GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been beat up repeatedly, but since I've decided to go with a 2014 hopefully this weekend I'm now in the market for a home charger.

Seen the Clipper and the Chargepoint so far. What's everyone using? I plan on having it mounted in the garage and the car will be in the driveway. I also heard that having a plug in is better than a hardwired unit so it's easier to take with you?

Thanks in advance~

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I've been using the L1 charger included with the car for home charging.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In case you didn't know it comes with a 120V EVSE but a 240V is far more convenient. I have an Ecotality Blink unit that was installed as part of a federal program when we bought our LEAF in 2011. I've also had a Clipper Creek and it was a good EVSE. I suggest a plug in 204V because of code. You can get the circuit installed and approved by your city and not have what you're connecting brought into the code issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought this from an ebay vendor. Been using it for 2 months now. Keep in mind, the actual charger is built into the car. This unit is just a simple interface with a few relays. I can't imagine paying more and expect to see them for less soon.

Oops can't post a link to it. Just to a search on Ebay for the Duosida level 2. I paid 209 shipped, it will auto switch between 110 and 220 and comes with an adaptor. I can easily charge 2x a day and regularly drive 70+ on electric.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I've been using the EVSEs supplied with my Gen1 Volts for 5 years, charging at 120 volts overnight (L1). There maybe have been two or three times where I had wished I had an L2. Well, because the stock market has been so good to me this year (thanks President Trump), I decided to buy myself a Christmas present in July. I ordered a Duosida for $159 ( https:/www.aliexpress.com/item/Duosida-Portable-EVSE-16A-SAE-J1772-Type-1-ev-plug-schuko-2-pin-plug-5M-cable/32814475587.html ). Because it was my first order using aliexpress, I was given a $10 off coupon that was applied, making the total bill $149. I have some knowledge in modifying electrical parts and plan to replace the Suduko plug with a NEMA 6-20 plug. I will be installing cabling and an outlet and expect the cost to be about $30. So, my total for setting myself up for L2 charging will be $180 - round numbers. I have 240 volts available in my garage, so I don't have to run cabling to the house service box.

My son leased a Gen2. We installed an outlet for 240 volts and used the supplied EVSE to provide him with a modified L2 charging experience (charging a completely exhausted battery takes 5.5 hours as opposed to 4.5 hours - http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...nversion-to-L2-L1-combo-DONE!&highlight=chris).

·
Registered
348 Posts
I recently purchased a Duosida L2 16 amp EVSE. Direct from the factory with shipping included was $149. I got it with the NEMA 6-20 plug. This is pretty much the smallest L2 EVSE you can get, but the Volt doesn't need much as it tops out at 3.3kW (roughly 14 amps)

A level 2 EVSE won't save you money unless you frequently drive long distances all day and can stop at home to charge up. Or if your electric company charges time-of-use and only has a small window of low rates. You can still buy a L2 for the convenience, but just keep in mind that it's not necessary or cost saving in most circumstances.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have had my 2013 for over 4 years and I am still using the cord that came with the car. At 8 amps usually. Once a week, or so, I have to reset up to 12 amps because I won't be home long enough for the 8 amp setting to get the car fully charged. But I have put just 33,000 miles on my Volt in 50 months.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Still using the L2 Leviton plug-in I bought when I had the PiP Prius.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Bought an early-adopter (expensive) giant GE EVSE over 4 years ago. Charged '13 Volt and then '14 ELR every night and Saturday with zero issues.

One other benefit is getting a quicker charge for short trips in evening or weekends. Since I usually fully discharge the battery daily, L2 is important to me.

A do-over would be a dual-voltage portable unit, but, did not exist then. If the GE ever releases it's smoke, I'll go portable. Doubtful though. The unit is rock solid.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've been using the EVSEs supplied with my Gen1 Volts for 5 years, charging at 120 volts overnight (L1). There maybe have been two or three times where I had wished I had an L2. Well, because the stock market has been so good to me this year (thanks President Trump), I decided to buy myself a Christmas present in July. I ordered a Duosida for $159 ( https:/www.aliexpress.com/item/Duosida-Portable-EVSE-16A-SAE-J1772-Type-1-ev-plug-schuko-2-pin-plug-5M-cable/32814475587.html ). Because it was my first order using aliexpress, I was given a $10 off coupon that was applied, making the total bill $149. I have some knowledge in modifying electrical parts and plan to replace the Suduko plug with a NEMA 6-20 plug. I will be installing cabling and an outlet and expect the cost to be about $30. So, my total for setting myself up for L2 charging will be $180 - round numbers. I have 240 volts available in my garage, so I don't have to run cabling to the house service box.

My son leased a Gen2. We installed an outlet for 240 volts and used the supplied EVSE to provide him with a modified L2 charging experience (charging a completely exhausted battery takes 5.5 hours as opposed to 4.5 hours - http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...nversion-to-L2-L1-combo-DONE!&highlight=chris).
I recently purchased a Duosida L2 16 amp EVSE. Direct from the factory with shipping included was $149. I got it with the NEMA 6-20 plug. This is pretty much the smallest L2 EVSE you can get, but the Volt doesn't need much as it tops out at 3.3kW (roughly 14 amps)

A level 2 EVSE won't save you money unless you frequently drive long distances all day and can stop at home to charge up. Or if your electric company charges time-of-use and only has a small window of low rates. You can still buy a L2 for the convenience, but just keep in mind that it's not necessary or cost saving in most circumstances.
I too have a Duosida that works great. I got the 6-20 plug with the 5-15 adapter. I mounted it to the wall in my garage and got another to carry in the car to take advantage of L2 charging where available.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you are using an American Express credit card to purchase the charger they will extend the warranty on it if it is not permanently wired in, i.e., plug-in version.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
I have a bosch SPX with a plug on the end (not hardwired) so I can take it with me, even though I'm probably never moving away from our dream house. I wish I did my homework as I was so happy about buying the volt, I went to the Bosch website pointed to by the Chevy volt web pages and paid way too much for my EVSE. The plusses, I have a 30A evse so there is a little futureproofing if I end up with another EV. But if I had to do this again, I'd probably get a clipper creek - made in America. The duosida that people are buying is really inexpensive, but the money goes to China, our economic enemy. Just read up on some of the evil things their government does to stay in power and control their people. In my town, la ocal restaurant owner and cook were killed when they returned to China to explain why their loan repayments were late, widowing the young wife with a 5 year old and a newborn.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I got a Bosch Power Max 30A with 25' cable to allow flexibility in reaching various parts of the garage.

Will be 4 years in October since I got it.

No problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Clipper Creek LCS25P. Level 2
Works fine, plug-in dryer-type outlet in garage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you're having a new circuit installed, make it a 50 amp outlet. That way you're future proof and can plug in any charger now be it 15, 30, 40, or 50 amp.

I originally had and SPX Power Express with 18 foot cable, but have replaced it with a Clipper Creek with 25 foot cable. Suggest you get as long a cable as you can, much more flexibility for car position when charging. 25 feet is the max allowable by code.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just used the 120V EVSE that came with our 2012 volt for the first 3 + years, but bought a Siemens Level II almost 2 years ago, for those times a quick charge was beneficial. Purchased one with a plug so I could also use it at my parents when I visit. It was one of the less costly units at the time, around $450 I think.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
637 Posts
Used the stock L1 EVSE for two years, then bought a Duosida L1/L2. 6-20 plug, dedicated 12ga 20amp 240 circuit. It was $150 shipped, and works perfectly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just installed a Siemens VersiCharge. I ordered it online from Lowes when they were running one of their "11% rebate by gift card" deals last week, so it ended up being about $425 for the outdoor rated unit after 5% off with my Lowes care, and 11% back by rebate. It's working just fine so far. It's more amperage than I need for the Volt, but I'll have a teen driver soon, and I'm really thinking about getting him an electric car since the resale value on some of them, like the Fiat 500e or Leaf, makes it such a good value for a first car, and would also have the advantage of limiting how far he can travel to about 70-80 miles on a charge.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts