GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay.

It's pretty must set now. My wife is a state pin collector. She begin as a shot class collector but switched to collecting state pins for her sash.

She needs the New England states and Utah to complete her sash (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) in the contiguous states in our Volt as a road trip pin-set.

If our plans come to fruition, we'll explore that region this summer.

Where are the places that we'll regret not seeing in that area?

EDIT: Connecticut, MA, New Jersey, Vermont and New York are also needed, although we've been to one of those in another vehicle.

·
4,851 Posts
My opinion... In NH see Franconia Notch (lots of natural attractions there) and maybe drive up Mount Washington too. I'm not as well versed with Maine, but Acadia National Park is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My opinion... In NH see Franconia Notch (lots of natural attractions there) and maybe drive up Mount Washington too. I'm not as well versed with Maine, but Acadia National Park is pretty amazing.
Thanks!

We'll try and add that to the trip!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I agree with Franconia notch. I suggest take the tram up Canon Mtn. You could see some bears eating berries during the ride up. At the summit take the summit trail starting on left trail. About 500 ft into the trail there is an outcropping of rocks you can stand on and get a great view and photo of part of the presidential range.
If you are into beer check out some of the micro breweries in northern Vt.
For a cold dip in the Atlantic Ocean head to Hampton beech and get a lobster fresh off the boat at Browns. For a picturesque sea side town gotta visit Camden, Me. Lots of antique shopping around that area along route 1.

Top of Mount Washington probably only place in New England where you could be above the clouds.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
14 yrs in NH. Many more in the NE area. Make sure to see the White Mountains. Agree, drive up through Franconia notch, Canon Mt Tram, Flume, lakes, up over to North Conway, and Pinkham Notch where Mt Washington is. The mountains are beautiful, challenging, yet accessible in day trips. I've hiked up Mt Washington twice, and driven up twice.
Both NH and Maine also have great lake escapes too. Closer ones can be crazy busy, like Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, but still beautiful. To really get away, rent a cabin on a lake. Sebec Lake, Moosehead Lake in ME. It's a long drive, but if you're heading up the coast to the Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park area, there are lots of lake getaway choices.

·
Registered
777 Posts
For some reason, I'm always hunting for great beer. Try the Woodstock Inn and Brewery while in northern NH. In Portland Maine, I must have Gritty McDuff's Best Bitter (go for the cask version). Both places have free charging stations nearby.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Now that some have mentioned the usual vacation stops, let me provide some info on other unique places to visit.

A little known National Park is the St. Gaudens National Historic Site. It was home to one of America's greatest sculptors.

https://www.nps.gov/saga/index.htm

Besides the history and art replicas, the grounds are scenic and well kept. Makes for an enjoyable day.

If in your travels you want to just relax for a day at a lakeside beach, I would suggest Ellacoya State Park. It has a nice beach, sun and shady areas, a beautiful view, and a chance to swim in one of the great lakes of the Northeast, Lake Winnipesaukee.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/ellacoya-state-park.aspx

Two resort areas in the North Country are Lincoln and North Conway. Between them lies the Kancamagus Highway.

http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

In Lincoln, there is Clark's Trading Post. Sort of a quaint place with humble beginnings, but is known for its black bear acts. They also have in recent years featured Chinese acrobats that are quite talented. Also, you can ride on a train that is steam-powered and fired by wood.

http://www.clarkstradingpost.com/

If you like the water, another fun day is to kayak down the Saco River near North Conway.

http://www.sacobound.com/

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you like fresh bread, pizza and beer, try When Pigs Fly bakery, right up the street from the Kittery Malls. Worth the trip!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Folks!

Good suggestions, all. The crew in Maine's travel bureau advertises in our cable and over-the-air TV market at lot. That's partly the reason our interest was piqued. There was even this piece in our local paper today.

Please see:: ROCKLAND, MAINE: COASTAL SCENERY, ARTS, GOOD FOOD

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Headed there today, weather permitting. Mount Washington road status says it opened three minutes ago.

·
Registered
322 Posts
At teh risk of feeding a stereotype, we vacation extensively in Maine and NH.

Recommended sites: Franconia notch parkway, Portsmouth NH, Old Orchard beach/Ogunquit area, Newcastle/Wentworth.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I agree with Franconia notch. I suggest take the tram up Canon Mtn. You could see some bears eating berries during the ride up. At the summit take the summit trail starting on left trail. About 500 ft into the trail there is an outcropping of rocks you can stand on and get a great view and photo of part of the presidential range.
If you are into beer check out some of the micro breweries in northern Vt.
For a cold dip in the Atlantic Ocean head to Hampton beech and get a lobster fresh off the boat at Browns. For a picturesque sea side town gotta visit Camden, Me. Lots of antique shopping around that area along route 1.

Top of Mount Washington probably only place in New England where you could be above the clouds.
I'll see your black Volt and raise you one more black Volt atop Mt. Washington.

20160707_151755.jpg

Edit: Relaxing in Burlington, VT and planning tomorrow's day. Probably traversing Grand Isle and. North Hero island before heading to Maine.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In Lincoln, there is Clark's Trading Post. Sort of a quaint place with humble beginnings, but is known for its black bear acts. They also have in recent years featured Chinese acrobats that are quite talented. Also, you can ride on a train that is steam-powered and fired by wood.

http://www.clarkstradingpost.com/

Enjoy your trip!
Man, that place was busier than a one-armed paper hanger on a windstorm. Traffic moved a few car lengths per minute. We opted to procede on to Mt. Washington.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm from the Boston area. Don't forget to stop by for a charge while you drive through! In addition to Mt Washington being fantastic visit the beaches of Maine. I'd also like to add that you should absolutely take a couple of days to drive through Vermont. Skip the Interstate highways though, all of the major north/south roads wind along rivers in valleys with views and driving enjoyment that will either take your breath away or make your passenger carsick (just kidding). Try Rt 4 to Rt 100 from Killington to Waitsfield, then turn west onto 17 and go over the pass behind Mad River Glen ski area and you will have an amazing view of Lake Champlain and the valley. Pick up some fresh Maple Syrup while you are there!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm from the Boston area. Don't forget to stop by for a charge while you drive through! In addition to Mt Washington being fantastic visit the beaches of Maine. I'd also like to add that you should absolutely take a couple of days to drive through Vermont. Skip the Interstate highways though, all of the major north/south roads wind along rivers in valleys with views and driving enjoyment that will either take your breath away or make your passenger carsick (just kidding). Try Rt 4 to Rt 100 from Killington to Waitsfield, then turn west onto 17 and go over the pass behind Mad River Glen ski area and you will have an amazing view of Lake Champlain and the valley. Pick up some fresh Maple Syrup while you are there!
Crossed over on the ferry to Plattsburgh and took in Ausable Chasm. Heading off to Stowe, VT to watch hot air balloons launch in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Norm, that's great! If you have time go down to Waitsfield and have dinner at the American Flatbread company, it's a very unique and delicious experience. They only take walk-ins and are only open for dining Thurs. - Sat nights.

http://americanflatbread.com/restaurants/waitsfield-vt/

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Saw two Gen I Volts on the Jersey Turnpike (I-95S) today. The first in motion seen during the entire trip to date - 3900 miles so far.

The first was an older white Volt (black tail), and the other a black Volt.The only other Volt seen was parked in a government lot in D.C..

·
Registered
22 Posts
While I live in Maine, a few of my favorite things are driving up Rt 1 along the coast. Freeport is a wonderful shopping town and home of the original LL Bean store. If you want to drive further north, drive up to Bar Harbor and drive up Cadillac Mountain and get some great pictures. http://www.acadiamagic.com/CadillacMountain.html

Plus it's the national park's 100th birthday this summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts