GM Volt Forum banner

Why did you buy a Volt?

• Efficiency (Saves money)

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Technology (It's the future)

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • Appearance (A unique looking car)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Perks (Carpool lane, tax incentives, etc.)

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Environment (It's clean)

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 21 23.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have our own reasons for buying a certain car: Appearance, performance, efficiency, features, etc. What lead you to buying a volt?

I bought a Volt because I love technology. A normal gas burning car just doesn't appeal to me the same way a Hybrid or BEV does. The efficiency is also important to me. It's awesome that I rarely have to visit gas stations anymore. That I also pay a fraction in powering my Volt compared to my old Impala.

What's your reason? (If you have more than one reason, choose the most important in the poll)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I voted "Other" because I could only select one reason and I wanted to select ALL of the other reasons. Another reason was that the Volt provides a means to exceed the range of the battery, essentially giving me two cars in one, so that I can decide to drive across the country at a moment's decision using the same car that is so efficient around town.:cool::cool:

·
Registered
963 Posts
I voted "Other" because I could only select one reason and I wanted to select ALL of the other reasons. Another reason was that the Volt provides a means to exceed the range of the battery, essentially giving me two cars in one, so that I can decide to drive across the country at a moment's decision using the same car that is so efficient around town.:cool::cool:
2nd other vote - same reasons as above.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
As I've stated elsewhere...
I was commuting with my Jeep to the tune of 37 gallons of gasoline per week minimum.
I was seeking a better commuter car and considering a new Ford Focus, but it would have been a very base model.
I wasn't sure I wanted to make that kind of car payment for a stripped down car.
Then I found the Premium Volt (used) at a dealership
AND I discovered my work offers free Lev2 charging.
Suddenly I was able to get an awesome car and the money I am saving on gas is literally my car payment each month!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I voted "Other" as well.

What led me to consider a Volt was a combo of Technology, Efficiency and Environment.

What led me to buy my Volt was Value - bang for my buck.

I got it used so it was relatively inexpensive plus the Technology, Efficiency and Environment plus how nice it drives, smooth, quick, quiet acceleration.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I don't think this is a very useful poll. Other is the closest answer.

There's seldom a single reason for choosing a particular car. It was time to replace my 9 yo. economy car with 90k on it. I didn't have a good feeling about going beyond the powertrain warranty. I did the math and figured I could do a large percentage of my driving without burning gas vs. filling up at least once a week. I was somewhat concerned about the size and seating, but it has turned out not to be a problem. When my parents in their 80s (I'm their ride these days) went on a test drive and liked the car, that meant I could realistically consider the Volt. It's a nice car. I've gone over a month at times without burning gas and I've gone over 2k miles since the last fill up and burned less than a gallon. Is it perfect? Heck, no car is. It's pretty darn good though.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Back when I bought mine, gas was expensive, and I was tired of sending money to other countries that don't like us. Things are a bit different now, but I'm hooked on electric drive now.

So I answered "other", because foreign oil was not a selection, and I wanted to select more than one (efficiency, technology, and environment).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Other...energy independence is probably my primary motivator right now. I want to break free of the gas pump and foreign oil.

Close secondary reasons are the technology, and protection from gas price hikes. 5 years ago my interest in the Volt was driven by gas savings, but that's a harder justification to make right now with gas here at $2.09/gal.

I plan to buy used so tax breaks are a non-issue, though they do drive used Volt market value down to my benefit, and I live in West Michigan so I don't even know what a carpool lane is ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Technology, followed closely by efficiency. I rode in a friends plush, gasoline powered V8 luxury car recently and I was tickled that my Volt has a smother power delivery, although not nearly as much power.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All of the above, plus it has a range extender for the long trips. Will look at an all electric to sit next to the Volt in the driveway, but it won't be replacing it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I voted for efficiency. I bought ours because it fit our diving conditions being a short distance to town. My wife work mileage also was was lest than 10 miles round trip. We where spending $100 a month for fuel before buying a Volt. We hardly ever buy fuel for our Volt. Also if we want to take a trip we can and still cheap fuel. This is our 2nd Volt and love it. Later RJD

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I bought it for the electric drive train. The tax incentives put it over the top for me but I probably would have bought it without the incentives. The fuel economy is a nice perk but bottom line it doesn't really matter to me, my last car had a Hemi which got 14 MPG city and 20 MPG highway so anything looks good compared to that. I also only drive 10K miles per year so the cost of my Hemi's fuel consumption wasn't significant, however I enjoy telling people that I went to the gas station and bought more gas for my lawn mower (2.5 gallon gas can) then I did for my Volt (2 gallon fill up).

The Volt wasn't on my list before I started shopping, it's was just serendipity that I tried one. My Chrysler 300C was in the processs of falling apart. I loved the 300C, it was fast, handled terrifically, was very comfortable, and had lots of storage room, but Chrylser builds in a timer that causes everything to fail in year 11. I had already put $2500 into it in the winter and then I got the bad news that it needed another $3400 worth of work so I had to get rid of it. After I got the bad news from the Chrysler service people I went upstairs to their showroom and test drove a new 300 (a V6 not the Hemi). It was awful. My 300C had been a Daimler Chrysler, the new one is a Fiat Chrysler and the difference is stark, it just looks much cheaper and it drives that way also. The drive train has a new 8 speed transmission and it sucks just like everybody else's 8 speed transmission. There is a Chevy dealer across the street from the Chrysler dealer so I went in for completeness sake. I had a 1980 Chevy Citation and it was so shoddily made that I drove Chrysler's for the next 30 years, however my old Chrysler dealer had closed and the the two remaining dealerships had spectacularly terrible service departments so it was time to go brand shopping again as such I was willing to walk into a Chevy dealer again. I was looking for an AWD car with Android Auto, Chevy doesn't make AWD sedans so I was about to walk out when I saw a huge Volt poster so I asked if they had one for me to test drive. I didn't expect much because the last time I went shopping, in 2005, I test drove a Prius and is was frightening, the Prius doesn't need a speedometer it needs a calendar. The performance of the Volt's electric drive blew me away. It was smooth, silent, and the thing that really surprised me, was very peppy. It doesn't have the neck snapping acceleration of a Hemi, but it's blows away anything that doesn't have a V8. For example the new 300's V6 has a 260 ft lbs of torque, the Volt has 295, and more importantly electric motors deliver the same torque at all speeds, an ICE as a curve and the rated speed is at the top of their curve not at all speeds. I then went down the street to the Honda dealer and tried an Accord. I liked it's blindspot camera and it had Android Auto but it suffered from the same transmission issues as the the Chrysler, jerky, noisy, and because it only had a four banger in it even worse acceleration. Toyota and Ford don't have Android Auto (although they claim that Ford Sync supports it) so I didn't try them. Acura doesn't have Android Auto support either, strange since Honda's do, so I walked out of there. Audi supports it in the 2017 A4 so I test drove the A4 and liked it. The A4 handles really well and they've turbo charged the hell out of their 4 banger so it has excellent acceleration so it made the short list with the Volt. The deciding factors were visibility, the Volt is much better, and passenger comfort, the Audi (and my old 300) have a hump on the transmission that intrudes into the front passenger's space, the Volt has no transmission and hence no hump. The icing on the cake was price, the Audi is $50K, the Volt was sticker-ed at 39 but it had $1K in incentives from Chevy and $10K in tax incentives (7.5 from the Feds and 2.5 from MA). To top that off I was able to get blue book for my old car from the Chevy dealer even though it needed almost that amount of money in repairs, bottom like the Volt cost me 50% of what the Audi would have cost.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I picked 'technology' although it was a bunch of factors such as paying $300/mo for gas to commute in my Hemi Magnum. I would have preferred a wagon design, but, a hatch is almost as good.

I traded the Hemi for the Volt and subsequently traded the Volt for an ELR when ELR's price became more reasonable. I really wanted the two-door Volt show car and the ELR is even better than that. ELR is not as efficient as Volt, but, I don't care to worry about trivial things such as +/- 3mpg. +50mpg vs the Hemi was a big deal that I used to convince the wifey.

Overall both Volt and ELR have been the best cars I have ever owned or driven. Just regular maintenance (and there is not much of that). Fill up the 7-or-so gallons every MONTH and just drive!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
1.) General interest in things Tesla. (A neighbor was/is an early Tesla employee. So I've sorta been following them for a while. Started getting a lot more interested back in 2011 or so, when he was telling me about the Model S.) I also remember when there were EV-1s running around Silicon Valley. Used to see them parked at the free charging station at Frys.

2.) Wifes former 40 mile commute through some very crowded freeway traffic. Green stickers were/are a nice perk. Gen 2 Volts range covered it quite nicely. (Currently shortened to a 28 mile commute and since the same freeways are involved, still a nice perk.)

3.) $7500 tax credit from the feds, $1500 rebate from the state.

4.) Solar system on house to generate power for it. Though after purchasing the Volt, we added some more modules to totally cover its use. (FWIW, my solar installer friend is also a Volt owner.)

5.) I'm both a car buff and a techie. Volt satisfies both of those itches way more than the competition - except of course, Tesla.

6.) Volt is 1/2 to 1/3rd the price of a Model S. Doesn't hold five passengers and "stuff" as well as the Model S, but I have other ICE vehicles for that.

*Edit* Adding:

7.) The enthusiasm of this forum for all things Volt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Efficiency+Technology

The battery in my 04 Prius was starting to show some signs of failure, so I decided on the Volt because of the great reliability/owner satisfaction ratings and the electric range would be plenty for my daily commute.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Gen 1 looks got my attention. (The Gen 2 body does nothing of me, even though its a refined car ) A small car that didnt look like some econobox. Then I drove it and I was sold. What a great ride!

Plus, as an Airline Pilot, this thing is more like a Jetliner than a car. Now we have two. We sold off our Explorer for the first Volt in Nov 2012 and the Expedition for a great loaded 2012 from Lewey Marcucci at Ecolam Automotive. Looking forward to buying number three in less than a year.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts