GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all, first post from a very satisfied owner with about 1500 miles logged so far (and still half a tank of the dealer's gas left). I have been wondering what a 3rd, upscale trim level could look like, if Chevy wanted to try and lure more import luxury car owners. So these features would be considered amenities rather than necessities. My personal list is as follows, and I am curious what else others might add (or subtract).
1. Wood trim instead of chrome in the interior - I have the 2-tone interior (black/tan?) and love it, but I think it would look more luxurious with wood trim;
2. Homelink garage door opener - it's probably been 10 years since I had a car without this feature, so it seems to me more of a necessity than an amenity;
3. Power seats - not much of a practical issue for me, as I have been the only driver so far, but it is nice, with multiple drivers, to simply push a button and have the seat adjust. Also nice if you tend to periodically do micro-adjustments to the seating (eg after a big lunch, you tilt the seat back a little more lol), which I used to be guilty of;
4. I would dispense with the pretense of having 3 seats in the back (even my under 5 foot niece laughs at the middle seat), and have the option of something more useful in that space, perhaps additional storage;
5. I would also dispense with the region paddle on the steering column and replace it with a button that would turn on the rear camera when you want more visual info than provided by the rear windshield (I started out using the regen paddle a lot initially, but was convinced that coasting and regular braking required less calculation, and I decided it was safer to allocate all the braking duties to my right foot).
6. Maybe an option for upgraded tires (maybe lower profile, maybe something less oriented towards minimizing rolling resistance), and upgraded stereo.

At the approx. $40K MSRP for the current 2nd trim level for the Volt, it is already, in a sense, competing with a lot of near-luxury and entry-level luxury sedans, so a luxury trim level (if not too much of an additional bump up in price) might make it more appealing at that price point. Since the Chevy Volt itself is a car that reflects thinking "outside the box," I wish the Chevy marketing gurus would also think outside the box.

Thanks for any comments and feedback.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
In the US I think a luxury version would be in a Malibu based car, or even Impala based.

Mainly, I would like to see more choices. Could have brushed aluminum, wood, etc. Power seating and sunroof options, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Homelink mirror, power seats ( heated and cooled ) with memory, rear view mirror shows a camera view, wireless connectivity to the Internet while parked in home garage for software updates (it's a computer on wheels), rain sensing wipers, more leather in the interior, heavily tinted windows from the B pillar back. Set the clock from my smartphone. Please give me the Waze application.

I love the Volt but my rant is:
I have a smart phone with connectivity with constant software updates and improvements. Best example is navigation. I don't need OnStar, I don't need 4G. Use my phone for communication. The phone can know when I've crashed. How many monthly connectivity services do you think customers should pay for? This is my City car where communication is everywhere via cell towers. GM, what planet are you on?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If anyone knows of an OEM vehicle that shows the rear camera please post it...Even the current rear Volt camera wouldn't cover the blind spots anyway and I could imagine lots of accidents happening as result of that...On honda's sensing package, they mount cameras under the sideview mirrors which covers the blind spots...Oddly Honda's often have better options than their Acura counterparts but the Accord is their best selling car so it makes sense for them to make it compelling....

Connectivity is about profit, makes money by you buying monthly services...

I hate CP/AA, I love Waze, don't think Apple will ever allow anything but Apple Maps on CP...Google owns Waze and to my knowledge it still isn't added to AA...I would pay $1000 for someone to hack the infotainment to just mirror my iPhone screen...

Despite half of all Volt sold being sold in sunny, mild weather California GM doesn't think the Volt needs a sunroof...It even seems they want to ensure no one ever puts one into the Gen2 since they basically made it impossible to add one with the sculpted roof...

They could have used the Cruzes power seats but didn't...I'm curious to see how the Bolt's thin and lightweight seat evolves, if they put them into the Volt you get more legroom...The 5th seat was something everyone wanted, it was just executed poorly as most wanted it with a flat floor...There are still some benefits to having a continuous bench in the rear vs a 2+2...Easier to get big items in and out...

Yet overall I don't think adding a sunroof, power seats, wood trim and garage door opener would translate to many more sales...Would just give the media a few less things to complain about...50MPG and a 0-60 2+ second quicker sure would increase sales, though...

·
Registered
197 Posts
If anyone knows of an OEM vehicle that shows the rear camera please post it...Even the current rear Volt camera wouldn't cover the blind spots anyway and I could imagine lots of accidents happening as result of that...On honda's sensing package, they mount cameras under the sideview mirrors which covers the blind spots...Oddly Honda's often have better options than their Acura counterparts but the Accord is their best selling car so it makes sense for them to make it compelling....

Connectivity is about profit, makes money by you buying monthly services...

I hate CP/AA, I love Waze, don't think Apple will ever allow anything but Apple Maps on CP...Google owns Waze and to my knowledge it still isn't added to AA...I would pay $1000 for someone to hack the infotainment to just mirror my iPhone screen...

Despite half of all Volt sold being sold in sunny, mild weather California GM doesn't think the Volt needs a sunroof...It even seems they want to ensure no one ever puts one into the Gen2 since they basically made it impossible to add one with the sculpted roof...

They could have used the Cruzes power seats but didn't...I'm curious to see how the Bolt's thin and lightweight seat evolves, if they put them into the Volt you get more legroom...The 5th seat was something everyone wanted, it was just executed poorly as most wanted it with a flat floor...There are still some benefits to having a continuous bench in the rear vs a 2+2...Easier to get big items in and out...

Yet overall I don't think adding a sunroof, power seats, wood trim and garage door opener would translate to many more sales...Would just give the media a few less things to complain about...50MPG and a 0-60 2+ second quicker sure would increase sales, though...
Based upon what you're saying about the Volt, why did you buy it in the first place? It seems like you don't like the car at all (or at least you like it only a little bit). Personally I love my Volt, and could care less about the powered seats, wood trim, sunroof, homelink, etc. And I love the Android Auto and CarPlay.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Two of us regularly drive the car and power seats with memory and memory mirrors would be VERY nice. It should be standard on a 40K car...

Personally I love my Volt, and could care less about the powered seats, wood trim, sunroof, homelink, etc.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Based upon what you're saying about the Volt, why did you buy it in the first place? It seems like you don't like the car at all (or at least you like it only a little bit). Personally I love my Volt, and could care less about the powered seats, wood trim, sunroof, homelink, etc. And I love the Android Auto and CarPlay.
That's what I'll never understand about a lot folks on here, they just don't comprehend constructive criticism...If you don't think the Volt is 100% perfect, than you're a Volt hater and shouldn't buy one...

3 Reasons which all result in a compromise...I like the idea of the Volt's RE, IMO its 75% there...I sit in stop and go traffic 95% of the time so even if I bought a beloved "Hellcat" its not like I'd enjoy it most of the time and it'd be a lot more expensive...Lastly got an offer I couldn't refuse, $0 down (net) $205/mo plug free changing and about 37mpg for long trips (I drive it normal, HVAC on, 10mph over speed limit when not in traffic)...Got it so cheap that I'd have no problem finding a buyer if I change my mind later...I have a TM3 on order...

·
Registered
568 Posts
some of the things mentioned -- when all added up, might add an extra 100 or 200# -- when it's already sitting at 3500, every little bit counts.

Add in all the toys that suck down juice or add weight, and suddenly that 42mpg, is now 39. Or the electric range is now 45 instead of 53.

Waiting for my 2017 volt to be built -- the car it's replacing is my 2012 Kia Rio is 2400lbs, and you want to talk about power nothing, and zero gadgets or gizmos. I find it amazing I'll be driving a car that weighs over 1/2 a ton more, and still gets better gas mileage (in hold mode) Even when being good, I'll only get 36 to 37mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Two of us regularly drive the car and power seats with memory and memory mirrors would be VERY nice. It should be standard on a 40K car...
I would agree with that IF the car was an ICE and did not have expensive motors, batteries, and electronics to run it all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's what I'll never understand about a lot folks on here, they just don't comprehend constructive criticism...If you don't think the Volt is 100% perfect, than you're a Volt hater and shouldn't buy one...

3 Reasons which all result in a compromise...I like the idea of the Volt's RE, IMO its 75% there...I sit in stop and go traffic 95% of the time so even if I bought a beloved "Hellcat" its not like I'd enjoy it most of the time and it'd be a lot more expensive...Lastly got an offer I couldn't refuse, $0 down (net) $205/mo plug free changing and about 37mpg for long trips (I drive it normal, HVAC on, 10mph over speed limit when not in traffic)...Got it so cheap that I'd have no problem finding a buyer if I change my mind later...I have a TM3 on order...
You never mentioned anything you liked about it, so it sounded like you hated it, and did not sound like constructive criticism. Typically when I have constructive criticism, I will say the bad, but then also the things I like. But maybe that's just me. To be honest, I could care less if you like it or not, I was just stating what it sounded like to me based upon what you had posted. Hopefully you will be happy with the Model 3, as it will not have Android Auto or CarPlay, but they are thinking about integrating screen mirroring.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
You never mentioned anything you liked about it, so it sounded like you hated it, and did not sound like constructive criticism. Typically when I have constructive criticism, I will say the bad, but then also the things I like. But maybe that's just me. To be honest, I could care less if you like it or not, I was just stating what it sounded like to me based upon what you had posted. Hopefully you will be happy with the Model 3, as it will not have Android Auto or CarPlay, but they are thinking about integrating screen mirroring.
I do if you read some of my other threads...It's fine with CP/AA, luckily GM lets you turn them off, that's what I've done and just use MyLink...However I ultimately want Waze on my screen which even AA won't let you do...My solution has been a cell phone gooseneck mount to the windshield...I also use siri for just about everything hence why I see zero value in CP...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also use siri for just about everything hence why I see zero value in CP...
I don't understand this last comment.. Are you saying you can't use Siri with CarPlay? Because if that's the case, you can. You just hold down the voice control button on the wheel until you hear the Siri "chime"

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I don't understand this last comment.. Are you saying you can't use Siri with CarPlay? Because if that's the case, you can. You just hold down the voice control button on the wheel until you hear the Siri "chime"
I'm not...I'm saying I can do everything I want without CP...Technically I can do everything I want without MyLink...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If a luxury trim were offered, I would really like to see nicer door panels with more soft material vs all that hard plastic - especially the rear doors. The rear door panels are a complete afterthought. I keep wondering if some upfitter could do something about them.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If a luxury trim were offered, I would really like to see nicer door panels with more soft material vs all that hard plastic - especially the rear doors. The rear door panels are a complete afterthought. I keep wondering if some upfitter could do something about them.
Sure, if you're willing to pay. Hell, if you've got enough money, you could have the whole interior done in pink shag.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sure, if you're willing to pay. Hell, if you've got enough money, you could have the whole interior done in pink shag.
Pink shag ain't my style. :) But the 'soft touch' material they use above the arm rests in the Gen 2 front door panels is really a nice start. They just don't use enough of it. And the rear door panels need some too.

Speaking of shag though - some nicer quality carpeting would be another luxury addition. Given the quiet drive train, it would help reduce road noise too. However it would definitely add a few lbs.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
You'd be surprised how easy or relatively cheap it can be...Material, spray adhesive and heat gun are all that's needed...An upholstery shop usually do not charge all that much...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts