GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am wondering what you people think makes a car green. I mean, is it enough to have electrical engine or hybrid, or is the production and life-time relevant factors as well?

Actually, I'm writing my master thesis on this very topic in Oslo, Norway. Me and my partner are having trouble to get sufficient respondents (must be native english speaking), so I was hoping you guys could help us. Time is running out for us. We will pick one winner to get a $20 gift card on Amazon for participating.

Find the study here:
https://bino.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bmwGxNAc5zOW4gR

Thanks in advance. I'll be happy to discuss any questions you have.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I just went through your survey. Frankly I think you have too many similar cases for anyone to keep track off in a meaningful way. I think for most people deciding which one is actually the most green is less than a Scientific Wild Ass Guess and there's not enough information there to form a rational opinion.

Good luck with the thesis. My SWAG is most people don't have a clue how green a particular car is or what its carbon emission rate is.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I see that some questions are repeated with few differences, such as body structure, areodynamics, amd so on. For me, ny car that can produce less than 20% of the emissions of a common four-cylinder vehicle is "green". This will include all BEVs and some EVs that travel over 60% under EV power only. Present hybrids still produce plenty of emissions (gases and heat), and their engine maintenance produce waste products (used oil and others) that also contaminate the environment.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Paint.

On more serious note..

Clean for masses comes from "out of sight, out of mind". Clean locally is the determing factor and everyone likes clean air around. EV/FCEV is 100% clean in this case, EREV 80% clean, Hybrid 40% clean, rest are polluters.

Clean for politicians comes from "global warming" religion. Therefore anything that creates CO2 is polluting and anything that makes less CO2 is clean.

Clean for inviduals is anything percived between these.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I have never really liked using the word GREEN but clean as KNI posted seems better.

------------------
Must be some reason most plants reflect it back to us :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Are you asking the question opening, for additional input to help you form your stated thesis, or just want people to fill in the survey?

What is the hypothesis of your thesis?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts