GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought this question up in one of the more recent posting about the Volt's skin but did not hear any real feedback.

Does we know what the Volt body panels will be made of? Will the panels be traditional stamped steel or will a more high tech approach be taken to skin the Volt? I'm thinking along the lines of carbon fibre or fiberglass or some other composite material.

I could see the potential for lowering weight and hence increasing electric range and fuel economy by using lighter materials (not to mention the increased strength of some of these composites.)

With the huge R&D investment in a project like this and the importance of aero drag and weight it would only make sense that the surface materials of the vehicle be innovative as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
materials

It is possible that they use the same materials like the Saturn doors. dent resistant, and very lightweight.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had also read (granted, a looong time ago) that the body panels were to be plastics similar to Saturn's from years gone by. As a past owner of two SL2's, a '92 and a '97, I can tell you that is a GREAT material for body panels! I can't tell you how many dents and dings I would've had if not for those. They were tough!!

They looked almost as good when I sold the cars as when I bought them, too (years of sun and weather are bound to have some effect on the clearcoat). That's quite a tribute when you consider, they were painted with a waterborne process that was a lot more environmentally friendly too.

I would be really disappointed if the Volt were clad in heavier, cheaper, dingable/rustable steel. Saturn made a mistake in dropping them - it was a trademark of their innovation back in the '90s - and I was really hoping to get them back someday.

Perhaps I'm making too big a deal of this ... heh. OK, I promise to relax now ;-)

Edit: FWIW, even Saturns had steel hoods, roof, and trunk panels. It was just the side panels that were plastic.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How about fiberglass? It's worked for the Vette for 45 years. Actually GM is putting even lighter carbon fiber hoods and fenders on the '08 Z06 Vette. Those fenders only weigh in at 3 pounds each.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
They have told us repeatedly that it will be made of traditional steel and that they would use plastics or composites "where it makes sense". Cost is the reason for the low tech body work. I'm fine with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts