delays, etc. thanks to the economic disruption has probably played a role.

So maybe I'm missing something. What are people here looking at seriously as their next EV/PHEV?

I'll start off by sharing what's gotten my attention:
  • Ford Escape PHEV
  • Toyota Rav4 Prime
  • Kona EV
  • Ioniq Electric (although this to me looks like the budget EV version of the Volt)
  • Mustang Mach E -- if only it would be available this year
What's on your list?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chevrolet Bolt EUV.

That thing looks awesome. After my less than impressive experience with Tesla reliability and quality, I don't think I will be getting any more Tesla's unless they really step it up. I enjoy driving it a lot, and when it's not problematic, it's an incredible machine.

Given the Volts steller reputation with our family, I will definitely be getting another Chevrolet. As long as the dealers stop trying to sell me an Equinox like every dealer seemed to do when we TRIED to buy a Volt.

RAV4 Prime is a waste of time when the supply is limited and dealer markups price it higher than a Model 3! Crazy. Ford's reputation is meh for plug ins.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Full BEV, but I anticipate it will be several years before I'm in the market again.

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The grand plan is a Cybertruck. Seeing as how they just started site prep for the googleplexfactory that will built it, I can't see anything in the near term that would make me trade up from my paid for Bolt.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Call me crazy, but the prices for used Jaguar I Paces are starting to drop (I'm finding them in the $40s and dealer demos with the tax credit in the mid $50s). I just can't find any EV with an interior that I Iike as well as the Jag. I tried to talk myself into a used Model S. I think the exterior has aged well, but I just can't bring myself to stomach the interior. I actively hate it. And as bad as the JLR infotainment system is, at least it has CarPlay (which the Tesla doesn't).

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Did test drive on Ford (kuga in here), Peugeot 3008 PHEV, Kona & Ioniq. Ioniq was crap, Kona had somehow too little headroom (prolly due to electric seat + roof window), Kuga I just didn't like and 3008 was otherwise good but the back seating did not meet my expectations. So I'll sit atleast until RAV4 test or just keep the Volt for now.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
678 Posts
I made my decision last year when I turned in my Volt lease. It was replaced with a Tesla 3 RWD Long Range with FSD. It has been flawless since I took delivery 14,000 miles and 17 months ago and fit and finish were excellent at delivery.

·
Registered
420 Posts
1. A 300 mile range.
2. Sirius XM (the radio with the antenna, NOT just the app).
3. Adaptive cruise control.
4. Either a hatchback or pickup (preferred).
5. From a US company & made in the USA.

I'm open to anything that meets all these criteria.

I saw the Bolt in the showroom while having maintenance done, and would be open to that with ACC and a range update. Other than that, the Cybertruck is one I'm most interested in provided it has Sirius XM. I'm not aware of anything else that meets the listed requirements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My minivan is up for replacement so I’m thinking about a Pacifica hybrid. Test drove one right before the world shut down and it performed better than I expected.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My minivan is up for replacement so I’m thinking about a Pacifica hybrid. Test drove one right before the world shut down and it performed better than I expected.
I loved the Pacifica Plug In. Amazing machine. The acceleration and quietness impressed me a lot. Range was quite decent too. It's a no stress hybrid plug in to be sure as it likes to manage itself. Frustrating that dealers know nothing about it. Like one dealer told me I HAD TO have the 220V charger to make it charge 'properly'... Hilarious. Similar to the GM dealer that told me I shouldn't leave my Volt plugged in during the rain to reduce the chance of shock.... .

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The grand plan is a Cybertruck. ....
But you can't see out of that goofy thing... Even Mr. M runs over things when driving it.:p

I'm waiting for more info on the BOLT EUV.
It's got to have an affordable Super Cruise and DCFC that is up to recent standards.
The way the current Bolt handles 50kW charging is not very good....

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
...Frustrating that dealers know nothing about it. Like one dealer told me I HAD TO have the 220V charger to make it charge 'properly'... Hilarious. Similar to the GM dealer that told me I shouldn't leave my Volt plugged in during the rain to reduce the chance of shock....
:cautious::(
It is sad that some people go to talk to a car salesman for information.
Do you know what it takes to qualify to be a car salesman?
Do you know how to tell if a car salesman is lying?
Do you know where they rank on respected occupations lists?
These dogs are trained to never say the words, "I don't know".

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
I'm extremely satisfied with both my 2011 Volt and our 2017 Bolt. My dealer has also been good, not that they see me much. When the Volt needs to be replaced, I'll likely look in the used car market for another Volt or a Bolt.

Reactions: subdewd

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm still about a year out from considering a new car, but I'm actually very interested in the Y. I leaned toward the 3 anticipating they would drop in price, but when they introduced the Y and it more or less resembled the 3 but with a hatch instead of a trunk, I definitely gained more interest in the Y. I love the hatch in my Volt, and really like the ability to put larger objects in the car so having a trunk would be limiting. I hope by the time I'm shopping in about a year or so they'll have improved production and QC.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'd like to replace my 8 year old volt this year. The only things catching my eye are the Rav4 Prime and the Escape PHEV. Neither of those are currently available anywhere near me. I searched cars.com on Friday, and they actually showed up for the first time, but none of them are actually on a dealer lot yet.
The question will be whether or not I can actually get my hands on one for a decent price.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If my '16 got wrecked, I'd probably get a Y, otherwise I will drive my Volt until an all-electric is available with 500 mi. min range or recharge to full in 10 minutes. Within 2-3 years GM may get serious once again about competing in the EV market. By then a suitable Volt replacement may be available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lordstown Endurance pickup, not the current all electric version, but the future range extended version which I'm pretty sure will be coming.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
... until an all-electric is available with 500 mi. min range or recharge to full in 10 minutes. ....
This is the typical non EV owner pipe dream.
Just mathematically, do you know how much power that would be going into a battery pack capable of 500 mile range?
Whatever this dream chemistry the battery might have in the future, recharging like that is hitting the battery really hard.
Fuel stops can be longer than that..
Anyway, why 500 miles?
Very few ICE cars have that kind of range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wife and I own 2017 and 2019 Bolts. They are such great cars that we can’t see anything that we would be desperate to own. We find the European offerings to be too expensive for the rusting, depreciating boxes they are. Chinese haven’t caught up yet and the S. Koreans are starting to make some some interesting vehicles, but not worth trading our Bolts for. I will only consider EVs from now on, but the future looks bright electrically speaking!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I have owned 4 Volts (2011, 2012, 2014 & 2016) and we just decided to pull the trigger on a full BEV this year. We did extensive research on specs and prices of what's currently available, then we test drove a Tesla Model 3, Hyundai Kona, Kia Nero & Chevy Bolt. All of them were great and were serious contenders for our purchase. I personally liked the Nero & Model 3 the best, but this will be my wife's primary daily driver and she prefers a smaller vehicle. We finally ended up settling on the Bolt Premier, which we decided was ultimately the best price for the features (even when you factored in the $7500 tax credit still available on the Kia & Hyundai models!). Chevy is offering some major cash-back incentives on the Bolt to try to remain competitive. We are very happy with the choice and have already taken it on several long road trips and tried out the DC fast charging. We are going to wait a couple of years before upgrading our final Volt (the 2016), and hoping that there will be a much wider range of AWD BEVs on the market by then, because we'd really like that for the Pennsylvania winters!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts