GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the Volt uses the 3G network for the Onstar connection. If this is true and what I hear on the news that they are ending 3G the end of this year. What will happen to my car and the way I use it?

Will I just loose the ability to use the Onstar service or more. I thought that the Onstar service made software updates or other things to the car? Only use for my phone app connection and to have them run a diagnostic once and a while.

If nothing please let me know. I had planned to use this car a long time!

Roy

Gen1 Volt #1019

·
Registered
71 Posts
I thought the Volt uses the 3G network for the Onstar connection. If this is true and what I hear on the news that they are ending 3G the end of this year. What will happen to my car and the way I use it?

Will I just loose the ability to use the Onstar service or more. I thought that the Onstar service made software updates or other things to the car? Only use for my phone app connection and to have them run a diagnostic once and a while.

If nothing please let me know. I had planned to use this car a long time!

Roy

Gen1 Volt #1019
There is a hardware upgrade to add 4G support. I had it done years ago (I'm in Canada).
At the time, the hardware upgrade was free if you were still in the trial period, or you agreed to buy service for one year.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
You get to discover that OnStar isn't worth the money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a hardware upgrade to add 4G support. I had it done years ago (I'm in Canada).
At the time, the hardware upgrade was free if you were still in the trial period, or you agreed to buy service for one year.
Kaybee. Thank you for this response. For $10 a months it has been a great service foe me for 10 years. Dropped the AAA since it comes with emergency road service. And enjoy the ability to check the car from my phone.

Will check out how to get the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Kaybee. Thank you for this response. For $10 a months it has been a great service foe me for 10 years. Dropped the AAA since it comes with emergency road service. And enjoy the ability to check the car from my phone.

Will check out how to get the upgrade.
That sounds like a good price. What OnStar services do you get for $10 a month?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like a good price. What OnStar services do you get for $10 a month?
Protection
Roadside Assistance
If you have a flat tire, need a tow or run out of gas, an OnStar Advisor can send for help.
I also get the ability to ask for a diagnostic. And they will email the results.
And If I have a question they can not answer they will connect me to a GM tech - They use to call them Volt advisors but think GM ended that program.

I really like that the car send a text and email to me if I forget to plug in & when the car is finished charging. And then the other things in the Mu chevrolet app. Like key fob functions, and check status of the battery etc. Would hate to loose those.

Roy

I renew yearly 119.95 this year

And I just ask them to roll over the unused phone minutes I never use so they have the last few years. Once I think I had to purchase the minimum to get them all rolled over but is was a small price. Figure good to have as a back up in case I forget my cell phone.

It doesn't have navigation but my volt model has GOS built in so if I need that ok or for a newer map I can use my phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts